Judge William Adams beats daughter for using the internet

This video from 2004, which has gone viral, is very disturbing. This sadist should be locked up, but the statute of limitations has unfortunately expired.

Here is the blurb:

2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter.

Ghs

George:

This was also in my ABA e-mail this morning.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/viral_youtube_video_shows_texas_judge_beating_teen_daughter/

One of the reasons that I reccommend mediation for divorce and family issues is would you want an "alleged" asshole like this making any decisions on you and/or your children?

Adam

Adam,

How anyone could inflict that kind of violence on a child, especially on his own child, exceeds my comprehension. The judge is obviously enjoying the power-trip, as conclusively illustrated by his return to hit the girl some more, while saying that he didn't get his "lick" in before.

The wife puzzles me. At first, when she tells the girl to turn over so she can hit her once on the butt, she appears to be protecting the girl from additional violence by the father. But this theory does not pan out later in the video. I don't care if the wife was in fear or not. Her participation, and her refusal to make any effort to stop the beating, makes her a willing accomplice, in my book. Any worthwhile parent would have been all over that creep, doing anything necessary to stop him.

I am not normally the revenge type, but I wouldn't care in the least if some burley bikers, after watching the video, gave that sadist a good beating.

Ghs

Adam,

How anyone could inflict that kind of violence on a child, especially on his own child, exceeds my comprehension. The judge is obviously enjoying the power-trip, as conclusively illustrated by his return to hit the girl some more, while saying that he didn't get his "lick" in before.

The wife puzzles me. At first, when she tells the girl to turn over so she can hit her once on the butt, she appears to be protecting the girl from additional violence by the father. But this theory does not pan out later in the video. I don't care if the wife was in fear or not. Her participation, and her refusal to make any effort to stop the beating, makes her a willing accomplice, in my book. Any worthwhile parent would have been all over that creep, doing anything necessary to stop him.

I am not normally the revenge type, but I wouldn't care in the least if some burley bikers, after watching the video, gave that sadist a good beating.

Ghs

George:

We are in complete agreement except for one aspect. I have no problem with revenge, especially when it involves children, defenseless animals and defenseless human adults.

I am no "tough guy," but I also do not believe that a street fight requires any rules. If I have no choice, purely by my standards and my evaluation of the risks of the situation, I will intercede and I will intercede quickly and as effectively as I can.

I have been involved, because of what I do for a living, with "battered and abused" women and parents, mostly men that have been accused of physically abusing their children, or, in a few cases, sexually abusing them.

I dislike taking those cases because if I am wrong, I would have a really difficult time living with the mistake. So far, I have been pretty fortunate.

I had one Munchhausen case and another type of case which involved the mother and shaken baby syndrome. The later was referred to me by an existing client. She was the picture perfect Iowa looking mom, beautiful, emotional and as it turns out, a complete loon.

My wife, or my significant other, will almost always meet my clients and I rely on their evaluations, as much as my own, as to the quality of the character of a person in these types of cases.

I wound up working with the father, the law guardian and the court to guide her into a psychiatric program and it worked out well for their entire family.

However, I still have a difficult time with understanding the mother in that video. I have gotten women into safe houses, shelters and other protective situations.

Yet, I have had women actually call the abuser from the shelter, in one case, and the director had to call me and explain that she was going to have to remove her. Unfortunately, I had used a personal favor that the director owed me for some work that I had done for her to get the woman into the shelter, and she was very apologetic, but, as she explained the syndrome to me, the "battered" individual cannot, in many cases, make any distinctions and needs the abuse and the abuser.

I guess, as a man, we do not have that option on our menus, I know I do not.

I am aware of the current "scientific evaluations of the battered personality," on a logical level, but I sure have a lot of trouble with it on a personal, real life level. Just does not "feel" right to me.

Adam

ITA with your assessment. The wife's behavior is that of a spouse who places her personal interest (= not wanting to get into conflict with an abusive family tyrant) over protecting her daughter.

How did these shocking scenes get documented on film at all? Who filmed this?

How did these shocking scenes get documented on film at all? Who filmed this?

County officials have been bombarded with hundreds of phone calls from concerned people wanting them to take action against the judge, whose oversees cases involving child abuse.

