Devastating billboard angers the MSM, other left

Jerry Biggers

Pro-gun billboard featuring Native Americans causing controversy in Colorado

130429-gun-indian-billboard-936p.photobl

Jim Rydbom / Greeley Tribune via AP

A billboard on U.S. 85 and 18th Street in Greeley, Colo., has residents upset on how the political billboard is depicting Native American.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the billboard: the mainstream media and their cohorts are having a fit about this Do a Google search on Indian Billboard, practically all the headlines claim outrage by American Indians, but deep down in some of the articles, it is admitted that some Indians have stated that they are not outraged by the message or the depiction.

The MSM is SCREAMING about this and the reason is quite evident, since it strikes at the very heart of government paternalism and what can happen you if let the government "help" you!

It reminds me of Ronald Reagan's quip from one of his speeches:

"The nine most frightening words in the English language are - 'We're from the government , and we're here to help!'"

(this may be a slight paraphrase, but it is very close). see

Amazingly good marketing, but talk about dropping and chopping context.

How so Carol?

How so Carol?

How so Carol?
The Indians (and later the English) were attacking enemies against whom early Americans needed to be armed. That was the context of amendment.

The American government, however satanic, does not consider the American populace an attacking enemy aginst its own government. It just doesn't.

I respectfully disagree. Take a look at the disgraceful history of the broken promises (and broken treaties!!) of the federal government to the American Indians.

The point of the billboard was that government paternalism can result in completely unintended results.

I respectfully disagree. Take a look at the disgraceful history of the broken promises (and broken treaties!!) of the federal government to the American Indians.

The point of the billboard was that government paternalism can result in completely unintended results.

You are right about the treaties of course. Canada was as bad.

"O come Riel, and make a stand...here at Batoche, beside the river

O nevermind their Gatling guns.

If we lose today, we've lost forever"

Incidentally, it was one of the "Progressive" icons (and a model that Obama has specifically referred to, asa predescessor to his own political agenda), Theodore Roosevelt, who rejected the final proposal of the American Indian tribes for statehood for the western half of what is now called Oklahoma.

The MSM is SCREAMING about this and the reason is quite evident, since it strikes at the very heart of government paternalism and what can happen you if let the government "help" you!

I found this statement curious, since I hadn't heard about this story either on TV or in the news I read. So I thought, well... maybe I just didn't see it as I was perusing my daily MSM smorgasbord, and my buddy George Soros forget to mention it to me when I called him last night.

So I went to cnn.com and ran a screen search for "billboard". Nope, the story is nowhere on the front page.

So I thought, well surely if the MSM is screaming something, it'll be front and center on the NPR page. Nope. Nowhere.

Well, maybe a more popular MSM source will hae it right on their page, right? So how about NBC. Nope.

Well, surely Think Progress will have it front and center, SCREAMING IT from the their cyber rooftop, right?

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

How about Fox News? Nope.

Drudge Report? Yeah, it's on there, but barely a footnote..

So if by "SCREAMING" you mean "not important enough to them for them to put it on their site's main index page", then yeah... you're absolutely right!

But this word "SCREAMING"... I do not think it means what you think it means.

I found this statement curious, since I hadn't heard about this story either on TV or in the news I read. So I thought, well... maybe I just didn't see it as I was perusing my daily MSM smorgasbord, and my buddy George Soros forget to mention it to me when I called him last night.

So I went to cnn.com and ran a screen search for "billboard". Nope, the story is nowhere on the front page.

So I thought, well surely if the MSM is screaming something, it'll be front and center on the NPR page. Nope. Nowhere.

Well, maybe a more popular MSM source will hae it right on their page, right? So how about NBC. Nope.

Well, surely Think Progress will have it front and center, SCREAMING IT from the their cyber rooftop, right?

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

So if by "SCREAMING" you mean "not important enough to them for them to put it on their site's main index page", then yeah... you're absolutely right!

