Branden's High Points (misleading title by OP)

Philip Coates

There is a kind of autism here in Phil, no?

I think you ought to lay off the autistic. They have it hard enough without being compared to Phil.

Aspies can take care of themselves, especially high-functioning guys like Ba'al and several among my thirty-year friends (NB that a diagnosis placing you somewhere on the spectrum can be a revelation and a liberation -- it can open the door for community and acceptance. And since it is a spectrum disorder, and a mystery, I don't see much wrong with stressing that question for Phil. They are all the same question, studded like currants in the vast dough of my post above.

What are you?

But, yes, Ninth, one of the staggering ironies that pass through Phil like neutrinos through the earth's core, like radio waves through a television, like a storm of fatal solar radiation that for an immune organism (like the cockroach) is inconsequential is any and all arguments that use as a basis an appreciation of human nature. Phil does not do some things 'naturally' but from learning as with Ba'al. He has a repertoire of behaviours like all of us, and like all of us, Aspies can have the full menu of emotions -- sadness, anger, joy, fear, disgust, trust, surprise, anger, anticipation -- and feel them deeply, and will structure his or her life to best deal with, manage and express the emotion to others as well as he or she is able to do. But along the spectrum is that other spectrum, the social deficit, the empathy gap, the depth and breadth of the inability to read other people's emotions.**

So, I do not pummel the autistic in any way, so I won't lay off Phil with the questions he has avoided for Lo these seven hundred years. Is he a vampire? Can he see himself in the mirror? Can he see others in himself and vice-versa? Can he understand the biplay of emotion in a group well enough to help him get to his goals?

If I straight up asked Phil if he had ever wondered if he might be the special kind of person who could find himself on the Aspergers Spectrum, what then, ND? I guess I have figured that since Phil has already picked out all the currants from the bun, he doesn't really like ANY of these pesky questions anyway. At least he knows they are all in the same general class of things. A bit tougher to chew and process. To be avoided.

The Staggering Irony of him spitting out all the cogent questions from others while relentlessly re-issuing his Challenges, well, ND, what can we do but speculate ...?

Thanks for that note.

I don't agree in the slightest with the central lese majeste point of William here (and others in other posts) about the inappropriateness of "constantly criticizing your betters".

But he makes the point very powerfully and vividly - and in a number of different, inventive ways

Oh dear, I wonder if the central lese-majesty (Spelling! Mrs Grundy!) point is actually what Phil has stated here?

I shall consult the author.

No, the central point is not at all summed up with lese-majesty, nor 'inappropriateness' of constant criticism. Sigh. All those words, all those commas, all those currants plump and perfectly toothsome. Oh well.

I don't agree in the slightest with the central lese majeste point of William here (and others in other posts) about the inappropriateness of "constantly criticizing your betters".

Phil,

Let's remember the correct meaning we saw under the magnifying glass as we swirl it around the room to examine something else (like William's style).

I don't believe for a minute William was talking about "criticizing your betters" in terms of the whole human being. He was not saying that you, Phil, are an inferior human being to anyone else.

I do believe he was talking about criticizing the efforts and intents of someone who has much more knowledge, skill and achievement in a specific area than you do. Before a master craftsman, you, I and everyone else have our "betters."

Well, indeed, Michael it was about something uniting the relation between peers, betters, pupils, students, teachers, torture classrooms -- but not about criticizing peers or betters in essence, as central hook.

I would invite you to do what Phil would not do, and skim back through for the questions that I know Phil will not entertain, all about how he sees himself, the mirror, the hierarchy, the game, his emotional understanding of others, and his emotional understanding of himself.

He could have so much to learn (in a pop-psych neo-O environment) from Branden's later corrections of his work, especially as he adds his O-inflected opinions and guides to managing emotions. And this is from someone who doesn't really have an attachment to Branden's work and life.

A master is your better in his field unless you are a master in that field, too. Skill takes study and practice--lots and lots of it, not just opinion. You piss people off when you disrespect that.

But in the single aspect of writing skills, I think everyone can be a critic nowadays. Phil's analysis of Bill's piece shows he is a good critic of structural elements.

Look at these things, you two (disrespect of a master/lese-majesty & good critic of structural elements). A master (or peer), a critic. I mean, run with that, see where Phil casts himself: does he play the part of the Emperor or the parade-viewer who notes nakedness?

I was not, I hope, trying to emphasize Master/Slave relations or Royalist horror or any of that shit, though that shit is fun for all.

I was trying to help Phil sharpen his perceptions, and to help him ponder his social perceptions and relations, the Mirror. Not to accept or assign rank in the Guild of Greats, Lessers, Beginners and Those Who Get Snacks.

Because, as Carol points out I am not a published writer in any common sense of the world. In fact, I am sure that Phil's serious output exceeds my pitiful news reporting in the Chetwynd Echo, and my commentary and reporting in Angles by a great and enduring degree. It was long ago, I do not trumpet it, though it changed my game. I write for my own mysterious motives, but obviously not to climb into any Pantheon. I am what I am, an internet fiend and not much more in the medium of words. I do not ultimately burn to write a memoir or fiction before I die ... I was but a singer and I left my scratchings. And this, of course:

You said it before, Carol (as did George), it is self-awareness. As a tool, it is one of the Top Five, I think, and you always carry it in your head, leaving your hands free for shopping and keyboards. And if your self-assessments are as reliable and intelligent as your assessments of the other primates, the game of life can be played to better effect for you, your kin, and your kith. Carol, I gotta say it again, if you are not actual kin, you gotta be actual kith.

Subject: Put up or Shut up

> When you get it wrong or proclaim misleading overgeneralizations to him (which happens a lot with you) [MSK]

That's the real point, so what do you think I'm wildly wrong about?

Phil, I never called you a sad little monkey. I called you a sad monkey. I fear you might be damaged by Objectivism, damaged as only those who need love and encouragement can be. I fear you do not have a fucking clue what I mean by questioning you about the mirror or whacking the gong repeatedly on empathy, emotion, the social world, the game, the mirror, all that shit.

Gawd, Phil, I have failed this round. Do you know what failure tastes like? It feels like, suddenly, all the fears of annihilation of my life come to a boil and scald me.

I pace my tiny tower room. I rattle my shackles. I scream out the slit at the festive crowds below: You FOOLS!

Nobody hears me above their happy sounding idiot songs. I do not even have a chance to throw myself to my death. And I can expect the same splat of breakfastlunchdinner in my bucket tomorrow.

**This is my special interest, ND, emotion. I have entertained more than a few flabby hypotheses in this murky/bright area, but to myself and many since crushed. Do you think Phil's non-grokking might place him on the Spectrum? I mean do you remember when he Could Not Get The Fucking Joke about Ninth Doctoring? Would you really have that kind of buttfaced stupidity ascribed to malice or self-delusion or Evul? Me, I think giving him a rear-exit from the lonely tower is at least worth examining. Just to explain how my Odometer is set up. No offence. You have long ago won the game of Butterfly with Phil. I write nine thousand words, all the specimens escape and breed. You, you use the long pins and them suckers stay pinned for eternity.

I recognize a Master.

Edited by william.scherk

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would invite you to do what Phil would not do, and skim back through for the questions that I know Phil will not entertain, all about how he sees himself, the mirror, the hierarchy, the game, his emotional understanding of others, and his emotional understanding of himself.

William,

I refer you to my memoirs that I wrote on the old SoloHQ and the earliest works I wrote here on OL. You'll find plenty of me there from that angle is that is your interest.

I will be retaking this path in life, so you hold onto your pants...

Michael

I recognize a Master.

Thanks, to one Master from the Doctor. I’m just so sick of all this Phil shit. I had an interesting idea I wanted to explore today, and all the OL time I spent went towards Phil. Why doesn’t he just start his own forum? Here’s why, if he were a moderator it would look like this:

No footy-prints allowed on Phil’s desert!

There is a kind of autism here in Phil, no?

I think you ought to lay off the autistic. They have it hard enough without being compared to Phil.

I recognize a Master.

Don't be too hasty. TimeLords are a separate category, not covered in the Lexicon, and they can do things in distant galaxies and alternate universes that we can't, try as we might. (And 9th has done things on certain planets that he should be ashamed of though that is no reflection on his professional accomplishments. The cad).

Also if you recognize him as a Master he will own your soul forever and make you feed the pigs.

A word to the wise.

Hugth and kithes,

Carol

A word to the wise.

