The infamous selfie -- did you see the look on Michele's face?

BaalChatzaf

Actually, Michelle Obama's uncontrolled reactions reveal a certain lack of focus. When you live in the spotlight as the First Lady of the United States, you do not get to just be yourself. "No reaction" is always the better choice. President Bush was criticized for continuing his elementary school visit when told of 9/11. What would be better? "When in trouble, when in doubt: run in circles; scream and shout."? Best to maintain your composure and deal with it when you can.

Nathaniel Branden said that how people act in emergencies reveals the extent of their self-esteem.

Actually, Michelle Obama's uncontrolled reactions reveal a certain lack of focus. When you live in the spotlight as the First Lady of the United States, you do not get to just be yourself. "No reaction" is always the better choice. President Bush was criticized for continuing his elementary school visit when told of 9/11. What would be better? "When in trouble, when in doubt: run in circles; scream and shout."? Best to maintain your composure and deal with it when you can.

Nathaniel Branden said that how people act in emergencies reveals the extent of their self-esteem.

What would have been better would have been to have a proportionate response.

When you're being told that the country, of which you are President and Commander in Chief of their armed forces, is under attack and that civilians are dying by the thousands *as we speak*... I think it would have been appropriate for him to say "excuse me children, it's been delightful to be with you here, but there are urgent matters that require my attention".

Hell of a lot more appropriate than sitting on his hands while Rome burned. And I was a Bush supporter in those days.

When you're being told that the country, of which you are President and Commander in Chief of their armed forces, is under attack and that civilians are dying by the thousands *as we speak*... I think it would have been appropriate for him to say "excuse me children, it's been delightful to be with you here, but there are urgent matters that require my attention".

Hell of a lot more appropriate than sitting on his hands while Rome burned. And I was a Bush supporter in those days.

I have never understood why people are/were troubled by Bush's reaction.

This was a judgment call. No play books exist for such situations.

I know he must've been in shock - I get that. And I also know that one cannot possibly imagine what it would be like to in that position unless you're in it.

I get all that.

But the fact remains that it would have been perfectly appropriate for him to have a proportionate reaction. It was a reasonable alternative (which would also happen to have been a better one).

Bush probably felt he was doing the right thing at the time by not upsetting the children and finishing their story. We also don't know exactly what his aides told him. I don't see any malicious motive behind his lack of reaction. It probably wasn't the best response, all things considered, but it's a bit unfair to Monday-night-quarterback these details related to an unprecedented developing situation.

Hehe. With that look of anger, no Secret Service agent would be able to stop her.

I can just about hear it when they got back to their quarters: Michelle to Barak: I simply cannot take you anywhere!!!!

I have never understood why people are/were troubled by Bush's reaction.

This was a judgment call. No play books exist for such situations.

As willing as I am to accept that, I must disagree on exactly that point. The "play book" does exist. The black box, the Hot Line... the President must know that some Unmentionable Emergency is always - not a mere possibility - a real probabilty: earthquake in Cincinnati or whatever.

Moreover, we happen to be fans of The West Wing. Osama bin Laden was mentioned several times before 9/11 as a potential threat. Also, the first attack on the WTC was also known.

"Pardon me, but Godzilla just ate New York." is not acceptable. Either leave without any explanation or brass it out

This was not the SS Californian not coming to the aid of the RMS Titanic nor Superman not running to the nearest phone booth.

--Brant