Fact: Radiation is good. It provides vitamin D.

jts

This video is for amusement only.

"Maj. Gen. Albert N. Stubblebine (US Army ret) Personal Fukushima Estimate of Situation"

video 26:28

Fact: Radiation is good. It provides vitamin D.

This video uses a fear mongering tactic to sell products. He doesn't provide any facts. Even if he had facts, they would not be valid because they are not peer reviewed. Even if they were peer reviewed, they would still not be valid because he didn't write any scientific papers in that field.

Anyone who thinks something is wrong with what is happening in Fukushima is a conspiracy theorist and an environmentalist and hates the good for being good and distrusts government.

jts, if you want to get your scientific information from a retired general, or your dietary information from a retired neurosurgeon, and you know people are going to be skeptical of your sources. putting them all in the Humour Section in sarcastic acknowledgement of this, is not really funny. Some of us will still think your health bulletins belong in the garbage pile.

• Like 1

We live in a sea of background radiation and it's good for us--necessary in fact. Generally speaking radiation is good for you up to a point, then not. This is radiation hormesis. It is thus beneficial to live at high elevations. Concern about radon and radon daughters is over-stated. People who don't understand this think dental x-rays are dangerous. When I had orthodontia over 50 years ago I got whole head x-rays numerous times at much higher doses than I would get today. I'm still going strong and not worrying about brain cancer or such. I'm more worried about lung cancer, so I drink green tea.

--Brant

this is not humor section material and should be moved

We live in a sea of background radiation and it's good for us--necessary in fact. Generally speaking radiation is good for you up to a point, then not. This is radiation hormesis. It is thus beneficial to live at high elevations. Concern about radon and radon daughters is over-stated. People who don't understand this think dental x-rays are dangerous. When I had orthodontia over 50 years ago I got whole head x-rays numerous times at much higher doses than I would get today. I'm still going strong and not worrying about brain cancer or such. I'm more worried about lung cancer, so I drink green tea.

--Brant

--Brant

Good point Brant. We live in the universe with its many emanations, natural and manmade, and we have generally adapted to them.

I write as one who was raised to believe fervently in Vitamin D, or as I knew it, cod liver oil. I was forced to ingest it until the age of 17 when I rebelled. a was right, though. As I write I have a bottle of Vitamin D at my elbow. At least I think it's the Vitamin D, I can't read the label too clearly.

Fallacy of the excluded middle. Fallacy of composition. Fallacy of equivocation. False dilemma. False dichotomy. False analogy.

And not as funny as some of the wacko Hormesis-peddlers. Think of hormesis like you think of coffee or nicotine. In less-than-deadly doses, much less than deadly, the agents stimulate. In sickening or deadly doses, they sicken or kill. Like water, like salt, perhaps particular hormetic radiations could be seen as augmenting if not necessary to health, in particular differential doses. Too much water in relation to salt, sickness and death. Too much salt in relation to water, sickness and death.

It bears remembering the days following Madame Curie. Her pioneering work with Radium led to all manner of wackaloon nostrums postulated on a garbled generalized hormesis benefit, Radium baths, radium enemas, radium mouthwash and face cream, radium eye patches and toques, radium seltzer and radium tablets. Pricey. 'Promotes and stimulates health.' Some burned out folks' mouths, throats, guts and intestines, others led to the pain of radium poisoning ... and death.

So, a little, a little bit of intermittent low level nuclear radiation can stimulate the repair and resist machinery in our cell bodies, perhaps kick the machine into alert. A few too many hard kicks, a blistering sunburn, a bit too much radiation, and ... mutations sprout, cancers launch, and health degrades.

In terms of cranks, crackpots, deranged monomaniacs and one-topic tub-thumpers, if you look closely and examine all their wee knobs and switches, you will usually find that the Sense of Proportion control spins as freely as a top. Wheeee! If the volume and tuning knobs are also fried, the crank's output can be quite as shocking and refreshing as a Sarsparilla & Radium Energy Drink!

From the Wikipedia article on Radithor ('Cure for the living dead') and its inventor (and his death):

The
Wall Street Journal
wrote an article called "The Radium Water Worked Fine Until His Jaw Came Off". Byers' death led to the strengthening of the
Food and Drug Administration
's powers and the demise of most radiation quack cures.

Edited by william.scherk