Will South Carolina Be The First To Secede From The Republican Establishment Tomorrow?

Selene

Adam wrote:

Actually, as Mr. Newt opined the other day, O'bama shut down Main Street while visiting Fantasyland and stood there with Micky on his right and Goofy on his left which was kinda like a picture of his cabinet meetings...

End quote

If Newt winds South Carolinky we will hear some fine zingers during the debates. There will be veritable gusts of sound bites. He will blast Obama into his place at the back of the bus with his speeches. The noise from the chattering classes will be quite loud. What a joyous sound we will hear if Newt wins the nomination. And don’t the debates matter more than substance? After all, isn’t sound over substance a truism?

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will blast Obama into his place at the back of the bus with his speeches.

Peter:

Could you keep your racist statements to yourself. Three of my fellow students were killed down South for all individuals to sit wherever the hell they wanted to on a public bus,

Thank you, in advance, for your anticipated cooperation.

Adam

I just checked Fox News. Newt is the projected winner, with 41 percent to Romney's 26 percent. Paul trails in last place with 13 percent.

Ghs

Thanks George:

Damn my picks were really good!

Posted Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Here are my picks:

Gingrich 38%

Romney 27%

Santorum 19%

Paul 16%

Turnout will probably be under the 2008 445,677 around 440,000

Wow, I was way off on the turnout...it is going to be over 520,000!

I just finished watching Newt's victory speech. I noticed he says Warshington, not Washington. This brings back memories, since I grew up using the same pronunciation. (My father was from Iowa.) Not until I moved from Washington State to Arizona and got laughed at by my seventh-grade classmates for saying Warshington did I adopt the correct pronunciation.

Ghs

I missed that George, I intend to replay the speech later, I will have to keep my ear alerted for it.

I just watched it also. He has an important quality as a speaker. He is able to simplify three or four points and juxtapose them with his opponents.

For example, Pay check vs. food stamp and Saul Alinsky vs. founding fathers.

He also strongly endorsed Dr. Paul's position on the Fed, fiat money and free enterprise.

Now, if he can keep out the negatives about his co-candidates and stay with affirmative positions, we could have a very, very interesting battle with

O'biwan.

I just finished watching Newt's victory speech. I noticed he says Warshington, not Washington. This brings back memories, since I grew up using the same pronunciation. (My father was from Iowa.) Not until I moved from Washington State to Arizona and got laughed at by my seventh-grade classmates for saying Warshington did I adopt the correct pronunciation.

Ghs

This is weird. Some of my contemporaries have always said Warshington and Warshroom, we know not why. must be a conspiracy

FYI:

Here are the videos of all four (4) of the Republican candidates speeches from South Carolina last night.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/22/us/politics/20120121-sc-speeches.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Adam

Delegate Count after yesterday's South Carolina's distribution of twenty-five (25) delegates. They originally had fifty (50), but were penalized one half of the total by jumping the primary dateline.

Eleven (11) are awarded for the out right winner two (2) for each of the seven (7) congressional districts [south Carolina added one (1) district due to the 2000 census] for an additional total of fourteen (14);

Romney 33

Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich 25 21

Santorum 14

Dr. Paul 2 4

[these are Dr. Paul's first delegates which leads me to believe he won one (1) entire Congressional district]

The opacity of the election process in South Carolina makes the validity of the final result like an old hair dye commercial: Only South Carolina’s voting machine technicians know for sure. A pox on the mainstream media for not highlighting this.

Ron Paul’s responses at the preceding day’s debate were some of his best except for his answer to a question on immigration where he stumbled badly. He only weakly denounced illegal immigration and seemed to advocate an increase in legal immigration. It was the performance of a mealy-mouthed politician. Apparently even Ron Paul quails when it comes to this issue.

He will blast Obama into his place at the back of the bus with his speeches.

Peter:

Could you keep your racist statements to yourself. Three of my fellow students were killed down South for all individuals to sit wherever the hell they wanted to on a public bus,

Thank you, in advance, for your anticipated cooperation.

Adam

Blatantly racist on the face of it. Maybe Peter made a mistake.

--Brant

"All of South Carolina's 46 counties use a paperless voting system and touch screen methods to vote. That system will come under intense scrutiny as five mainstream candidates vie for the state's GOP primary victory. ABC News reports on one possible snafu. Stephen Colbert claimed to his supporters that he could be a write-in candidate. That is not the case. There are nine candidates listed on South Carolina's official ballot for the Republican presidential preference primary. But there is no slot for a write in, or in this case a possible "type in" candidate.

Here's a look at South Carolina's voting machines as the state gears up for its presidential preference primary on Jan. 21.