How uninformed! The Master is a Time Lord. Uh-oh, to demonstrate this I'm going to have to link to Wikipedia. Phil may object! He may even call me a hypocrite!!

http://en.wikipedia....ter_(Doctor_Who)

Btw to go offtopic a mo, did I tell you what my son got for Xmas? A van Gogh style painting (I thought it looked a bit Munschy too) with a Tardis whirling away into the sky in a storm, I don't think Jonathan would rate it much but it's wonderful.

Gawd, Phil, I have failed this round.

William,

There is one essential element to all this that nobody talks about, but everybody has in the back of their minds as they post.

Audience.

Neither Phil, nor anyone else into posturing, would do one one-thousandth of their bluffing and strutting by email, one-on-one.

The audience's the thing, so that's where they swing.

Bluffing without audience is like a bread sandwich.

But bluffing in front of an audience is tricky mean addicting. Bad. Nasty bad. Like a rattlesnake's bite. And once you start and get your first few buzzes, you can't stop even as you cuss yourself for doing it.

So, what's that got to do with you failing?

Simple.

You will always fail to help an audience bluff junkie if you play along with him in front of an audience.

Michael

Btw to go offtopic a mo, did I tell you what my son got for Xmas? A van Gogh style painting (I thought it looked a bit Munschy too) with a Tardis whirling away into the sky in a storm, I don't think Jonathan would rate it much but it's wonderful.

Not many people know that Munch actually studied trans-dimensional engineering. So did Brunelleschi, btw, which explains the mystery of how the Duomo was built. That egg shell business is a myth. It was Time Lord technology, take it from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz6G-9NMTw

There is one essential element to all this that nobody talks about, but everybody has in the back of their minds as they post.

Audience.

Neither Phil, nor anyone else into posturing, would do one one-thousandth of their bluffing and strutting by email, one-on-one.

The audience's the thing, so that's where they swing.

Theory.jpg

Not many people know that Munch actually studied trans-dimensional engineering. So did Brunelleschi, btw, which explains the mystery of how the Duomo was built. That egg shell business is a myth. It was Time Lord technology, take it from me.

Oops, the pedantic proofreader misspelled Munch. Maybe I was also thinking of Robert Munsch who was another big influence on my progeny. I especially liked David's father the giant.

William,

I refer you to my memoirs that I wrote on the old SoloHQ and the earliest works I wrote here on OL. You'll find plenty of me there from that angle is that is your interest.

Frankly (and if I hadn't already noted my opinion) those are you at your best, telling the stories of your life and perceptions, explaining how things fit together Then and how they fit together Now. And using self-examination not to preen (too much, at least not as much as me!) at the results, but to offer to Yourself (first!) and others a first-polish. That shit is Brave, Michael. I can't do it and you can. So bless me and forgive me if I have not given you your due. For any faults (and I mean those you see) they have the power of truthful telling and an urge to parable. I fucking love parable. So stern by intent (the Lesson) but so gentle in delivery, so healing, so anciently helpful.

Yes, your memoirs are good. So are Phil's. Here on OL, his own memoirish posts are the strongest and most valuable (in my scheme). I think there are only three or so, but in parts ... but they are great reports, revealing, pregnant ... just some good and valuable shit. I wish he could see the good path that personal puzzling and truth-telling can lead to, as have you to your great and enduring benefit, and to those whom you are united by love. It is a good thing to remind us, that if we want people to know us, we must tell them. They cannot, ultimately, guess.

Thanks again for opening the rink, coach, and for the whistle. We still like to watch you skate, too.

As with Carol, if you are not kin, you must be kith. Otherwise why would I choose this rink of all others in the league (maybe Carol can help me articulate my garbled hockey references)?

Kith? It must be. Why else would we circling on the ice here under your lights, boss?

Yes! Even though I have ranted recently about who I write for (for me first), imagine the kind of writer who does not want a hall before him applauding as he trots out his schtick (or gives his talk)

Of course, and I would be a liar if I say that making people laugh and twanging a string on Phil's banjo is not rewarding. Jeepers, even the fun I have on my volunteer shifts (with seniors) contains a large box named Audience.

And of course, an Audience can be your best friend with a cold, sitting on the couch and asking you to shut the fuck up, she has heard it all before. The friend who fixes you with his You Are Boring Me look.

And so on.

And so of course, I ask myself how I did with the crowd and my Audience here. Not too bad, I would say. No Pantheon for me, but hey.

Here's something that I did for another segment of my audience.

Edited by william.scherk

William,

Frankly (and if I hadn't already noted my opinion) those are you at your best, telling the stories of your life and perceptions, explaining how things fit together Then and how they fit together Now. And using self-examination not to preen (too much, at least not as much as me!) at the results, but to offer to Yourself (first!) and others a first-polish. That shit is Brave, Michael. I can't do it and you can. So bless me and forgive me if I have not given you your due. For any faults (and I mean those you see) they have the power of truthful telling and an urge to parable. I fucking love parable. So stern by intent (the Lesson) but so gentle in delivery, so healing, so anciently helpful.

Yes, your memoirs are good. So are Phil's. Here on OL, his own memoirish posts are the strongest and most valuable (in my scheme). I think there are only three or so, but in parts ... but they are great reports, revealing, pregnant ... just some good and valuable shit. I wish he could see the good path that personal puzzling and truth-telling can lead to, as have you to your great and enduring benefit, and to those whom you are united by love. It is a good thing to remind us, that if we want people to know us, we must tell them. They cannot, ultimately, guess.

Thanks again for opening the rink, coach, and for the whistle. We still like to watch you skate, too.

As with Carol, if you are not kin, you must be kith. Otherwise why would I choose this rink of all others in the league (maybe Carol can help me articulate my garbled hockey references)?

Kith? It must be. Why else would we circling on the ice here under your lights, boss?

I'll second this. Michael, I haven't read anything memoirish of yours past this last year, and if you feel like reproducing the older ones I know I would like to read them.

Of course I will hold onto my pants, what do you take me for.

Bill, your hockey analogy skills are fine. I know you're not a fan but you're a Canadian, that is generally enough. Just a tip though, as you are from Vancouver. the correct response when your goalie fails to stop a puck is to groan and scream and throw your beer cup and weep, then go home. It is not to go out and vandalize your neighbours. If we did that here, I would be writing in permanent rubble.

Subject: Canyucking It Up

> It is not to go out and vandalize your neighbours.

Difference between Canada and the U.S. after a sports loss. Difference between bomb-throwing anarchistic newyawkish disrespecters of their "masters" and "betters" and "pee-ers" and lese-majeste conscious (note the preferable spelling: two *French* words, not one French followed by one English - talk about anarchy!) gawdsavethequeen head-bowed respecters of authority and of not stepping in between the cars on a moving Toronto subway. Lest civilization will fall.

> the correct response when your goalie fails to stop a puck is to groan and scream and throw your beer cup and weep, then go home.

The correct response when a "master" trips up or when you see something that is less than his best work or is less than an earth-shattering work of genius is to sob quietly, be aware of the social context and your own small expertise, and don't say anything lest you seem to be ridiculous since you haven't published as much as such a higher being has. Who obviously, being a professional, could never make mistakes on -basic- matters. Or at least none you could perceive. gawdsavetheking. After all, if you were in the inner circle of a thinker, a writer you wouldn't have the temerity to criticize would you? You don't have half her/his accomplishments and you'd just make yourself unpopular...

So just be silent. Discretion is the better path; slink away.

Ten years from now when you've published you will have earned the right to break your silence. If you remember what it was you wanted to say by then.

Subject: Canyucking It Up

> It is not to go out and vandalize your neighbours.

Difference between Canada and the U.S. after a sports loss. Difference between bomb-throwing anarchistic newyawkish disrespecters of their "masters" and "betters" and "pee-ers" and lese-majeste conscious (note the preferable spelling: two *French* words, not one French followed by one English - talk about anarchy!) gawdsavethequeen head-bowed respecters of authority and of not stepping in between the cars on a moving Toronto subway. Lest civilization will fall.

> the correct response when your goalie fails to stop a puck is to groan and scream and throw your beer cup and weep, then go home.

The correct response when a "master" trips up or when you see something that is less than his best work or is less than an earth-shattering work of genius is to sob quietly, be aware of the social context and your own small expertise, and don't say anything lest you seem to be ridiculous since you haven't published as much as such a higher being has. Who obviously, being a professional, could never make mistakes on -basic- matters. Or at least none you could perceive. gawdsavetheking. After all, if you were in the inner circle of a thinker, a writer you wouldn't have the temerity to criticize would you? You don't have half her/his accomplishments and you'd just make yourself unpopular...

So just be silent. Discretion is the better path; slink away.

Ten years from now when you've published you will have earned the right to break your silence. If you remember what it was you wanted to say by then.

Such is your global reach, Phil, that shortly after you posted here about the irrationality of joined subway cars, the Toronto Transit Commission started running the first seamless ones, affectionately called the Coates Coaches. I unveiled your full-length statue on the historic first run, and gave the speech I know you would have given. I would have mentioned this to you, but I knew you would be too busy with more important things.

lese-majeste conscious (note the preferable spelling: two *French* words, not one French followed by one English - talk about anarchy!

I am so, sooooo sorry Phil. I curtsy, I bow, I watch you slog back your drink and smack your lips and then watch you go down to the pit below the bar, again.

I shall scurry over to Wikipedia, and in sombre tones let them them know that upon investigation, we have discovered, you and I, all breathless and a-flutter with our thrilling turn-up, that when you put a Google hound on the phrase 'lese majeste,' well, that hound comes back with a Wikipedia entry for some gawdawful stupid trash about a concept in law (mostly suffixes of Norman onto common-law procedures) called Lese-Majesty!

As soon as I calm down and adjust my skirts, this is what I am going to sent off:

I tell, you, Mr Smartypants Wikipedia, that we the hill people have turned up your fraud. Lese-Majesty is not a word. No one on earth spells it like that without being Degenerate. My gawd, Wikipedia, it is Wrong. Can you simply correct this quietly, sir, and Mr Coates and I can get back to his dinner?

Oh, and before we go, I should let you know that I will be contacting Mr Dictionary and other important people who have been stunned and gutted by your fraud. It is not over, sir.

I may speak softly, but even across this marble hall, across this symbol of power, across this mahogany rink of a desk, across the interstellar vacancies of the universe, from yon distant tower which is my prison home, you will forever hear me whisper, hoarsely, YOU are wrong, sir. Sir, you are wrong.

I come but once a year, sir, from the pit in which I have been imprisoned on remand for seven hundred years, to correct your spelling of foreign-derived terms.

And you stumble, sir, you stumble. The world and its precious words darkens back into medieval nightmare, I to the pit and then the tower and my tortures, you to your beer parlours and hockey rinks and Dictionaries lisping your garbled French through the stumps. .

Hearken! Toodeloo! Bonnehomme Sept-heure! Boogeyman! Hamburger! Gros-porteur and courriel to you for your rendez-vous with justice, Mr Dictionary!

lese-majeste conscious (note the preferable spelling: two *French* words, not one French followed by one English - talk about anarchy!

I am so, sooooo sorry Phil. I curtsy, I bow, I watch you slog back your drink and smack your lips and then watch you go down to the pit below the bar, again.

I shall scurry over to Wikipedia, and in sombre tones let them them know that upon investigation, we have discovered, you and I, all breathless and a-flutter with our thrilling turn-up, that when you put a Google hound on the phrase 'lese majeste,' well, that hound comes back with a Wikipedia entry for some gawdawful stupid trash about a concept in law (mostly suffixes of Norman onto common-law procedures) called Lese-Majesty!

As soon as I calm down and adjust my skirts, this is what I am going to sent off:

I tell, you, Mr Smartypants Wikipedia, that we the hill people have turned up your fraud. Lese-Majesty is not a word. No one on earth spells it like that without being Degenerate. My gawd, Wikipedia, it is Wrong. Can you simply correct this quietly, sir, and Mr Coates and I can get back to his dinner?

Oh, and before we go, I should let you know that I will be contacting Mr Dictionary and other important people who have been stunned and gutted by your fraud. It is not over, sir.

I may speak softly, but even across this marble hall, across this symbol of power, across this mahogany rink of a desk, across the interstellar vacancies of the universe, from yon distant tower which is my prison home, you will forever hear me whisper, hoarsely, YOU are wrong, sir. Sir, you are wrong.

I come but once a year, sir, from the pit in which I have been imprisoned on remand for seven hundred years, to correct your spelling of foreign-derived terms.

And you stumble, sir, you stumble. The world and its precious words darkens back into medieval nightmare, I to the pit and then the tower and my tortures, you to your beer parlours and hockey rinks and Dictionaries lisping your garbled French through the stumps. .

Hearken! Toodeloo! Bonnehomme Sept-heure! Boogeyman! Hamburger! Gros-porteur and courriel to you for your rendez-vous with justice, Mr Dictionary!

Don't mind him, Mister Coates. He never got over the time the Metis Credit Union repossessed the rabbit farm.

Rosasharn Joad Scherk, bitter ex

Alt-U 1931XXOY

Ugh, this is un-freaking bearable. First of all, dumbass, you need an accent grave on the first e, and an accent aigu on the last. As in, lèse majesté. Don't lecture anyone about French if you don't know that, if you don't just hear it in your head that way, instantly know that that's how it is, and see it as a mistake without the accents in place. There's no fucking way you passed a college level French class, you poseur. Second, WSS didn't bother to give a link, here it is.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Lese-majesty

Weren't you just on another thread trying to convince GHS that you're an expert on Common Law?

Such is your global reach, Phil, that shortly after you posted here about the irrationality of joined subway cars, the Toronto Transit Commission started running the first seamless ones, affectionately called the Coates Coaches. I unveiled your full-length statue on the historic first run, and gave the speech I know you would have given. I would have mentioned this to you, but I knew you would be too busy with more important things.

Carol, this is when the room starts to spin and my neck starts to prickle and I have The Feeling that I have been here before, because I am hit with the memory that I have already posted pictures to OL of these self-same seamless subway marvels.

He wants to live here, but we will only let him come for visits, the monkey.

Ugh, this is un-freaking bearable. First of all, dumbass, you need an accent grave on the first e, and an accent aigu on the last. As in, lèse majesté. Don't lecture anyone about French if you don't know that, if you don't just hear it in your head that way, instantly know that that's how it is, and see it as a mistake without the accents in place. There's no fucking way you passed a college level French class, you poseur. Second, WSS didn't bother to give a link, here it is.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Lese-majesty

Weren't you just on another thread trying to convince GHS that you're an expert on Common Law?

Don't start yelling at me but I think it's possible, just possible, that Phil might conceivably have been just making a joke here, he frequently tweaks the tail of the hybrid that is joual.

I never use the French accents because they are not on my keyboard and would be inconvenient to access, it is not worth the hassle to me. And nobody has hassled me about it, so I will spread the cut slack along.

William,

Right now, I can't tell with you what is fanciful style, what is ironic (or deliciously satirical for those in the know), or what is just plain garden-variety ass-kissing.

I normally like to identify first, then judge. But since I like all three (the style, the irony/satire, and the ass-kissing), your opinion of my work is cool.

:)

Michael

William,

Right now, I can't tell with you what is fanciful style, what is ironic (or deliciously satirical for those in the know), or what is just plain garden-variety ass-kissing.

I normally like to identify first, then judge. But since I like all three (the style, the irony/satire, and the ass-kissing), your opinion of my work is cool.

:smile:

Michael

That is interesting to hear, "Identify, then judge." I am trying to think through what I do when I read, but I really can't. As far as I can tell, I just react.

I never use the French accents because they are not on my keyboard and would be inconvenient to access, it is not worth the hassle to me. And nobody has hassled me about it, so I will spread the cut slack along.

I normally wouldn’t bother someone about it either, but this is Phil we’re talking about. Sometimes, to teach the moronic among us the Golden Rule, one must do unto them as they’ve done unto others. Though, to get it right, I’d need to be hectoring him while being wrong about whatever it is I’m talking about. Maybe I'll come up with something along those lines next, but I wouldn't count on Phil to know the difference.

I normally wouldn’t bother someone about it either, but this is Phil we’re talking about. Sometimes, to teach the moronic among us the Golden Rule, one must do unto them as they’ve done unto others. Though, to get it right, I’d need to be hectoring him while being wrong about whatever it is I’m talking about. Maybe I'll come up with something along those lines next, but I wouldn't count on Phil to know the difference.

And look what he's driven you to already. Succinct and witty summing up of things you have had to say many times before, but seldom so well.