LAST CHANCE - "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 70mm widescreen

Anyone in Maryland, D.C., VA, etc., interested in seeing the restored 70mm widescreen original version of Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey ?

It's showing for ONE day ONLY, on January 2 (2 showings, 2:00 PM, 7:00 PM) at Cinemark Egyptian 24 and XD,

Arundel Mills Mall, Hanover, MD

Phone 443-755-8990

Tickets are still available online at FANDANGO

Anyone who has only seen this movie on TV or DVD has not really experienced this movie (I don't care how big your flatscreen TV is, it's not that big compared to iMax and XD)! It was originally shot in 70 mm and in Cinerama (regrettably, no longer available). This showing is on the XD widescreen.

Forget comic book Star Trek and Star Wars (there's no whoosh when the ships fly by - and no exhaust flames either), this depiction of space travel is what Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick (in the mid 1960s) thought about where we would be (and should have been!) by 2001.

Forget comic book Star Trek and Star Wars (there's no whoosh when the ships fly by - and no exhaust flames either), this depiction of space travel is what Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick (in the mid 1960s) thought about where we would be (and should have been!) by 2001.

When I see ISS Alpha Shit Can One in -low- orbit as our only manned station in the year 2012 I have to fight off the urge to weep.

We coulda been a contender --- It was you NASA.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Yes. Where we are (or more accurately, are not) in space exploration looks rather (no, starkly) embarrassing when compared to what Kubrick and Clarke thought, (quite reasonably, based on our accelerated space program at that time) we would be by 2001.

I believe it was President Gerald Ford who cancelled further lunar exploration flights and setled for the space shuttle. And we don't even have that, now. We have to pay the Russians to hitch a ride to the space station. Contrast that design, by the way, with Kubrick-Clarke's depiction of what they thought would be orbiting earth by 2001.

Well, we had to save Viet Nam from the commies (how'd that go, by the way?) and now "saving" Afghanistan.

• 2 years later...

Arthur C. Clarke projecting in 1964:

We could be in instant contact with each other, wherever we may be, where we can contact our friends anywhere on earth, even if we don’t know their actual physical location. It will be possible in that age, perhaps only 50 years from now, for a man to conduct his business from Tahiti or Bali just as well as he could from London…. Almost any executive skill, any administrative skill, even any physical skill, could be made independent of distance. I am perfectly serious when I suggest that one day we may have brain surgeons in Edinburgh operating on patients in New Zealand.

http://www.openculture.com/2011/09/arthur_c_clarke_looks_into_the_future_1964.html