Recent Asiana Flight 214 Crash in San Francisco

Having Asian names does not explain why airplane crashes occur. The pilots came in low and slow which is the Cardinal Sin of flying. He who comes in low and slow on final will most likely not become an Old Pilot. Better to come in a bit too hot than to come in slow on final.

By the way, North Koreans flying Mig-15 s did a number and a half on U.S. B-29s during the Korean War.

I can assure you there was no chink in their armor.

Ba'al Chatzaf

There was a Chinaman named Bob Kolker. The Chinaman and Bob Kolker were in a lineup. They asked Bob Kolker what's your name. Bob Kolker said "Bob Kolker". Then they asked the Chinaman what's your name. Chinaman said "Sam Ting".

I guess some people have a different slant on life and death...

Having Asian names does not explain why airplane crashes occur. The pilots came in low and slow which is the Cardinal Sin of flying. He who comes in low and slow on final will most likely not become an Old Pilot. Better to come in a bit too hot than to come in slow on final.

By the way, North Koreans flying Mig-15 s did a number and a half on U.S. B-29s during the Korean War.

Ba'al Chatzaf

My 95 yo uncle was at Pearl Harbor, Midway and Guaalcanal before he got shot up by a Japanese Zero's exploding 20mm cannon fire as a navigator on a B-17. Spent a year in the hospital and rehab. Flew in B-29s in Korea and B-36s out of Puerto Rico before retiring after 20. He can't wear all his medals and walk in a straight line. He told me that he got to stand down one day when +200 B-29s took off. Over 20 didn't come back.

--Brant

they tried to jazz up the B-29 by giving it bigger engines and calling it a B-50; I asked him if in war the B-36s would have gotten through to their Soviet targets: "Oh, boy! Would they!"--each carried one gigantic H-bomb, that's how big they were in the late 1950s, and the target of his bomb required that they fly over his father's birthplace (1871), go on another hundred or so miles and let er rip

low and slow?--low, yes, but slow?, I doubt it--when you hit the throttles to go around and you have turbine engines you don't get an immediate response as with piston engines: the pilots tried to go around but it was too late (the tail was ripped off, it seems, when it hit the retaining wall)

I prefer stupid to funny. While their brains are frozen their mouths keep moving. I suppose that could be funny, but more like funny strange rather than funny ha, ha.

--Brant

the blather about integrity and high standards was more of the same, like the naked emperor admiring his clothes

Ba'al Chatzaf

My 95 yo uncle was at Pearl Harbor, Midway and Guaalcanal before he got shot up by a Japanese Zero's exploding 20mm cannon fire as a navigator on a B-17. Spent a year in the hospital and rehab. Flew in B-29s in Korea and B-36s out of Puerto Rico before retiring after 20. He can't wear all his medals and walk in a straight line. He told me that he got to stand down one day when +200 B-29s took off. Over 20 didn't come back.

--Brant

they tried to jazz up the B-29 by giving it bigger engines and calling it a B-50; I asked him if in war the B-36s would have gotten through to their Soviet targets: "Oh, boy! Would they!"--each carried one gigantic H-bomb, that's how big they were in the late 1950s, and the target of his bomb required that they fly over his father's birthplace (1871), go on another hundred or so miles and let er rip

low and slow?--low, yes, but slow?, I doubt it--when you hit the throttles to go around and you have turbine engines you don't get an immediate response as with piston engines: the pilots tried to go around but it was too late (the tail was ripped off, it seems, when it hit the retaining wall)

Slow is a relative term. It looks like that crashed plane went into a stall at very low altitude. The pilot tried to recover the stall and failed.

As is sometimes said: There are Old pilots and Bold pilots but no Old Bold pilots. The shortest way not to become an Old pilot is to stall on final.

Happy landings and any landing you can walk away from is a Good Landing.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Time to remember there are old not too bold pilots up there, heroes like Sully, unique but I hope not unrepresentative of the profession.

I have nominated Sully to be God. He is a special man. I have always regarded pilots as the best of our Race and Sully is partial corroboration of that.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Time to remember there are old not too bold pilots up there, heroes like Sully, unique but I hope not unrepresentative of the profession.

I have nominated Sully to be God. He is a special man. I have always regarded pilots as the best of our Race and Sully is partial corroboration of that.

Ba'al Chatzaf

They tried to computer simulate duplicate what Sully did and they couldn't do it. I've flown small airplanes up and down the Hudson over the George Washington Bridge and I'm amazed too. Best pilot bar none for what happened considering his knowledge, training, responsibilities and experience, and he was at the controls. How does that happen? I don't know, but it did.

--Brant

it seems the computer shut down the engines after the bird strikes depriving him of the ability to keep them going for a return to the airport though probably ruining them