Hi Kacy,

Does the Navy censor what you can receive? Nah, I'm sure that OUR government would not do such a thing.

When I said "SCREAMING," perhaps I should have added the following to describe the reaction of the MSM:

HYSTERICAL, BOILING MAD, OUTRAGED, PISSED-OFF, DEMANDING THAT IT BE TAKEN DOWN. and a few other terms.

Assuming you have Google search engine, try this: type in "American Indian gun rights billboard" without the quotes, and hit ENTER..

As of 10 minutes ago, I typed that in and got over 20 pages of hits, there are probably a lot more, but I stopped looking at 20 pages.

OR try this link: american indian gun rights billboard

(For some reason the above link did not copy here as a direct link. No matter, just type it yourself into Google. If you do not get what I just described, let me know and I will copy directly a number of pages of the Google results.

-Jerry

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

Hi Kacy,

Does the Navy censor what you can receive? Nah, I'm sure that OUR government would not do such a thing.

When I said "SCREAMING," perhaps I should have added the following to describe the reaction of the MSM:

HYSTERICAL, BOILING MAD, OUTRAGED, PISSED-OFF, DEMANDING THAT IT BE TAKEN DOWN. and a few other terms.

Assuming you have Google search engine, try this: type in "American Indian gun rights billboard" without the quotes, and hit ENTER..

As of 10 minutes ago, I typed that in and got over 20 pages of hits, there are probably a lot more, but I stopped looking at 20 pages.

(For some reason the above link did not copy here as a direct link. No matter, just type it yourself into Google. If you do not get what I just described, let me know and I will copy directly a number of pages of the Google results.

-Jerry

Just so I understand... in order to find an article on what the MSM is SCREAMING, HYSTERICAL, PISSED-OFF, BOILING MAD, OUTRAGED about, I have to go to google and do a deliberate search. I wouldn't have found out about it by, say... just checking the news on an MSM source.

Roger that. Carry on.

Sounds to me like the only hysteria is coming from... you?

But I think I'm starting to see that you're one of "those"... the kind that projects emotion onto others. I have known lots of people like that. You can tell who they are, because you can say something in a perfectly even tone, calm, collected, but in disagreement with something they've said, and they'll go "Well, you don't have to go getting all pissy about it!"

One guy on this board likes to claim that I get "red-faced" when I'm typing to him. I suppose it's a logical tactic - if you can characterize your opponent as flustered and upset, you can give observers the impression that you've somehow scored a point. And as an added bonus, your opponent can't deny the projection of that emotion without incurring further accusations of projected emotion, so it's a win-win for folks who use that tactic.

When people do that to me IRL, I usually just tell 'em... "Ah, you're one of 'those'". That usually gets them flustered and pissed, then I can smile and watch. It's great fun.

I'll tell you, I'm glad you informed me about how hysterical the MSM is getting over this billboard in true sensationalist caps-lock fashion. Because if you hadn't, I'd never have known about it. Sounds like none of us would have.

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

KacyRay:

The sarcasm.gif is getting a tad tinny and repetitious.

Would you posit that not covering a story is an affirmative act?

For example, one of my very good friends was a producer for NBC evening TV news for two decades. Her discussions with me confirmed that there are meetings every day as to what agenda stories will be aired. These meetings clearly state what agenda stories will be shown, and, most importantly, what stories will be suppressed.

Do you doubt that these meetings take place every day at every corporate media conglomerate?

A...

Kacy,

I checked the Google search in one of Jerry's search terms (American Indian gun rights billboard) and got surprised, It is very difficult on a web search to see the first page of SERPS (search engine results pages) only feature MSM news sites. You get that on Google News, but rarely on a normal search.

With the exception of Indianz, that's what this term does. To wit:

Denver Post
Fox News
Washington Post‎
cnsnews.com
www.gopusa.com
www.foxnews.com
ABC News
www.indianz.com
usnews.nbcnews.com
www.examiner.com
www.upi.com
www.nydailynews.com

The second page continues more of the same, except some blogs start appearing. Ditto third page and so on.

