Teacher yells at student because of a question he asked about Obama

George H. Smith

Our wonderful educational system at work!

North Rowan High School Teacher defends Obama in front of students. The video is going viral. Glenn Beck played it on his radio show this morning.

[media=]

Ghs

How authentic is this vid? I hear voices and see ceiling lights. I have no idea who is speaking. What should I make of it?

Ba'al Chatzaf

How authentic is this vid? I hear voices and see ceiling lights. I have no idea who is speaking. What should I make of it?

Ba'al Chatzaf

The video was recorded in a high school classroom. No one denies the authenticity. In fact, I have heard that the student may be in trouble for posting it on YouTube. The student obviously didn't want the teacher to know she was being recorded. At one point you see his hand go over the camera after the teacher approaches him.

Ghs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Rowan_High_School

ump to: navigation, search North Rowan High School Address 300 North Whitehead Avenue

Spencer

North Carolina, United States Coordinates 17px-WMA_button2b.png35.6970835°N 80.4300575°WCoordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png35.6970835°N 80.4300575°W Information School type Public Founded 1958 Principal Darrel McDowell Vice principal Trent Watkins Teaching staff ~125 Number of students ~800 Schedule type Block, 4-period Hours in school day 7:30am - 2:25pm Color(s) Green and Gold

Athletics conference Yadkin Valley Conference Information +1 704 636-4420 Website School Website

North Rowan High School, formerly Spencer High School and East Spencer High School, is located in the northern end of Rowan County in Spencer, North Carolina. It is part of the Rowan–Salisbury School System.

test_scores_avatar.gif

LEARN ABOUT THIS SCHOOL'S:

EOG Results

Scale: % at or above proficient

Grade 10 Reading

p.gifData not available for this school (2011)

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2011.

Writing

apipixorange.gif 46% (2011) 46%!!!!

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2011.

Math

p.gifData not available for this school (2011)

The state average for Math was 61% in 2011.

horizontal_0to100.gif

North Rowan High School Teacher defends Obama in front of students. The video is going viral. Glenn Beck played it on his radio show this morning.

[media=]

Looks like a pretty chaotic classroom situation to me, with neither students nor teacher respecting the rules of civilized discourse.

But when I think back to the long-bygone days of my teens, we were quite undisciplined as well, often provoking teachers who then saw no way out but to yell at us ...

The teacher (for whatever reason), sounded totally unnerved, that's for sure. Imo teaching teenagers is amoung the toughest tasks in teaching.

Amid the chaos, I could make out the words "You will not disrespect the President of the United States!" (accompanied by what sounded like a ruler being banged against the desk by the teacher).

Just curious about the legal situation in the US: are students allowed to make disrespectul comments in the classroom about the President?

I wonder also. I would conjecture freedom of expression would be paramount. Was it a Civics class?

I am in total accord as to awful difficulty of adolescent instruction! I would never dare to try.

[media=]

Looks like a pretty chaotic classroom situation to me, with neither students nor teacher respecting the rules of civilized discourse.

But when I think back to the long-bygone days of my teens, we were quite undisciplined as well, often provoking teachers who then saw no way out but to yell at us ...

The teacher (for whatever reason), sounded totally unnerved, that's for sure. Imo teaching teenagers is amoung the toughest tasks in teaching.

Amid the chaos, I could make out the words "You will not disrespect the President of the United States!" (accompanied by what sounded like a ruler being banged against the desk by the teacher).

Just curious about the legal situation in the US: are students allowed to make disrespectul comments in the classroom about the President?

Angela:

Yes, First Amendment will eventually protect a disrespectful "comment." However, a threat will be a violation of law.

Adam

He's got one purty lip!