Is Sarah Palin a Young Earth Creationist?

I'm having trouble finding an answer to that question.

Anyone have anything? Straight from her lips? Third hand hear say is less convincing to me.

It's hard to explain what you believe when deep inside you don't know. She has a decent moral compass. If you are looking for an informed, scientific/theological thinker, probably not so much. The forces of nature move her.

rde

Fred:

Are you defining YEC as:

"...a form of creationism which holds that the earth and the universe are approximately 6,000 years old?"

Adam

Edited by Selene

From the Wikipedia:

Young Earth creationism (YEC) is a form of creationism that asserts the Heavens, Earth, and all life on Earth was created by direct acts of the Abrahamic God during a relatively short period, sometime between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago.

But more specifically, I'm asking if she's a Modern Young Earth Fundementalist.

From Skeptoid:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4082

Modern Young Earth Fundamentalism. Here is where the train jumps completely off the tracks. Modern Young Earthers, for lack of a better name, are the ones behind the Creation Museum discussed earlier. They honestly believe in alternate versions of virtually every science known, throwing away every shred of modern science that doesn't point to the age of the Earth as 6,000 years. They literally believe in Adam and Eve (without navels) and all the dinosaurs on Day 1, fossilization taking only a few hundred years, and all major geologic features having been created in a few days in Noah's Flood. They reject evolution, cosmology, geology, and every science that supports them; which, by extension, eventually includes every scientific discipline. However, in their minds, they don't reject them at all; they fully embrace completely wrong, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misrepresented versions of them. Their worldview is based absolutely on the Bible as a perfect, unerring, literal historical account. As a followup, they have invented their own versions of natural sciences that they pretend supports this view. It is not possible to be a thoroughly researched Young Earther and still retain any grasp on rationality. This is the group making the overwhelming majority of noise in the media and modern culture, but it's not clear how large of a group this really is. They have the largest and loudest web presence, with AnswersInGenesis.org and the Discovery Institute, though out of 3.2 million Ph.D.'s worldwide they've only been able to find 700 who agree with their science, according to their list maintained at DissentFromDarwin.org. This represents 2% of 1% of people with advanced academic degrees.

Brian Dunning outlines seven different types of creationists. This one is the most insane. I've heard SP refered to as a YEC, but the only source I've found is an LA Times article from 2008 that quotes a Wasilla resident who had a conversation with her in 1997 and now runs some manner of pinko blog. But I'm curious if anyone has found anything else.

I'll accept a non-Objectivist. I'll accept a non-athiest. I'll accept a Christian. I'll accept a creationist. But I'm not sure if I'd be able to vote for a YEC fundementalist. So thats why I'm looking around.

I'll accept a non-Objectivist. I'll accept a non-athiest. I'll accept a Christian. I'll accept a creationist. But I'm not sure if I'd be able to vote for a YEC fundementalist. So thats why I'm looking around.

They are beyond wrong or mistaken. They are delusional.

Ba'al Chatzaf

How much trouble could Creationists get us into if they were President? Maybe not so much.

Besides being a Creationist, Michelle Bachman thinks gayness is an affliction, but I don't think she could get the votes to institutionalize Elton John. She could be mean and call him a "silly queen" in her address to Congress, but SNL and liberal comediens would come to his rescue.

What else could a Fundi President get through congress or sign off on? A majority or even a significant minority could not be corralled to do the crazy things found in either testiment of the Christian bible, or the Koran, or The Book of Mormon, etc.

Still, the Loonies make me nervous and I would not want them in positions of authority. Bachman or Obama? Bachman. Palin or Obama? Palin. Convicted Chicago mayor Rob Bagoyavich or Obama? None of the above.

I do remember history - The Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, and Prohibition

Eternal Vigilance is necessary.

Peter