The hysteria basically starts on the second page and increases as it goes along, but I'm only talking about headlines. I didn't look at the articles.

That result is pretty compelling. There's a strong churn going on.

This suggests to me that if you did not find this story when you visited your MSM sources, maybe you didn't look very hard. It was definitely there.

Anyway, I say this for accuracy. Back to the bicker...

:smile:

Michael

One guy on this board likes to claim that I get "red-faced" when I'm typing to him.

Kacy - I tried to look up your old whispersessions blog to find one of those pictures of you screaming at Isolani and holding a "F*** YOU" sign up for the camera. I know those photos were probably taken in jest, but I thought it would be funny to post it in response to your comment here. Your blog has since been deleted, so I wasn't able to find them. Such is the nature of things.

However, in the course of that search, I did come across your old livejournal blog. After reading through a couple dozen of our old conversations, I just want to share something with you: even if you don't remember or deny it now, we had a lot of really good discussions back then. The level of discourse was high. Most of it wasn't acrimonious at all. The few threads I found that could be considered real arguments seemed to be under a mutual understanding that it was all in sport.

Based on what I read today, I don't think I've significantly changed. My comments from back then read mostly the same as they do now, although some of my positions have evolved. I'm just wondering why you approach these discussions so differently now, with less patience, and what specifically it was that "set you off" with me.

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

Hi Kacy,

-Jerry

Just so I understand... in order to find an article on what the MSM is SCREAMING, HYSTERICAL, PISSED-OFF, BOILING MAD, OUTRAGED about, I have to go to google and do a deliberate search. I wouldn't have found out about it by, say... just checking the news on an MSM source.

Roger that. Carry on.

But I think I'm starting to see that you're one of "those"... the kind that projects emotion onto others. I have known lots of people like that. You can tell who they are, because you can say something in a perfectly even tone, calm, collected, but in disagreement with something they've said, and they'll go "Well, you don't have to go getting all pissy about it!"

One guy on this board likes to claim that I get "red-faced" when I'm typing to him. I suppose it's a logical tactic - if you can characterize your opponent as flustered and upset, you can give observers the impression that you've somehow scored a point. And as an added bonus, your opponent can't deny the projection of that emotion without incurring further accusations of projected emotion, so it's a win-win for folks who use that tactic.

When people do that to me IRL, I usually just tell 'em... "Ah, you're one of 'those'". That usually gets them flustered and pissed, then I can smile and watch. It's great fun.

I'll tell you, I'm glad you informed me about how hysterical the MSM is getting over this billboard in true sensationalist caps-lock fashion. Because if you hadn't, I'd never have known about it. Sounds like none of us would have.

Kacy,

The first several links below are from the news sources where you initially tried to find information, but could not. For each news source, I used their own search engine, and typed in "American Indian Gun Rights Billboard." (without, of course, the quotation marks). Perhaps that is why they did not come up in your initial search.

Included here are MSM sources: Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC,The Washington Post (that's a link from Drudge), The Huffington Post, some American Indian websites and a lot more. And on the bottom, I have included the search on Google, using the same phrase.. You can count them if you wish, I think there are about a 1,000 links (so far)..This search request was from the "regular" non-specific Google search, Michael is right that Google - News would have had much more.

You were however, correct about lack of coverage from NPR and from "ThinkProgress." The rest of the MSM and other Leftist news sources jumped on the story.

I am sorry if my use of caps describing some of the reactions to the billboard was considered "overreacting." I think I forgot, "insensitve," and "incensed" to the list. I am sure more can be found in the cited articles.

Oh, a few video links have also been included, from Fox (a discussion pane) and from CNN.

