Roger Ebert - Dead at 70...

Selene

Roger Ebert, the popular film critic and television co-host who along with his fellow reviewer and sometime sparring partner Gene Siskel could lift or sink the fortunes of a movie with their trademark thumbs up or thumbs down, has died. His death was reported by The Chicago Sun-Times. Mr. Ebert’s struggle with cancer, starting in 2002, gave him an altogether different public image — as someone who refused to surrender to illness. Though he had operations for cancer of the thyroid, salivary glands and chin, lost his ability to eat, drink and speak (he was fed through a tube and a prosthesis partly obscured the loss of much of his chin) and became a gaunter version of his once-portly self, he continued to write reviews and commentary and published a cookbook he had started, on meals that could be made with a rice cooker.

Carol, I might accept your description of the late Roger Ebert - if you were using the same words to describe yourself - but not about Ebert.

I will grant that in his battle with cancer, he showed great courage - certainly a lot more than I could show if I had had his disease.

But, if we are discussing his legacy as a film critic I found his reviews uninspiring and clearly written to assuage the political correctness of the Hollywood/ New York City intelligentsia. Being clever in practicing mockery, condescension, and misrepresentation (If he didn't like a movie, he would often set up a strawman and attack it, rather than the actual film) are not, IMHO, characteristics to wihich I can admire.

He, himself, was not exactly the model of a great film writer. See his only film, Beyond The Valley of the Dolls, to see the results of him pacticing his knowledge of how to do a film.

Naturally, as a registered knee-jerk liberal, he found it necessary to attack Atlas Shugged, Part I. In that review, you can see an excellant example of his condescension, misrepresentation, and strawman attacks. Certainly, the film had its faults and there is a lot that can be criticized. But Ebert instead, resorted to mocking, and every other technique to lambast the film. From totally misrepresenting Ayn Rand's philosophy, to tearing apart the novel, and then to claiming that the movie did not accurately describe the book upon which it was based..

Any one of us could find something to criticized in Aglialoro's production. Given the lack of time and the money involved, it was not totally without merit. In fact, Ebert could have addressed those factors in his review, but chose not to. No need to give any credit at all to the producers.

But, maybe I'm being too hard on him for goring Attas Shrugged? O.K., here's an exercise: Write down a list of the 20 best films (outside of the usually selected Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc.) that you have enjoyed. Note what it was that you liked. Then, do the same for he 20 worst films that you have ever seen, Make list of why they sucked. Then look up Ebert's reviews and compare.

Jerry. I thank you for the great compiment, and I will take up your movie challenge as a project. I don't know if Ebert ever reviewed Goons or Goin' Down the Road, though.

I never read his review of Atlas-- I am sure it was knee-jerk, but may have been no worse than some reviews I have read by disappointed or outraged Rand fans.

Meanwhile I saw a photo of his widow and stepdaughters at his funeral and it moved me so much. Such dignity in utter sorrow. What they must have suffered with him as he was dying.

Rather than do a master list of movies I will just do them one by one as I think of them Barry Lyndon (1975) was totally mesmerising to me, though nobody else seemed to like it. It was a unique experience never duplicated since. Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars on release and said Kubrick displayed "the arrogance of genius" in this movie. I agree with him, I never felt so strongly in a movie theatre that I was in the hands of a master, helpless and enthralled.

The Year of Living Dangerously has always been among my favorites, if not my favorite, for the past 25 for years.

Ebert gave it 4 stars: "This is a wonderfully absorbing film."

Not being a fan of Ebert, I am now concerned that my sense of life is all jacked up...(actually, not really).

The Man who Would be King. Kipling and Connery. Ebert gave it four stars. I agree, though I cannot be objective about it. This was my husband's favourite movie until Braveheart* came out, and it has such elegaic poignancy for me. :"The Son of God goes Forth to War..a Kingly Crown to Gain" (aka "The Minstrel Boy ti War is Gone.. his father's sword he has girded on ...) was they hymn sung at his funeral.

*no, love this movie (my sons watch it four times a year at least) but Mel Gibson, as he well acknowledged, just looks nothing like William Wallace did and history freak that I am I cannot get over it., though Angus McFadyen portrayed the torn, destined Robert the Bruce wonderfully. And I don't know what Bruce looked like except leprous in his last years.

Still waiting for somebody to make a movie about Alfred the Great. He really was.

Carry On Teacher. Kenneth Williams! OKI, I know it was not great, in fact it was completely awful in every way. But it made me laugh so hard I thought I would die of joy. It was the first time I had been allowed to go out with my friends to the movies at night, the world was mine, and under-12s got in for 50 cents, and my allowance was $5.

I will add a 21st "great" to make up for this.

I will add the 7 voyages of Sinbad here too, and Cliff Richard ":Summer Holiday." Who knew he was gay?

"Goin' Down the Road" as previewed. Still possibly the greatest Canadian movie ever made. Just tells a story RE gave it 4 stars and I thought his review perceptive and wise, standing test of 40 years of time.

Now I will try to look for a great movie he disagreed with me on, a tough search I fear.

"Slap Shot". Best sports movie and one of the best comedies I have ever seen. I can't find that Ebert ever reviewed it on a quick search so will take this one as a draw.

"Play me or trade me!!" Self-stimulation in the penalty box. Hanrahan. I can't count how many people I know who have the McKenzie brothers as screen savers.

This movie had it all.

But, maybe I'm being too hard on him for goring Attas Shrugged?  O.K., here's an exercise: Write down a list of the 20 best films (outside of the usually selected Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc.)  that you have enjoyed. Note what it was that you liked. Then, do the same for he 20 worst films that you have ever seen, Make list of why they sucked.  Then look up Ebert's reviews and compare.

I respond:  

Atlas Shrugged, the motion picture,  was a piece of crap and an insult to the novel.  

Ba'al Chatzaf