Food Trucks Shrug!

Food Trucks Shrug!

By Edward Hudgins

May 6, 2013 -- At Farragut Park and other locations in Washington, D.C., food vendors have their trucks parked as usual at lunch time today but they are not serving the throngs of hungry customers. They are on strike against proposed D.C. regulations that would drive many of them out of business and limit consumer choice. Atlas is shrugging and The Atlas Society’s Edward Hudgins reports!

Food Trucks Shrug! with Edward Hudgins from The Atlas Society on Vimeo.

For further reading:

*Alexander R. Cohen, “Town's Food Truck Law May Be Confusing, But the Principle Is Clear.” October 2, 2012.

*Alexander R. Cohen, “Vinnie Shrugs.” September 21, 2012.

*Alexander R. Cohon, “Cronyists Shut Business, Sunder Family, Put Teen Entrepreneur In Homeless Shelter.” August 10, 2012.

I'm happy to see these businesses standing up for themselves. I worked in a building next to Farragut Park last summer and ate lunch there frequently. While I personally found them overpriced and a bit faddish, the food trucks were the main draw of that area and served many of those working there. I never once heard anyone complain about them, and I certainly didn't notice any health or safety issues. Either this is the conceit of the DC central planners imagining up a "problem" that needs fixing, or the association didn't pay their "protection money" this month.

Why make so much of this strike or boycott? Strikes and boycotts are has common as the cold.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Robert - I believe that local restaurants don't like the competition and are lobbying the D.C. political hacks to crack down. Government power to regulate is the problem!

Ed

I have no doubt of that. However the strikes and boycotts will not necessarily work. Money does not merely talk, it screams at the top of its lungs.

Ba'a; Chatzaf

Robert - I believe that local restaurants don't like the competition and are lobbying the D.C. political hacks to crack down. Government power to regulate is the problem!

Ed

Goes on each and every day. Appalling.