Some Rejected Titles before Ayn Rand came up with "The Fountainheaad"

caroljane

The Showerhead*

The Privately-Owned Hydroelectric Station

Dominatin' Dominique

Juries Gone Wild: No Fool for a Client - the state vs. Roark

Drill, Howie Baby, Drill!

*In the original draft of the novel, Roark was named Rotor and was a master plumber.

(If you thought the railway tunnel in Atlas was horrific, you should see what Rotor did to that building instead of blowing it up)

If his name was Rotor, then that would make Dominique a .....

ready....

a rotor rooter!

Even I moaned at that one.

Adam

The secret first draft is in the ARI archives. Of course Peikoff has not read it, but his wife (whichever one sorted out the Estate for him)and Berliner did, and they have been waiting for a good time to tell him about it for 34 years.

In Wallflower at the Orgy, Nora Ephron reportedly suggests that Rand intended the title to be a subliminal sexual metaphor. I'm sure there were plenty of people who saw this ad in the local paper and were decidedly disappointed to discover that the movie was about an upstart architect.

fountainhead+movie+poster.jpg

In Wallflower at the Orgy, Nora Ephron reportedly suggests that Rand intended the title to be a subliminal sexual metaphor. I'm sure there were plenty of people who saw this ad in the local paper and were decidedly disappointed to discover that the movie was about an upstart architect.

fountainhead+movie+poster.jpg

Yeah, I heard Rand liked the sound of "The Spigot" better because of the engineering angle, but was dissuaded.

And it would have made that poster look funny.

Here is some goofy stuff Kat and I came up with back in 2006 on the old SoloHQ. It was one of those Chuck Norris joke threads.

Books by Ayn Rand O'Norris:

Fiction:

Chuck Norris, the Living

Chuck Norris's Anthem

The Norris Head

Chuck Shrugged

Nonfiction:

For the Chuck Norris Intellectual

The Virtue of Chuck Norrisness

Chuck Norris: The Unknown Ideal

The Chuck Norris Manifesto

The New Left Hook: The Anti-Chuck Norris Revolution

Introduction to Chuck Norris Epistemology

Then Ayn Rand O'Norris died and her intellectual heir put together new compilations of her writings, starting with:

Chuck Norris, Who Needs Him?

Robert Bidinotto chimed in with "Atlas Chucked."

:smile:

Michael

Phil wasn't funny then either.

Here is some goofy stuff Kat and I came up with back in 2006 on the old SoloHQ. It was one of those Chuck Norris joke threads.

Books by Ayn Rand O'Norris:

Fiction:

Chuck Norris, the Living

Chuck Norris's Anthem

The Norris Head

Chuck Shrugged

Nonfiction:

For the Chuck Norris Intellectual

The Virtue of Chuck Norrisness

Chuck Norris: The Unknown Ideal

The Chuck Norris Manifesto

The New Left Hook: The Anti-Chuck Norris Revolution

Introduction to Chuck Norris Epistemology

Then Ayn Rand O'Norris died and her intellectual heir put together new compilations of her writings, starting with:

Chuck Norris, Who Needs Him?

Robert Bidinotto chimed in with "Atlas Chucked."

:smile:

Michael

Love the punchline!

"The Strike" was considered too short a title for such a long book as AS, so Rand started brainstorming: "Sisyphus Stayed at the Bottom of the Hill and said he wouldn't Roll No Stinkin' Rock"...no, Atlas..."Atlas got a Bad Itch Between His Shoulder Blades and..."

(Muscle Spasm maybe?)...hmmm..."

Yeah, I heard Rand liked the sound of "The Spigot" better because of the engineering angle, but was dissuaded.

And it would have made that poster look funny.

Oliver Stone thought about using this for his remake. . .

jw_2nd_base.jpg "Tell Them Johnny Wad is Here"

(Hard to understand why the project got shelved.)

In the Illuminatus books Robert Anton Wilson came up with Telemachus Sneezed, and then there's Murray Rothbard, who came up with The Brow of Zeus.