The Liberty Amendments: Restoring The American Republic...by Mark R. Levin

Selene

That's ok, Brant. :smile:

It would be a tough sell

trying to defend

the current state

of the US government.

So I'll let it go.

You didn't have to insult my grandfather for writing the definitive biography of James Madison.

--Brant

you're probably the first

My New Deal grandfather seemingly understood this when he invoked Madison to support Roosevelt's domestic policies before Congress.

Sorry, Brant. It's not personal and has nothing to do with you. It's just an opinion about something that was a long time ago. I don't think much of politicians who pimped for FDR's big government programs... just as I don't think much of politicians who pimp for big government programs today.

Greg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Brant. It's not personal and has nothing to do with you. It's just an opinion about something that was a long time ago. I don't think much of politicians who pimped for FDR's big government programs... just as I don't think much of politicians who pimp for big government programs today.

Greg

We hates them, Precioussssss.....

Ba'al Chatzaf

It would be a tough sell

trying to defend

the current state

of the US government.

So I'll let it go.

You didn't have to insult my grandfather for writing the definitive biography of James Madison.

--Brant

My New Deal grandfather seemingly understood this when he invoked Madison to support Roosevelt's domestic policies before Congress.

Greg

Sigh. You don't hang half the man pretending the rest of him doesn't exist. Irving Brant deserves historical and even your censure for being a New Dealer, but not as a human being who made a fool of himself spending over twenty years researching and writing a biography of a most important but badly remembered President done with admirable scholarship. Rose Wilder Lane, as radical a libertarian as any ever, practically drooled over getting the next volume in spite of its "New Deal bias" since it was so obvious and aboveboard. I know what set you off and I know the rest of the sentence went blank for you and still is blank because you didn't quote it. I could go semantical and say he wasn't a politician too, but that would be injustice from me. You and I are on different levels of exactness. I can say you over-generalize, and I have, but you can say I get too particular, which I'm sure I do sometimes, which wouldn't gainsay the value that might be there in one and the other.

--Brant

hey, that's nothing; my father was a crypto-Nazi: hang him if you want; I won't feel bad or angry; wait for my American-Firster post about what he did in the years just before WWII

It would be a tough sell

trying to defend

the current state

of the US government.

So I'll let it go.

--Brant

Greg

Sigh. You don't hang half the man pretending the rest of him doesn't exist. Irving Brant deserves historical and even your censure for being a New Dealer, but not as a human being who made a fool of himself spending over twenty years researching and writing a biography of a most important but badly remembered President done with admirable scholarship. Rose Wilder Lane, as radical a libertarian as any ever, practically drooled over getting the next volume in spite of its "New Deal bias" since it was so obvious and aboveboard. I know what set you off and I know the rest of the sentence went blank for you and still is blank because you didn't quote it. I could go semantical and say he wasn't a politician too, but that would be injustice from me. You and I are on different levels of exactness. I can say you over-generalize, and I have, but you can say I get too particular, which I'm sure I do sometimes, which wouldn't gainsay the value that might be there in one and the other.

--Brant

hey, that's nothing; my father was a crypto-Nazi: hang him if you want; I won't feel bad or angry; wait for my American-Firster post about what he did in the years just before WWII

It's completely impossible for one opinion of just one person out of billions of people on Earth to "hang" anyone, Brant. While I can appreciate you wanting to make an issue out of this because he was your ancestor, someone who was in a position of public responsibility and used it to make the rotten parasite infested government bureaucracy larger affected hundreds of millions of people.

Greg

No, no, no. You are completely oblivious about what was important and valuable about him which is my whole point and which puts you out of your depth. I'm not trying to change you but I won't let you get away with it, not for you but for him. Maybe you aren't out of your depth, though; maybe it's simply no overlap between his world as a constitutional expert, writer, scholar and yours. Probably it's that "view" thingy again. He also wrote, BTW, The Bill of Rights, Its Origin and Meaning. You know, about the freedoms infecting hundreds of millions of Americans today, yesterday and tomorrow and the English heroes who made them possible.

--Brant

epistemological and moral molasses

No, no, no. You are completely oblivious about what was important and valuable about him which is my whole point and which puts you out of your depth. I'm not trying to change you but I won't let you get away with it, not for you but for him. Maybe you aren't out of your depth, though; maybe it's simply no overlap between his world as a constitutional expert, writer, scholar and yours. Probably it's that "view" thingy again.

--Brant

epistemological molasses

That's a totally insightful assessment, Brant. You got it! :smile:

There is no overlap in our worlds.

Government funded academics are completely useless in my world. My world is where people make things work. :wink:

Greg

No, no, no. You are completely oblivious about what was important and valuable about him which is my whole point and which puts you out of your depth. I'm not trying to change you but I won't let you get away with it, not for you but for him. Maybe you aren't out of your depth, though; maybe it's simply no overlap between his world as a constitutional expert, writer, scholar and yours. Probably it's that "view" thingy again.

--Brant

epistemological molasses

Government funded academics are completely useless in my world. My world is where people make things work. :wink:

Greg

No. Academics, scholars and intellectuals and their works are. "Government funded" is only icing on your cake.

--Brant

get rid of "government funded"--I'm all for that

I can drive an 18 wheeler, a nail and a bargain

Greg:

Out of curiosity, does your particular brand of Christianity have an exclusionary tenet that forbids respecting your elders?

And I do not mean Brant.

A...

--Brant

epistemological molasses

Greg

No. Academics, scholars and intellectuals and their works are. "Government funded" is only icing on your cake.

--Brant

get rid of "government funded"--I'm all for that

I can drive an 18 wheeler, a nail and a bargain

No. Not your world. There's no overlap between my world and the world of "FDR New Deal" big government loving politicians.

Greg

The necessary congruence between the intellectual world and big government...

"Intellect and big government" is oxymoronic. :wink:

Greg

People who make the above statement are ________________________.

Fill in the blank folks...

Additionally, and I am no grammarian. Wouldn't it be "are?"

A...

Not grammatically gifted...

The necessary congruence between the intellectual world and big government...

"Intellect and big government" is oxymoronic. :wink:

Greg

People who make the above statement are ________________________.

Fill in the blank folks...

Additionally, and I am no grammarian. Wouldn't it be "are?"

A...

Not grammatically gifted...

The oxymoronic combination of intellect and big government would be singular, so it would be "is".

Greg

"Is" is fine. It refers to a statement, not its parts.

--Brant

not a grammarian either

Well...

that does "...depend on what the meaning of 'is,' 'is."'

the imortal words of William Jefferson Clinton, good 'ole boy! First Black President. Second to be impeached.

Or, as his girl friends refer to him, B.J., no not the one in M.A.S.H.

I have always believed that Lady Macbeth was the power behind the marxist...

220px-Lady_Macbeth_Cattermole.jpg

and she has a lot of pent up anger...

A...

When I saw POTUS , at a memorial service, participating in a 'group' "selfie", it made me wonder whether or not plants really do crave electrolytes

Could you explain that?

Who is the babe (I don't mean Michelle)?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Who is the babe (I don't mean Michelle)?

Ba'al Chatzaf

I believe she is the Prime Minister of Denmark...