Recent Movies on DVD

With the exception of Atlas Shrugged, I hadn't rented any movies for many months. I therefore decided to take this evening off and watch a couple. I enjoyed the first, Unknown, but then I generally like any movie with Liam Neeson, and I am usually able to overlook plot holes that one could drive a truck through, provided I am in the right mood.

The second movie I watched, Source Code (starring Jake Gyllenhaal), was a very pleasant surprise. I loved it, even though I frequently don't care for 'nonlinear" plots. I highly recommend this film to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Anyway, there are still many DVDs of recent films (say, those released within the past year) that I haven't seen, so I figured I would solicit recommendations. Any suggestions? If so, please limit the lists to one or two favorites. Lists longer than that won't mean much to me.

Ghs

With the exception of Atlas Shrugged, I hadn't rented any movies for many months. I therefore decided to take this evening off and watch a couple. I enjoyed the first, Unknown, but then I generally like any movie with Liam Neeson, and I am usually able to overlook plot holes that one could drive a truck through, provided I am in the right mood.

The second movie I watched, Source Code (starring Jake Gyllenhaal), was a very pleasant surprise. I loved it, even though I frequently don't care for 'nonlinear" plots. I highly recommend this film to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Anyway, there are still many DVDs of recent films (say, those released within the past year) that I haven't seen, so I figured I would solicit recommendations. Any suggestions? If so, please limit the lists to one or two favorites. Lists longer than that won't mean much to me.

Ghs

Blades of Glory, man. I know it isn't recent but it's da bomb.

Ghs

That movie came out in 2007. I am not that far behind. Plus, once you have seen one Will Farrell movie, you have pretty much seen them all.

Ghs

Ghs

That movie came out in 2007. I am not that far behind. Plus, once you have seen one Will Farrell movie, you have pretty much seen them all.

Ghs

Well, it is your loss. I am no Adam Sandler fan myself. Blades is far, far more than a Will Ferrell movie, but I suppose you couldn't be expected to watch Will and Adam perform the triple axel together in full Marie Antoinette gear, even for me.

Ghs

Ghs

Well, it is your loss. I am no Adam Sandler fan myself. Blades is far, far more than a Will Ferrell movie, but I suppose you couldn't be expected to watch Will and Adam perform the triple axel together in full Marie Antoinette gear, even for me.

You will have noticed that I am no cinephile. I enjoyed Ishtar, for crying out loud.

Oh no, it wasn't Sandler at all, it was Jon somebody and he is miles better than Sandler!

Carol

like I said, obviously no cinephile

poor memory for faces

good at names and numbers though

Yeah, Ferrell's co-star was Jon Heder, best known for his starring role in Napoleon Dynamite.

I will never forgive Adam Sandler for the way he mucked-up the remake of The Longest Yard.

Ghs

My wife and I usually aren't into gore, but we both laughed our asses off over the North Korean attempt at the Iron Lotus:

God that's funny. One so empathises with the male partner '-"WTF?? How can I work in the next element now? Will they come and get the head or maybe I should skate around it? Where am I in the music? "

If you’ve ever suspected there were forces at work “behind the scenes” of our everyday lives, you might enjoy The Adjustment Bureau. Matt Damon accidentally gets a glimpse behind a “curtain” that no one else knows exists, and then spends the rest of the movie fighting those who are supposed to be controlling everything that happens. Based on a story by Philip K. Dick. Pure fantasy, but I thought it was quite well done.

I also enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens, with Daniel Craig.

I also enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens, with Daniel Craig.

That was a sci fi romp. I loved it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Last night I watched the Canadian film One Week (2008), and I highly recommend it. Screenwriting will typically make or break a movie for me, and this has some truly excellent writing. The plot, such as it is, is simple: After a teacher learns that he has terminal cancer, he purchases an old Norton motorcycle and heads to the (Canadian) west for an "adventure." This quirky film is also an homage to Canada, which should appeal to our resident Canucks.

This trailer doesn't do the film justice, but it will give you an idea of its flavor, as well as its wonderful soundtrack.

Ghs