Police evaluated the authenticity of the video, confirmed with Hillary Adams and her mother that it took place in 2004, and also evaluated whether Hillary Adams’ disability could warrant enhanced criminal charges under state law, Jayroe said.

Hillary Adams has a relatively mild form of cerebral palsy that, as a child, prevented her hands from opening normally, according to Caller-Times archives. But she overcame the disease to become a talented, accomplished young pianist.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/nov/03/judge-william-adams-will-not-be-prosecuted/

Apparently, the daughter's web cam. "Now the beating is on display to the world on YouTube thanks to a secret video she made, and her father is also the subject of a police investigation."

"I'm experiencing some regret because I just pulled the covers off my own father's misbehavior after so many people thought he was such a good person. ... But so many people are also telling me I did the right thing," she told The Associated Press outside her mother's home in the Gulf Coast town of Portland, near Corpus Christi.

"He's supposed to be a judge who exercises fit judgment," she said.

And she said the videoed attack was not a one-off. "It did happen regularly for a period of time," she told NBC's "Today" show on Thursday.

Corpus Christi television station KZTV caught up with the judge while he was getting into his vehicle Wednesday, and he confirmed it was him in the video. But he said it "looks worse than it is" and that he doesn't expect to be disciplined.

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

When told of her father's comments, Hillary Adams said, "it's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong. ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean."

She stressed that she did not post the video as revenge and does not want her father punished. Rather, she did it because she thinks it will force him to seek help, and because he has been harassing her and she thought posting the clip would make that stop.

"We need to reach out to victims and the abusers themselves to get people to realize what it actually is," she said.

Hillary, who was 16 at the time, said she secretly videotaped the beating in her bedroom because she "knew something was about to happen."

She says her parents were angry at her for using her computer to download pirated content over the Internet.

A few minutes into the video, Hillary's mother barks at her to "turn over like a 16-year-old and take it! Like a grown woman!" For about a minute, the ordeal appears to have ended after both parents leave the room and shut the door. But the judge then storms back into the room and the beating resumes.

Hallie Adams said she was "completely brainwashed and controlled" by her ex-husband.

"I did every single thing that he did," she told NBC. Hillary Adams said she is not angry at her mother.

Adams, Arkansas County's top judge, was elected in 2001 and has dealt with at least 349 family law cases in the past year alone, nearly 50 of which involved state caseworkers seeking determine whether parents were fit to raise their children.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57317879/tex-beating-video-judge-under-2-investigations/

Another reason why the state has no business interfering in your family.

Adam

Adams, Arkansas County's top judge, was elected in 2001 and has dealt with at least 349 family law cases in the past year alone, nearly 50 of which involved state caseworkers seeking determine whether parents were fit to raise their children.

http://www.cbsnews.c...investigations/

Another reason why the state has no business interfering in your family.

Adam

Yes it is ironic that this judge's job's was to determine whether parents were fit to raise their children

On the other hand, with no state authorities interfering in families by prosecuting abusive parents like this father, how can justice be done? If the state has no business at all interfering in families, who protects the victims of abuse?

On the other hand, with no state authorities interfering in families by prosecuting abusive parents like this father, how can justice be done? If the state has no business at all interfering in families, who protects the victims of abuse?

Angela:

My apologies. I was so infuriated by this Judge having his position that I painted with too broad a brush.

What I meant to assert was that no specialized state apparatus should exist with a limited purpose, e.g., Child Protective Service, Family Court, Domestic Violence Programs.

Assault by one individual against another individual is a criminal act and should be treated as a criminal act with all the Constitutional protections that are required [here in the USA].

To place the assault on a child into a "semi-administrative-social service" gestalt allows for corruption, social engineering and forum shopping, e.g.,divorce/custody.

The newest wrinkle in custody cases in the US is a filing of nutritional abuse in the family courts to change custody!

In essence, if the little critter is getting obese, a change in custody can be filed. More litigation, more destruction of children, but more money into the system and the attorneys who bottom feed for litigation.

Does that clarify the issue for you?

We only need one state court to prosecute assault whether it occurs inside the door jam of the house and the participants are part of the same family.

Assault is assault. A is A, lol.

Adam