John Galt Calling - Had Enough?

George H. Smith

Instead of going the full Galt, why not just encourage everyone in California and Illinois who is sick of the present regime and can afford the transportation out to move to Utah, Texas, or Georgia?

Robert Campbell

Robert:

Almost 300,000 folks are invading Texas per year and going on public assistance which eventually will make that state a fatality to the welfare state.

A...

Robert Campbell wrote:

Instead of going the full Galt, why not just encourage everyone in California and Illinois who is sick of the present regime and can afford the transportation out to move to Utah, Texas, or Georgia?

end quote

My sister is a nurse in California and she sees illegals, who use our resources as the reason her state might default. She says doctors are already choosing not to use Medicare or Medicaid, and they are used to Government interference so Obamacare may not cause a large number of doctors to drop out. Now they might move to Texas but will that be a safe haven for Mister Galt?

I agree with your analysis. No one is going to “go galt” except the hermits who have already dropped out. People will be moving to freer states and a lot of money will be going into gold and silver and not into municiple bonds, bank accounts, or stocks. In the short term invest in oil, gas, and fast food. The risk to all financial instuments will be enormous under inflation, a failing American dream, and a Fascist Obama dictatorship. So, the consequence of “commodities hoarding” could be a lot fewer American dollars going towards investments, and we might also see rising foreign investment if the dollar’s value plummets.

Peter

http://www.gopusa.co...68?subscriber=1

A salesman approaching his 65th birthday, who planned to wait until age 66 to file for Social Security, is contemplating filing early. "My intention was to wait another year so that I wouldn't be penalized for working and earning more than the allowed amount of $14,400 per year," he says. "But with rising gas prices, regulations and taxes under Obama, I might as well do the minimum and live off the government dole like half the country already is."

But isn't - regardless of how much one loathes state regulations and taxes - filing for Social Security and living off the government dole totally 'un-Galtish'?

But isn't - regardless of how much one loathes state regulations and taxes - filing for Social Security and living off the government dole totally 'un-Galtish'?

I can't speak for Galt, but to me, it isn't as long as what you have received doesn't exceed what you paid in SS taxes (if you wish, adjust for interest and include employer-paid taxes on your wages).

Adam,

They aren't moving from California to Texas and going on public assistance—or are they?

Robert Campbell

No, this is the continued invasion, which has increased under the last O'bama move which allows the children born here to "come out of the shadows." Apparently, and I have to track this down, they are going to Texas because of the jobs and then they are using the chain immigration to bring in relatives.

A....

I am considering "going semi-Galt," with a twist: I have about 20 employees in my firm, each of whom enjoys state of the art/top of the line health insurance, paid for by yours truly, to the tune of about 180k per year.

I am giving serious thought to yanking this employee benefit and sending my employees to the market to fend for themselves. The dilemma for me in doing this is one that faces most employers--one does develop something of a benign sense of obligation to those on our payrolls, and, it's not really my employees' fault that 50%-plus of their fellow citizens have brains the size of peas.

In the end I doubt I'll do it, but it is very tempting.

I am considering "going semi-Galt," with a twist: I have about 20 employees in my firm, each of whom enjoys state of the art/top of the line health insurance, paid for by yours truly, to the tune of about 180k per year.

I am giving serious thought to yanking this employee benefit and sending my employees to the market to fend for themselves. The dilemma for me in doing this is one that faces most employers--one does develop something of a benign sense of obligation to those on our payrolls, and, it's not really my employees' fault that 50%-plus of their fellow citizens have brains the size of peas.

You do not want to flog the people who helped to make you prosperous. If they are your workers, you clearly need their services. Don't mistreat them. That is the obvious truth that Ken Doll Mitt overlooked.

Ba'al; Chatzaf

You do not want to flog the people who helped to make you prosperous. If they are your workers, you clearly need their services. Don't mistreat them. That is the obvious truth that Ken Doll Mitt overlooked.

Ba'al; Chatzaf

Wise words, Bob. I am mostly just venting.

What if a group of people offered the government a deal? Some kind of organization to hire people who are unemployed and looking for work--with special stipulations that meet both the organization's and the public opinion needs of the government?

For example: the government provides the list of eligible employees, but does not get involved any further--and in turn the wages are quite low, but are not taxed as income.

Just brainstorming.

What if a group of people offered the government a deal?

Why not?

Here's a start. I would want my own group to be able to deploy attack drones, a heavily armed police force, and so forth.

That's just to level the playing field so we could make a deal between equals.

Since that ain't gonna happen, I believe making a "deal with the government" is a fool's venture.

Now if you want to play a game of pull and lobbying, that is corrupt, but it makes more sense.

Michael