All Good Atheists Go to Heaven

Jonathan

Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

Robert Mickens, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic journal The Tablet, said the pontiff’s comments were further evidence of his attempts to shake off the Catholic Church’s fusty image, reinforced by his extremely conservative predecessor Benedict XVI. “Francis is a still a conservative,” said Mr Mickens. “But what this is all about is him seeking to have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.”

In a welcoming response to the letter, Mr Scalfari said the Pope’s comments were “further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers in dialogue with all”.

In July, Francis signalled a more progressive attitude on sexuality, asking: “If someone is gay and is looking for the Lord, who am I to judge him?”

I tried to go to Heaven where all the good people are supposed to go. I met Saint Peter at the gate. He told me to go to Hell.

I followed advice and went to Hell. Satan the Devil kicked me out of Hell. He said: "We have enough trouble here already; we don't need YOU!"

So I came back to planet Earth. And that's why I'm here.

The reason why Satan the Devil kicked me out of Hell is I tried to take over his job. I figured Satan as CEO of Hell should make some effort to promote the goddamn place. It is not very well promoted. Most people don't want to go there. And I figured Satan should do something about the bad publicity he gets in the press. For example some of the passages in the Bible about Satan the Devil are outright character assassination.

Heaven is not what it's cracked up to be. For example in Heaven (unlike on Earth) sex is a sin and is not allowed. The inmates of Heaven complained to management; they figured eternity is a long time to go without sex. Management came up with a compromise; now they get to go to Hell on weekends so they can have sex.

Here's an interesting take on the belief that non-believers will be condemned to hell merely for not believing in God prior to death and prior to appearing before the pearly gates (prior to being exposed to proof of the existence of God and the afterlife):

http://www.judeochristianity.org/hell.htm

Perhaps Pope Frank is coming from a similar interpretation.

J

Looks like the Pope is coming around to the views of the church fathers still alive after Jesus' crucifixion.

Billy Graham has been soft-peddling hell for quite some time now, for many of the same reasons quoted by the Pope.

My guess is that by the time most of us are on our death beds (hopefully no less than 20-30 years from now...), Universalism will be (once again) a central doctrine of many Christian churches.