One of many reasons I loathe religion

sbeaulieu

So I'm browsing articles this morning and come across this...

Afghan woman killed, apparently for bearing girl

It reminded me immediately of all the Maury Povich episodes where the dads were upset with their wives/girlfriends having a girl when they wanted a boy. Most of the educated people know that the male determines the sex of the child when the egg is fertilized. But this article is the worst case of ignorance I've read, and a woman who had no determination in the outcome died because of it...

~ Shane

You're right. Thinking out loud, I'm certain there are religious undertones to his train of thought. I might be biased on this one, but short of basic education, what would prompt him to conclude his wife was responsible?

~ Shane

You're right. Thinking out loud, I'm certain there are religious undertones to his train of thought. I might be biased on this one, but short of basic education, what would prompt him to conclude his wife was responsible?

~ Shane

Ignorance in a male top down gestalt

This sort of thing is known to happen in China too. There’s nothing to indicate that religion was the motivation.

~ Shane

It is patriarchalism which is at the root. In many third world countries, patriarchalism is still very strong.

As for religions, it is no surprise if they are often patriarchally structured as well, for they were mostly founded in extremely patriarchal ages.

I don't loath all religions. I have one, myself. I am a Jew. BUT! But, I insist on practicing my religion quietly and privately. I do not impose it on the public domain. I do not go about trying to make converts. My religion has primarily a social function and an ethical function and it binds me to a group of like minded folks. We share our common upbringing, tell each other funny stories, attend each other's funerals and grieving session, congratulate each other's weddings and child births etc. etc. We do not make problems for people who do not belong to our group.

I can tolerate any religion that does not have any violent elements in its practice and which is practiced quietly or privately.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

I hope I didn't come across as a religion hater. I am not. There are a many good things, when practiced so, that are beneficial in the way you pointed out. My title does say "One of many reason I loathe religion." That doesn't mean there aren't things I like. I hope that came across. It's extreme acts like the one in article, that in today's age, still baffle me. It's old ideas recylcled into the new days that merit valid consideration of being changed to avoid cases like this one.

Xray,

Thanks for your clarification on the patriarchal angle. From my understanding, China's views are towards population control. But I guess no matter what branch this sort of thing falls from, knowing what tree it belongs to helps :)

~ Shane

Bob,

I hope I didn't come across as a religion hater. I am not. There are a many good things, when practiced so, that are beneficial in the way you pointed out. My title does say "One of many reason I loathe religion." That doesn't mean there aren't things I like. I hope that came across. It's extreme acts like the one in article, that in today's age, still baffle me. It's old ideas recylcled into the new days that merit valid consideration of being changed to avoid cases like this one.

Xray,

Thanks for your clarification on the patriarchal angle. From my understanding, China's views are towards population control. But I guess no matter what branch this sort of thing falls from, knowing what tree it belongs to helps :smile:

~ Shane

Religion is definitely not the culprit in femicide. It is tribal patriarchy, practiced by the ignorant and the entitled aongst Sikhs, Palestinian Christians, Hindus, Muslims and assorted nonreligious Westerners who believe family women are their possessions, whose behaviour is merely a reflection of their own reputation.