Woody Allen

caroljane

I am on a movie jag, not by choice. Movies are all I am currently getting for free on TV. Currently they are showing all of Woody Allen's movies, most of which I have seen before. What strikes me is that in retrospect my impression of his work has not changed. His early comedy was truly funny. Manhattan and Annie Hall, New York City travelogues apart, were creepy and sort of depressing, and Diane Keaton is not that charismatic a star., not fascinating enough a personality to carry a movie.

Match Point was a good film noir, but the operatic score in the final scenes was too over the top. Irony was not required here.

Radio Days is completely satisfying, a lovely film.

Carol:

Hit the link...

http://www.hulu.com/ these are some of the 2,228 TV shows that you can watch on your computer - there are also tons of movies

NHL Games brings you hockey's most thrilling games from the past and present. This is your home for the Nat... more

Current Condensed Games (746)

Current Full Games (254)

Classic Games (43)

Others (2)

The Vanilla Ice Project

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_restaurant_impossible.jpg

Restaurant: Impossible

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_wild_romance.jpg

Wild Romance

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_buddha_realms.jpg

Buddha Realms

add to favorites

Carol:

Hit the link...

http://www.hulu.com/ these are some of the 2,228 TV shows that you can watch on your computer - there are also tons of movies

NHL Games brings you hockey's most thrilling games from the past and present. This is your home for the Nat... more

Current Condensed Games (746)

Current Full Games (254)

Classic Games (43)

Others (2)

The Vanilla Ice Project

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_restaurant_impossible.jpg

Restaurant: Impossible

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_wild_romance.jpg

Wild Romance

add to favorites

btn-play-big.pngshow_thumbnail_buddha_realms.jpg

Buddha Realms

add to favorites

Thanks Adam.

So, do you agree with me about Radio Days?

So, do you agree with me about Radio Days?

I thought Radio Days was good, but one of his weaker ones. Annie Hall and Love and Death are probably his best. Crimes and Misdemeanors and Mighty Aphrodite also stand out in my memory. Here’s another thread with some discussion of his work:

http://www.objectivi...ndpost&p=105864

Never been a Woody Allen fan.

I probably have seen about one third of one of his movies.

Call me a neo-Pelagian lol

If you, or ND would reccommend a Woody Allen film for me to see which one would y'all reccommend?

If you, or ND would reccommend a Woody Allen film for me to see which one would y'all reccommend?

The two I mentioned - Radio Days (NY Nostalgia, I think you would like it)

Match Point, a different direction, his try at straight film noir.

I think Mighty Aphrodite is a better pick for Adam, just a gut feeling. Or Annie Hall.

I think Mighty Aphrodite is a better pick for Adam, just a gut feeling. Or Annie Hall.

I had forgotten about Aphrodite which was indeed very funny, so I will add it, but I stick with my picks otherwise, Annie Hall was way overrated.

Now whose taste do you trust Adam, an enervated Floridian postmodernist, or a senior member of the Fraternal Order of the Sacred Igloo?

Hint: your answer begins, "Er, gulp"

ISS

Carol

cc Gord

Nanook

Grand Shaman

I used to be a huge Woody Allen fan, but was so disappointed with two of his later films (Whatever Works and Midnight in Paris) that I threw those DVDs in the trash. (A few years ago, if anyone had told me that I'd ever do that with an Allen film, I'd have thought they were crazy!).

Allen rehashes the same topic and over again, but in those two later films, seemed to lack the bite, the wit, the insprining dialogues, the philosophical streak, the irresesistible, tragicomical mixture he managed to present on screen, where the spectators could emphatize with his movie characters struggling to make sense in a 'not-so-benevolent universe' (Allen's own philosophical position).

I have not seen all of Allen's movies, but of those I have seen my top favorites are:

Love and Death, Manhattan, Zelig, Hannah and her Sisters.

Il aso enjoyed Annie Hall, Play it again Sam, Radio Days, and Purple Rose of Cairo.