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE (oops, caps again! Sorry):

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/30/native-americans-incensed-over-pro-gun-rights-billboard-in-colorado/

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2341557364001/controversy-over-pro-gun-billboard-in-colorado/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/us/colorado-gun-billboard/index.html?iref=allsearch

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/us/colorado-gun-billboard/index.html?iref=allsearch

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17976890-pro-gun-billboard-featuring-native-americans-causing-controversy-in-colorado?lite

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/anonymous-gun-rights-billboards-featuring-native-americans-draws-criticism-in-colorado/2013/04/29/b3611f66-b134-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2013/04/30/pro-gun-rights-billboard-depicting-american-indians-sparks-outrage/

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23134596/american-indian-images-colorado-gun-rights-billboards-stir

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/billboards-attacked-for-using-native-americans-to-argue-gun-rights/

http://www.indianz.com/News/2013/009526.asp

http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=48935

http://999thepoint.com/pro-gun-rights-american-indian-billboard-in-greeley-causing-controversy-poll/

http://gawker.com/billboard-exploits-native-american-history-to-sell-pro-486105840

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pro-gun-billboards-colorado-outrage-native-americans-article-1.1331352

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/progun-native-american-bi_n_3179065.html

http://cowboybyte.com/21202/native-americans-incensed-over-pro-gun-rights-billboard-in-colorado/

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/5842-native-americans-outraged-over-pro-gun-billboard-in-colorado

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/04/30/American-Indians-angered-over-photo-used-in-pro-gun-billboard/UPI-78721367321225/

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/04/30/native-americans-pro-gun-billboards-create-controversy-149106

http://www.google.com/#q=american+indian+rights+billboard&hl=en&ei=8TGEUab8MYf30gHkuoHQCQ&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=d6eb20e5e61bebbd&biw=1366&bih=646http://www.google.com/#q=american+indian+rights+billboard&hl=en&ei=8TGEUab8MYf30gHkuoHQCQ&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=d6eb20e5e61bebbd&biw=1366&bih=646

tumblr_kvrje4jp8X1qapdfko1_500_0.jpg

Welcome to the bigs KacyRay!

(Looking around to see if anyone is listening.) I know a little secret. The Globalists plan to start a war against the people. But they act like Romulans. Romulans seldom attack first. Romulans provoke the other side to attack first and then counterattack. That's what the Globalists plan to do. They will take away your freedoms little by little until people fight back with violence. Then the Globalists will have an excuse to crack down on 'terrorists'. If you fight back, you lose the war and your freedoms. If you don't fight back, you lose your freedoms. They have it figured out.

Who are the terrorists? Originally the terrorists were those who did 9-11. Now the terrorists are those who believe in the Constitution and Libertarians and those who in any way oppose the government. Maybe also those who grow a garden and those who collect rain water on their own property. Government is always looking for excuses to turn you into a terrorist. Do you know who the real terrorists are? Government.

Yup. Government is preparing a war against you. No guns for you. Plenty of guns for them. Violate your freedoms until you are so pig biting angry that you want to grab your gun. Oops, you don't have a gun. But somebody will somehow start a losing war.

I could fix this problem right now but that would be a violation of the Prime Directive. I do not believe humans will survive long enough to become a warp capable civilization. In my report I will write that in my estimation, the human species is not a danger to the rest of the galaxy.

(Looking around to see if anyone is listening.) I know a little secret. The Globalists plan to start a war against the people. But they act like Romulans. Romulans seldom attack first. Romulans provoke the other side to attack first and then counterattack. That's what the Globalists plan to do. They will take away your freedoms little by little until people fight back with violence. Then the Globalists will have an excuse to crack down on 'terrorists'. If you fight back, you lose the war and your freedoms. If you don't fight back, you lose your freedoms. They have it figured out.

Who are the terrorists? Originally the terrorists were those who did 9-11. Now the terrorists are those who believe in the Constitution and Libertarians and those who in any way oppose the government. Maybe also those who grow a garden and those who collect rain water on their own property. Government is always looking for excuses to turn you into a terrorist. Do you know who the real terrorists are? Government.

