How omniscient are you?

The third-person omniscient perspective can indeed be a grand touch. It is in many fine novels, including We the Living, East of Eden, and Lessing’s Children of Violence novels. I really liked the way it was used in the film The Age of Innocence, and its use at the end of film The Bridge of San Luis Rey, in which they have Geraldine Chaplin’s character approach and speak to the audience to say Wilder’s immortal third-person words at the close of the novel.

Personally I think we get all too much of characters' inner world and thoughts in fiction these days, especially in chicklit.

"What does that half-smile mean, she wondered..did he notice the safety pin in her hem? A vision came to her of her mother with needle and thread...'We'll have to let out this skirt again dear..' she knew she should have worn the blue dress instead. He was talking to a thin blonde in a figure-hugging sheath...had he not really meant it when he said she was adorable? Of course not, she told herself, yet the memories of that sincere full smile kept piercing her heart..." aaargh.

Carol,

You would prefer a smile-meter?

I wonder what memories a 3/4 smile would trigger...

After-sex glow? When he saw her looking as he farted in a crowd? The day she out-guessed the contestants on The Price is Right?

What are you doing reading chick-lit anyway?

:smile:

Michael

Michael,

Thar's gold betweem them thar pink covers.

Jane Austen, the mother of them all, remains the master of presenting the inner lives of characters male and female.(best in my favourite, Persuasion). George Eliot, LM Montgomery.

In our day the late lamented Maeve Binchy seamlessly melded self and sociey from the female viewpoint with an artistry that goes unrecognized beneath the "heartwarming" juggernaut of her commercial success.

Jennifer Weiner, ditto-- there are so many more. If Kat does not have any to recommend, she is not the woman I think she is.

Unfortunately like all successes they have inspired emulators of horrible awful banility - many of whom have made the bestseller lists.