June 2010 Controversy

As recently as June of 2010, the previous electronic voting system used by South Carolina came under scrutiny. The Atlantic Monthly reported that the Palmetto State utilized ES&S iVotronic systems starting in 2008. The article reported Ohio and Colorado banned the machines. A case in Kentucky indicted nine election officials on voter fraud as people tricked voters into thinking their votes had been cast when they really weren't. Those officials then cast votes according to who they want, not the voters.

The case of Alvin Greene and state's Democratic Senate primary of 2010 was controversial for various reasons. Greene defeated rival Vic Rawl with just under 60 percent of the vote. Rawl claimed that was impossible since absentee ballots, which were cast by hand, showed overwhelming support for Rawl.

The Charleston Post and Courier reported in October 2010 that Manning was a relative unknown, had little campaign money and somehow won despite being a felon. The state's election commission rejected the notion of circumstantial evidence because there were no methods to back up Rawl's claim. His lawyer stated that was the problem.

Further Scrutiny

For the November 2010 mid-term elections, paperless voting machines came under further scrutiny. South Carolina purchased 12,000 iVotronic machines with federal money. A few machines malfunctioned in 2008.

One issue with the voting machines revolved around proprietary issues. ES&S owns the software to the machines. The company doesn't have to divulge how their systems work. Otherwise, the trade secret will be out and the company would lose money and its secure voting systems.

Computer World reported in late October 2010 that six states, South Carolina included, used completely paperless systems. Verified Voting told the publication that paperless systems make it difficult to reliably recount votes if there is a software glitch.

In April of 2011, some of South Carolina's elected officials felt there were enough issues with the iVotronic systems for the legislature to get a new system. Myrtle Beach Online reported the price tag for an entirely new system was $30 million.

How to Vote in South Carolina

A demo of the technology is on the South Carolina State Election Commission's website. Each voting machine is independent and can't be hacked into wirelessly. A voting official activates the device, voters use the touch screen to make choices and follow instructions on the screen. After you are done voting, that's it. There are no paper receipts. Each machine has three redundant memory systems to ensure accuracy.

The Verified Voting Foundation states direct recording electronic voting has improved the system and can prevent vote miscounts or fraud. However, more backup systems need to be in place to prevent problems and increase voter trust in the system."

William Browning is a research librarian specializing in U.S. politics. Born in St. Louis, Browning is active in local politics and served as a campaign volunteer for President Barack Obama and Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill.

Mark:

It was brought out in my opening post...

Brant wrote:

end quote

No. I said exactly what I meant, harking back to 1950’s rhetoric. I was echoing Juan Williams’ charge of racism to Newt Grinchgrinch at the Fox debate for suggesting poor welfare kids (Juan took that to mean poor black kids and he did not like the racist way Newt said his name WWWooooonnnn) could work as janitors at their schools. Newt thinks that would build character. They would make money and that is what America is all about. Now if they are belittled by their contemporaries that would also be a character builder. I am sure Newt will next suggest a shoe shine stand outside the Principal’s office for poor, welfare (black) kids and doing yard work for the massa, oops, I mean the teachers at a whole two bucks an hour and a passing grade of C. They would win their freedom upon graduation.

I have a sense of humor Brant and do not believe in internal censoring /stifling. Wait until SNL sees the potential for satire.

Peter

I have a sense of humor

You have some serious delusions.

Hey Ninth, as a Floridian will you be voting in the primary? This race is the best reality show going . I have a vision of you and Phil,tight-lipped and professional in tweed and gingham, out hustling the votes together.

Maybe Adam can fly down to join you, rounding up the Kink vote for his Gingribread Man.

I have a sense of humor

You have some serious delusions.

Hey Ninth, as a Floridian will you be voting in the primary? This race is the best reality show going . I have a vision of you and Phil,tight-lipped and professional in tweed and gingham, out hustling the votes together.

Maybe Adam can fly down to join you, rounding up the Kink vote for his Gingribread Man.

Carol:

That is the doughboy...that is Leroy, which is his middle name...lol.

ND already said in a prior post that he registered Republican a few weeks ago so that he could vote for Ron Paul.

Mr. Coates has not made any declaration as to whether he would vote, or, whom he would vote for.

Adam

Always have problems with where the darn commas should go!

Brant wrote:

end quote

No. I said exactly what I meant, harking back to 1950’s rhetoric. I was echoing Juan Williams’ charge of racism to Newt Grinchgrinch at the Fox debate for suggesting poor welfare kids (Juan took that to mean poor black kids and he did not like the racist way Newt said his name WWWooooonnnn) could work as janitors at their schools. Newt thinks that would build character. They would make money and that is what America is all about. Now if they are belittled by their contemporaries that would also be a character builder. I am sure Newt will next suggest a shoe shine stand outside the Principal’s office for poor, welfare (black) kids and doing yard work for the massa, oops, I mean the teachers at a whole two bucks an hour and a passing grade of C. They would win their freedom upon graduation.