Yup. Government is preparing a war against you. No guns for you. Plenty of guns for them. Violate your freedoms until you are so pig biting angry that you want to grab your gun. Oops, you don't have a gun. But somebody will somehow start a losing war.

I could fix this problem right now but that would be a violation of the Prime Directive. I do not believe humans will survive long enough to become a warp capable civilization. In my report I will write that in my estimation, the human species is not a danger to the rest of the galaxy.

Jerry:

Sometimes your lack of any rationality astounds me.

A...

Without wanting to get embroiled in your perspective, I would point out that the main flaw in your thesis lies in your notion of "government" as a monolithic entitiy. Your thinking is far too primitive -- too much "black vs. white" or "us vs. them"

Yes, we can talk about "government" in conceptual terms, but normal people understand that "government" is nothing other than a collection of individuals, each with their own unique perspective, stations in life, and motivations. So, for example, you might have an FBI director who is bothered by his wife's adulteries, and takes his frustrations out on his charges, one of whom is struggling with his faith in God, and who subsequently alters his behavior around Christian suspects. This is only one example. Yes, it's important to realize that people in power, those who have authority, tend to do what they can to maintain their power, but they are not a BORG, and I would suggest your thinking needs to become more nuanced.

Kacy,

I checked the Google search in one of Jerry's search terms (American Indian gun rights billboard) and got surprised, It is very difficult on a web search to see the first page of SERPS (search engine results pages) only feature MSM news sites. You get that on Google News, but rarely on a normal search.

With the exception of Indianz, that's what this term does. To wit:

Denver Post

Fox News

Washington Post‎

cnsnews.com

www.gopusa.com

www.foxnews.com

ABC News

www.indianz.com

usnews.nbcnews.com

www.examiner.com

www.upi.com

www.nydailynews.com

The second page continues more of the same, except some blogs start appearing. Ditto third page and so on.

The hysteria basically starts on the second page and increases as it goes along, but I'm only talking about headlines. I didn't look at the articles.

That result is pretty compelling. There's a strong churn going on.

This suggests to me that if you did not find this story when you visited your MSM sources, maybe you didn't look very hard. It was definitely there.

Anyway, I say this for accuracy. Back to the bicker...

:smile:

Michael

Michael,

My entire point was that, if one has to look hard for something, then it's a bit deceptive to claim that the MSM is SCREAMING about it.

At no time did I suggest that they didn't cover they story at all. I never doubted that they did. But if one is going to accuse the MSM of SCREAMING about something, shouldn't it be something they put on their front page front and center?

After all, it has been common practice for the media to put their most urgent or relevant stories right on the front page. On the web, they put literally dozens of stories on the front page. Yet not a word about this story anywhere on the front page of any of these MSM news sources.

So, as my point has clearly been missed here in this thread, I'll make it plain as day: When one uses language such as Jerry used to describe the MSM's treatment of this story, and it is so clearly incongruous with their actual treatment of the story, there is a clear lack of honest reporting taking place...on Jerry part.

And if you actually click the links and read the articles (as I just did), you'll find that the coverage of these stories is no different than any other story. There's simply nothing here to indicate SCREAMING, let alone "HYSTERICAL, BOILING MAD, OUTRAGED, PISSED-OFF, DEMANDING THAT IT BE TAKEN DOWN". Those qualities are simply absent from the reporting. that I saw.

My point was not that the billboard story wasn't covered by the MSM. My point was that the "hysterical" nature of the coverage was projected by Jerry into the reporting - not actually part of the coverage.

tumblr_kvrje4jp8X1qapdfko1_500_0.jpg
Welcome to the bigs KacyRay!

Can't see whatever you're posting here, but I get the feeling that you also missed my point.

Whoops. Nope. Not there.

Hi Kacy,

-Jerry

Roger that. Carry on.

Kacy,

The first several links below are from the news sources where you initially tried to find information, but could not. For each news source, I used their own search engine, and typed in "American Indian Gun Rights Billboard." (without, of course, the quotation marks). Perhaps that is why they did not come up in your initial search.

Included here are MSM sources: Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC,The Washington Post (that's a link from Drudge), The Huffington Post, some American Indian websites and a lot more. And on the bottom, I have included the search on Google, using the same phrase.. You can count them if you wish, I think there are about a 1,000 links (so far)..This search request was from the "regular" non-specific Google search, Michael is right that Google - News would have had much more.

You were however, correct about lack of coverage from NPR and from "ThinkProgress." The rest of the MSM and other Leftist news sources jumped on the story.

I am sorry if my use of caps describing some of the reactions to the billboard was considered "overreacting." I think I forgot, "insensitve," and "incensed" to the list. I am sure more can be found in the cited articles.

Oh, a few video links have also been included, from Fox (a discussion pane) and from CNN.

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE (oops, caps again! Sorry):

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/30/native-americans-incensed-over-pro-gun-rights-billboard-in-colorado/

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2341557364001/controversy-over-pro-gun-billboard-in-colorado/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17976890-pro-gun-billboard-featuring-native-americans-causing-controversy-in-colorado?lite

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/anonymous-gun-rights-billboards-featuring-native-americans-draws-criticism-in-colorado/2013/04/29/b3611f66-b134-11e2-9fb1-62de9581c946_story.html

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2013/04/30/pro-gun-rights-billboard-depicting-american-indians-sparks-outrage/

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23134596/american-indian-images-colorado-gun-rights-billboards-stir

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/billboards-attacked-for-using-native-americans-to-argue-gun-rights/

http://www.indianz.com/News/2013/009526.asp

http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=48935

http://999thepoint.com/pro-gun-rights-american-indian-billboard-in-greeley-causing-controversy-poll/

http://gawker.com/billboard-exploits-native-american-history-to-sell-pro-486105840

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pro-gun-billboards-colorado-outrage-native-americans-article-1.1331352

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/progun-native-american-bi_n_3179065.html

http://cowboybyte.com/21202/native-americans-incensed-over-pro-gun-rights-billboard-in-colorado/

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/5842-native-americans-outraged-over-pro-gun-billboard-in-colorado

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/04/30/American-Indians-angered-over-photo-used-in-pro-gun-billboard/UPI-78721367321225/

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/04/30/native-americans-pro-gun-billboards-create-controversy-149106

http://www.google.com/#q=american+indian+rights+billboard&hl=en&ei=8TGEUab8MYf30gHkuoHQCQ&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=d6eb20e5e61bebbd&biw=1366&bih=646http://www.google.com/#q=american+indian+rights+billboard&hl=en&ei=8TGEUab8MYf30gHkuoHQCQ&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=d6eb20e5e61bebbd&biw=1366&bih=646

After everything I've said in my comments to you... you were still under the impression that I was having difficulty *finding* a story about the billboard?

My point eluded you too, apparently. But don't worry, you're in good company.

Anyway, refer to my comment to Michael at #22 for explicit clarification.

Would you posit that not covering a story is an affirmative act?

For example, one of my very good friends was a producer for NBC evening TV news for two decades. Her discussions with me confirmed that there are meetings every day as to what agenda stories will be aired. These meetings clearly state what agenda stories will be shown, and, most importantly, what stories will be suppressed.

Do you doubt that these meetings take place every day at every corporate media conglomerate?

A...

"Would you posit that not covering a story is an affirmative act?"

Not sure what you mean or what you're getting at. I never asserted that this story wasn't covered. My point was that Jerry's characterization of the coverage wasn't consistent with the actual nature of the coverage. I'm pretty disappointed to see that no one was able to pick up on that.

"Do you doubt that these meetings take place every day at every corporate media conglomerate?"

Nope. Why?