A Great Warrior Has Died

Barbara Branden

A great warrior is gone - Friday, September 15, 2006 9:21 AM

Oriana Fallaci has died after a long struggle with cancer at the age of seventy-seven. Her last years were spent in the United States in part because she was hunted in her own beloved Italy because of her war against the Islamic jihad. A fatwa calling for death was issued an Islamic jihadist; an Italian judge attempted to put her in jail for offending the invaders. She found refuge in the United States. But she also embraced America as her homeland in exile because she understood that America was the global center of resistance to the Islamic threat. The attacks of 9/11 inspired her. From her sick bed she wrote two polemics -- The Rage and The Pride and The Force of Reason which are clarion calls to action to defend the West. If we prevail in this battle to defend our civilization they will be remembered in the same way that Tom Paine's Common Sense is remembered as a summons to Americans to defend their freedom. Orianna Fallaci was a woman of unbelievable courage. We will not see her like again soon. May we honor her by heeding her warnings and dedicating ourselves to the struggle to which she gave her final hours.

Entry from David's Blog - http://www.frontpagemag.com/blog/

Western civilization will miss this tireless and courageous advocate for reason. Not all will miss her though, I was disgusted to read this quote in the International Herald Tribune from Dacia Valent, a spokeswoman for the Islamic Anti-Defamation League, "It's almost impossible to feel pity for somebody like Oriana Fallaci". Well I don't feel "pity" for Oriana Fallaci, I feel thankful for her life and work, and I feel sadness at her passing.

• 3 months later...

~ A bit late getting to this thread, but, let me add my praise to her life.

~ She was primarily an Italian 'nationalist', true. But her chronic Socratesian 'gadflying' criticisms of how Italian politics was working...especially how as of late it was kowtowing to Muslim's desires...and her criticisms of ignoring cultural threats spreading to other countries including the U.S, certainly made her a voice to reckon with.

~ Book-wise, only caught her The Rage and the Pride so far, but, many articles are available listed at Wiki. Worth checking out. She was 'Something Else.'

~ Feminists seemed to have treated her like they do Paglia (hmmm...Italian also): ignore.

~ As I've said elsewhere, Italian or not, she was clearly a Valkyrie of valkyries; 'Warrior', indeed!

R.I.P.

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

I can't believe I missed this thread when it first appeared. I admired Oriana greatly ever since "The Rage and the Pride" first appeared, and I've read a number of her books. I knew of her death when it happened and was terribly grieved.

What an incredibly brave woman. She was ahead of her time, forging into places where hardly any women went long before the women's movement. She was shot and left for dead in Mexico in the '60s. She was part of the Italian Resistance as a young girl during World War II. She ripped off her chador in front of the Ayatollah Khomeini, and his son told her that he had never seen his father laugh in his entire life, but she made his father laugh.

She will forever be one of my heroes. Rest well, Oriana.

Judith