I have a sense of humor Brant and do not believe in internal censoring /stifling. Wait until SNL sees the potential for satire.

Peter

There's not much refuge in ambiguity or your lack of lucidity.

--Brant

Seven of Ninth wrote:

I see that others have already objected, but this is one of those things where a chorus is called for: WTF?!?!?!

end quote

Penn says Shut the F Up so you should have STFU!! And you should have your mouth washed out with soap, you naughty boy. For the record, I do have a good sense of humor and I agree with Ayn Rand and Rand Paul that a property owner, restaurant owner, or any business owner has a right to serve or not serve, hire or not hire anyone they please for whatever reason pleases them, or direct customers or not direct customers to a designated area. I might not think that is polite or economical in the long run if I am boycotted but that is what a person can do in a free society.

I grew up in the south. I remember my mom who was from San Francisco, liberal and almost color blind, making me get up from a bus seat in the front of a Norfolk Virginia bus around 1950 or ’51 for a pregnant black woman (or was she carrying a load of groceries?) I resented that at the time (I may have been three or four) but I would do it unthinkingly today. It would just be the right and fair thing to do, no matter the person’s race, no matter the place or time.

But in a truly free society a person is free to be a bigot or an asshole. The most racist channel on TV is BET: Black Entertainment Network. No whites allowed except by special exemption. Same for the Apollo Theatre in NY. It was a big deal when they allowed Tony Tennille from The Captain and Tennille to play there. I think a black or Hispanic could venture into any gin joint in America (well maybe not a biker bar) and be served. Just try and get into a black gin joint other than in Harlem where they are ready for the theatre goers and slummers, always eager for the Yankee dollar.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Independent Objectivist,

Peter Taylor

Carol:

That is the doughboy...that is Leroy, which is his middle name...lol.

ND already said in a prior post that he registered Republican a few weeks ago so that he could vote for Ron Paul.

Mr. Coates has not made any declaration as to whether he would vote, or, whom he would vote for.

Adam

Always have problems with where the darn commas should go!

Leroy, it just gets better.

Maybe bad, bad Leroy G. could beat Obama. But I can't see him being a good president. That ego...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is.

Leroy, it just gets better.

Maybe bad, bad Leroy G. could beat Obama. But I can't see him being a good president. That ego...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is.

Carol:

He is that smart. Ego and President are synonymous. I don't think that you seek that office unless you have an immense ego.

One of the problems with that is you can get immensely isolated and insulated from the real world. This can result in really bad decisions.

Adam

That ego...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is.

"That ego..."; I really don't think Newt has a bigger ego than Romney, Paul etc. And not even close to Obama's "Emperor of the Universe" ego.

"...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is."

And that is true of almost everyone.

For the record, I do have a good sense of humor and I[...]

You think you’re funny. You’re not. The "back of the bus" line was beyond the pale, and you’ve just been digging yourself a deeper hole since. If you weren’t such a twit I’d start suspecting that you were a ghostwriter for the Ron Paul newsletters.

That ego...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is.

"That ego..."; I really don't think Newt has a bigger ego than Romney, Paul etc. And not even close to Obama's "Emperor of the Universe" ego.

"...I just don't think he is as smart as he thinks he is."

And that is true of almost everyone.

Yes, but everyone else is not a potential leader of the free world. We need such a person to have a good grip on assessing his own abilities.

My wife and I just opened our New Year’s champagne. It was brut but bitter. I mixed mine with Welch’s white grape juice. Give me a beer any day. In vino veritas.

Nth Doctor with diminishing returns wrote:

The "back of the bus" line was beyond the pale, and you’ve just been digging yourself a deeper hole since.

end quote

What in the hell are you talking about? That was easily defensible, satiric humor based on Speaker Grinchgrinch’s remarks. People from “the South” have “code words” you idiot. They hide their racism behind euphemisms. Mr. Salamander is from Georgia. He knows the drill. Half Negroid, half white/Hispanic, (or as Fred Sanford, or Redd Foxx because he could get away with it said on network TV - he called them “niggericans”,) Juan Williams, picked up on that.

No disrespect to the ladies, but Ninth Doctor, you are a pussy. Grow a pair, white boy. Newt is going to be blasted if he wins he GOP nomination. If you want him elected over Barack Obama be ready to counter the Lame Stream Media. It will be relentless.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor