Capitalist Pig on Why Hedge Funds and Ayn Rand are Great for the Economy

I'm no fan of hedge funds.

To the extent they are for monetary privacy, are tax dodges, do corporate restructuring as venture capitalists, invest in companies that produce actual goods and services, etc., I'm all for them.

To the extent they invest in things like currency and government bonds (any old government will do) and lobby like hell all over the world, buying politicians in back rooms by the boatload, they are organizations of pull, not production.

If one day I were ever to sell my soul to the contextless greed of gaining gobs of money from pull (and calling that capitalism), I would definitely go into hedge fund work. The peace of mind sucks, but the money is great.

I don't know enough about Capitalist Pig Hedge Fund (or Hoenig, for that matter) to say if it is the same, but if I were a betting man, I would bet it plays by the same rules they all do. There seems to be a tipping point in the human soul for practically everyone when gobs and gobs and gobs of money are on the table. Not everyone sells out, but I have yet to see a major player of the hedge fund game I can say with confidence who hasn't.

It's one thing to talk good game. it's another to play it.

Michael

Brant,

Liquidity?

Heh.

I didn't know pull had a physical form, much less was liquid, but I suppose it can be...

Glug glug glug...

:smile:

Michael

He means that the hedge funds can pull cash out of god knows where.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I like Jonathan Hoenig. He is a wonderful champion for Ayn Rand and capitalism over here in Obama country. I've met him and he has spoken at tea party events and he's a very nice guy. I'm glad he's getting the message out to a wider audience through his media appearances. He also did a plug for Atlas Shrugged Part II and had a cameo in the wedding scene.

Kat

Why cool it? We're not really disagreeing as I see it. Hedge funds, private equity firms, etc. are just groups of investors and just a means to mobilize large sums of money. Sure there are evil people like George Soros in the business, but he is the exception and not the rule. Like Francisco says, money is just a tool.

Mike just knows Jonathan is an ARI guy but he doesn't like going to the ARI or tea party events as he wants to stay away from both ARI and Chicago politics. Since I work in downtown Chicago, it is far more convenient for me to attend meetings and lectures which I enjoy. I try to catch most of the meetings because I'm still kicking myself for missing the monthly meeting where Gary Johnson just happened to show up.

Kat