On Getting Off of One's Butt (Being a Doer not Just a Muser)

I'm continually impressed by how much Diana H's small community group, "Front Range Objectivists", does to get up out of the passive, grumbling defeated armchair state and fight for their values:

" For calendar year 2011, Front Range Objectivism (FRO) members ... published the following at the regional and national level: Articles: 4, OpEds: 73, LTEs: 24. Some of the topics covered include free speech, economics, health care, energy policy and environmentalism, the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, abortion and "personhood", foreign policy, and Colorado politics. For comparison, our total 2010 output was 5 articles, 68 OpEds, and 27 LTEs. The majority of this writing was done by people working in their spare time, in addition to their day jobs. This list does not include numerous TV/radio appearances, talks to community groups, oral and written statements to elected officials, postings to Facebook and Twitter, and blogging." -- Paul Hsieh, Noodlefood.

The future is affected by those who choose to affect it.

Not by those who lie down and 'take it' across a whole life - like a kicked dog.

Does anyone here have any examples to share of their own fighting for their values and philosophy - either currently or in the past? (Doesn't necessarily have to be activism/outreach to the general public. There are other ways.)

Does anyone here have any examples to share of their own fighting for their values and philosophy - either currently or in the past? (Doesn't necessarily have to be activism/outreach to the general public. There are other ways.)

You go first.

Ghs

I record books for blind and dyslexic folk. Primarily for selfish reasons -- I am very good at it and it could benefit me and mine. And for social reasons. I hate to see people who have lost their vision or have inherited a reading difficulty through no fault of their own be stuck and isolated. I want to see everyone who is able, to be in play.

It is better to light a candle, however small and weak, than to curse the Darkness.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'm continually impressed by how much Diana H's small community group, "Front Range Objectivists", does to get up out of the passive, grumbling defeated armchair state and fight for their values:

Here you go Phil, use this as your model and you’ll surely be welcome in that club.

http://www.objectivi...ndpost&p=144351

One might suggest you build your own clique, but the computer skills involved are certainly beyond those of someone who can’t master the quote function on such an easy-to-use forum as OL.

The majority of this writing was done by people working in their spare time, in addition to their day jobs.

A majority may do this in their spare time, but is there a minority that does this full time? Meaning, for lack of a job? Anyone you can name?

Not by those who lie down and 'take it' across a whole life - like a kicked dog.

What a lousy self-image you’re carrying around.

Does anyone here have any examples to share of their own fighting for their values and philosophy - either currently or in the past?

That they want to discuss with you? Oh yeah, everyone on OL is just itching for another schoolmarming…

Philmarm.jpg

I must add here that I don’t mean to disparage DH (or any of her associates) if she’s unemployed and therefore spends lots of time on this kind of thing. I do object to any Phil-initiated charge (or implication) about “getting off one’s butts” and producing as many op-eds, letters to the editor, or whatever else.

> if she’s unemployed and therefore spends lots of time on this kind of thing.

Who said it had to be lots of time?

> they want to discuss with you..

Who said a public post on a public list is a discussion "with me"?

" For calendar year 2011, Front Range Objectivism (FRO) members ... published the following at the regional and national level: Articles: 4, OpEds: 73, LTEs: 24. Some of the topics covered include free speech, economics, health care, energy policy and environmentalism, the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, abortion and "personhood", foreign policy, and Colorado politics. For comparison, our total 2010 output was 5 articles, 68 OpEds, and 27 LTEs. The majority of this writing was done by people working in their spare time, in addition to their day jobs. This list does not include numerous TV/radio appearances, talks to community groups, oral and written statements to elected officials, postings to Facebook and Twitter, and blogging." -- Paul Hsieh, Noodlefood.

First of all, I'm not automatically impressed by activism as such. For example, ideologists and religious fundamentalists tend to be very active people, making propaganda, attending many meetings to reinforce their own beliefs, etc.

Orthodox/closed systems always seem to need 'chief ideologues' whose job is to continually hammer "the true doctrine" into their followers.

Mrs K., the Jehova's Witness coming to my door once told me: "You know, if our community didn't have those meetings each week, everything would drift apart." ("da würde doch alles auseinanderlaufen", she phrased it in German).

So very true, Mrs K.

So it depends on what kind of activity it is.

But even when it comes to non-ideological activities, very active people often make me feel strained. I suppose my tendency to procrastinate factors in here, and seeing those paragons of "getting-many-things-done fast" raises feelings of guilt in me. :smile:

But since I wouldn't want to be that active anyway, there's actually nothing to feel guilty about.

But where I do give a lot and where I'm very committed is my job as a teacher of young children.The tax declaration can wait, but in my job it is 100 % that I give.

You go first.

Ghs

It has been said that brevity is the soul of wit.

I could explain further, but I won't.

> since I wouldn't want to be that active anyway, there's actually nothing to feel guilty about.

But where I do give a lot and where I'm very committed is my job as teacher of young children.The tax declaration can wait, but in my job it is 100 %, that I give.

Xray, I think that's great. This thread was not intended to just be about activism, but about any way that one gets off one's butt does things to further one's values. In your case, a career choice. And in Baal's case, a spending of free time helping people in a certain way:

" I record books for blind and dyslexic folk. ...I hate to see people who have lost their vision or have inherited a reading difficulty through no fault of their own be stuck and isolated."

One can get a great deal of satisfaction from a choice like this (for me it's teaching). Has nothing to do with Oism, activism, philosophy, proselytizing.

Baal cites this old quote which captures the right attitude toward taking actin to further your values:

It is better to light a candle, however small and weak, than to curse the Darkness.

> seeing those paragons of "getting-many-things-done fast" raises feelings of guilt in me. :smile: But since I wouldn't want to be that active anyway, there's actually nothing to feel guilty about. [Xray]

That's right. It's not how much or in how many different directions. It's just that, if you have strong values and ideas and consider them important, you - at some point - in life take or have taken -some form- of significant action*. Doing too much in too many different directions can be a mistake as well. Lack of focus, lack of skill, distraction. And, also, as you mention, doing something "too fast" that instead requires time and thought...and maybe even mulling over and trial and error.

There's a quote from Dagny - maybe one of my top five or ten from the book - about we are those who do not leave our values to empty dreams.

* Values are meant to be brought into reality. You can't change the whole world and it's not a novel so you have to be realistic and you have other goals.

Jeez, Phil! Just when I get down on my butt (or in my case, my side) to nonprodutcively go on the internet and watch TV you have to hit me with this. (On the plus side your topic titles are improving).

I have in fact engaged in such activity as you describe, but it was in the area of union organizing, striking, etc., and though deeply satisfying and exhilirating as it was, I do not think you would admire it.

Baal cites this old quote which captures the right attitude toward taking actin to further your values:

I too thought when reading the quote posted by Ba'al : "What a wonderful saying that is!"

It propels you forward, encourages you to never give up. Every action that brings light into the darkness counts. There's such a deep truth in that.

http://www.phrases.o...ngs/207500.html

It was first spoken in public by Peter Benenson, the English lawyer and founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10th December 1961. The candle circled by barbed wire has since become the society's emblem.

I too thought when reading the quote posted by Ba'al : "What a wonderful saying that is!"

It propels you forward, encourages you to never give up. Every action that brings light into the darkness counts. There's such a deep truth in that.

http://www.phrases.o...ngs/207500.html

It was first spoken in public by Peter Benenson, the English lawyer and founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10th December 1961. The candle circled by barbed wire has since become the society's emblem.

Angela, thanks for sourcing that , How appropriate that it would be that "help of the helpless" group who coined that quietly powerful phrase.

The candles of course might never spread enough light to bring forth justice for all the persecuted. But the candles lit in ourselves, when doing what is right, are enough to keep us going.

Baal cites this old quote which captures the right attitude toward taking actin to further your values: It is better to light a candle, however small and weak, than to curse the Darkness.
I too thought when reading the quote posted by Ba'al : "What a wonderful saying that is!" It propels you forward, encourages you to never give up. Every action that brings light into the darkness counts. There's such a deep truth in that.
http://www.phrases.o...ngs/207500.html It was first spoken in public by Peter Benenson, the English lawyer and founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10th December 1961. The candle circled by barbed wire has since become the society's emblem.

There are times when cursing the darkness, metaphorically speaking, may be the appropriate thing to do. A better "candle" quotation is the poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay:

My candle burns at both ends

It will not last the night;

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -

It gives a lovely light.

