BREAKING: AP calls #NY9 for the Republican, Bob Turner.

Selene

This is a huge victory. It was worth my time. It just shows what a ground game can do in a special election.

This district has a lot of my old community in it. A significant piece of my old school board district also.

First time since 1921 and Warren Harding that this CD went Republican. It has a 37% plus Democratic registration.

Devastating loss for O'biwan.

I apologise for my absence, but this was an all hands on deck special election. Koch and Giuliani's endorsements were critical.

Lots of Yarmulkes at Turner HQ tonight. Finally, the Jewish vote is waking up to O'biwan's anti business and anti Israel policies.

Adam

Whining, wimp Weprin, in typical left wing form, blames everyone but himself for his catastrophic loss!

“[The election] turned into a referendum of the President and
I was an unfortunate consequence
,” Weprin (D–Queens) said during a Monday-morning quarterbacking session with this paper on Wednesday. “If this election happened when the president’s poll results were better, I could have turned this around.”

The fact that:

1) he did not even show up for a critical debate had nothing to do with it;

2) he did not even live in the district had nothing to do with it;

3) his "old line democratic machine" failed to effectively turn out his vote had nothing to do with it;

4) robo calls from Governor Cuomo and President Clinton do not physically get voters to the polls had nothing to do with it;

5) that $500,000 dollars of Democratic National Committee [DNC] ads on the last weekend concentrated on class warfare and medi-scare, rather than issues that his proposed constituency was concerned about, also had nothing to do with it.

Please! Remember this is one of the safest democratic districts in NY City. Liz Holtzman, Geraldine Ferraro, Chuck "the schmuck" Schumer and his little Weiner replacement represented and owned this district.

This was one of the major political upsets in the last three decades. Since I was a part of it, it illustrates the hard realities of politics. You win contests by getting your votes to the polls and hampering the opponents ability to do the same. Ground games win elections, football games and wars.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/38/all_weprinblamesbarack_2011_09_23_bk.html

Adam

Post script: the other special election in Nevada was almost as shocking and devastating as this one. There, in the key bell weather CD district in Nevada, which includes Reno, a marginal Republican district which O'biwan, the boy fascist prince won by a whisker in 2008, went overwhelmingly to the Republican. These two (2) vastly different special elections held on the same day are highly significant and form the basis of a landslide election in 2012.