Ghs

Baal cites this old quote which captures the right attitude toward taking actin to further your values: It is better to light a candle, however small and weak, than to curse the Darkness.
I too thought when reading the quote posted by Ba'al : "What a wonderful saying that is!" It propels you forward, encourages you to never give up. Every action that brings light into the darkness counts. There's such a deep truth in that.
http://www.phrases.o...ngs/207500.html It was first spoken in public by Peter Benenson, the English lawyer and founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10th December 1961. The candle circled by barbed wire has since become the society's emblem.

There are times when cursing the darkness, metaphorically speaking, may be the appropriate thing to do. A better "candle" quotation is the poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay:

It gives a lovely light.

Ghs

Yes indeed, then comes the time when "your moment is the sun/upon the hill, after the sun has set."

What a fine poet she was. "Music my refuge, and my only one" ... and "Euclid alone hath looked on beauty bare." A good Objectivist motto!

Not original with me. But I believe it strongly.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It gives a lovely light.

Ghs

Yes indeed, then comes the time when "your moment is the sun/upon the hill, after the sun has set."

What a fine poet she was. "Music my refuge, and my only one" ... and "Euclid alone hath looked on beauty bare." A good Objectivist motto!

And oh yes -

Was it for this I uttered prayers

and sobbed and cursed and kicked the stairs?

that now, domestic as a plate,

I should retire at half past eight"

This is what I found...

"The tribute paid by Adlai Stevenson to Eleanor Roosevelt when the former First Lady died in November 1962 was: "She would rather light a candle than curse the darkness, and her glow has warmed the world." I have also heard that this quote is a Chinese proverb that was quoted by Peter Benenson, the founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10 December 1961 and provided Amnesty International with its symbol of a burning candle encircled by barbed wire."

===========================================================================================================

I have also found it, as others in sayings attributed to Kung Fu-tzu, known to us occidentals as Confucius wherein he says:

It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.

Adam

> since I wouldn't want to be that active anyway, there's actually nothing to feel guilty about.

But where I do give a lot and where I'm very committed is my job as teacher of young children.The tax declaration can wait, but in my job it is 100 %, that I give.

Xray, I think that's great. This thread was not intended to just be about activism, but about any way that one gets off one's butt does things to further one's values. In your case, a career choice. And in Baal's case, a spending of free time helping people in a certain way:

" I record books for blind and dyslexic folk. ...I hate to see people who have lost their vision or have inherited a reading difficulty through no fault of their own be stuck and isolated."

One can get a great deal of satisfaction from a choice like this (for me it's teaching). Has nothing to do with Oism, activism, philosophy, proselytizing.

Phil, people have different ways of going about this. I think some of the best forms of activism are brought about by creating something new and leading by example. Wikipedia, Atlasphere and the Atlas Shrugged movie are examples of this. I think Patri Friedman's folk activism criticism was apt. The straightforward, direct roboactivism is a dead end. It is positive from the standpoint of self-assertion and affirming your values, but the results are negligible politically and culturally. You have to find some way to exert extended leverage in a way that is sustainable and self-generating and only a few will succeed at doing that. However, I think that what Diana and Paul, Craig Biddle and others are doing is important for the Objectivist movement in that the more unofficial choices and outlets will shift power away from just a few people in the movement. The more decentralized all parts of the Objectivist movement become, the better. An Objectivist movement where people can seek out and find people to discuss any subject at a high level is vitally important. It is also important in terms of innovation, more of which is sorely needed.

Jim

I prefer Dylan Thomas's more aggressive way of putting it: Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Especially apt in the context of this thread as well.

I am not critising others' efforts, but is writing a letter to the editor this type of rage? I suppose it possible. Not everybody can build a skyscraper.

I prefer Dylan Thomas's more aggressive way of putting it: Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Especially apt in the context of this thread as well.

I am not critising others' efforts, but is writing a letter to the editor this type of rage? I suppose it possible. Not everybody can build a skyscraper.

One does (or should do) what one can do.

Ba'al Chatzaf

> they want to discuss with you..

Who said a public post on a public list is a discussion "with me"?

When you start a thread it’s a safe assumption that you’re going to take an active part in the conversation.