If you have stock in Playboy you may want to unload it now!

Selene

Playboy and Sila Sahin ultimately did the Muslim world a favor.

This is one way to help introduce tolerance into a culture.

Fanatics are not the only ones to see what Ms. Sahin did. So are many, many young Muslims. And those younger people are looking at what the older fanatics are doing. They don't have to approve of posing in Playboy in order to see the hatred in the fanatics and reject it.

I believe this one gesture has made a far greater positive cultural impact on the backward parts of the Islamic world than all the complaining about Islam in the West combined.

Michael

Playboy and Sila Sahin ultimately did the Muslim world a favor.

This is one way to help introduce tolerance into a culture.

She's done nothing that hasn't been done many times before over the past 1400 years - outraged the Islamic world with unIslamic behaviour. Osama Bin Ladens niece has done it, by posing provocatively, but it is in fact done everyday in countless ways.

wafah_dufour_bed.jpg

Fanatics are not the only ones to see what Ms. Sahin did. So are many, many young Muslims. And those younger people are looking at what the older fanatics are doing.

Which of course they didn't need Ms. Sahin to show them - they even have a presence throughout Western universities: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8478975/University-campuses-are-hotbeds-of-Islamic-extremism.html. The fanatics are very visible regardless, particularly to the Islamic world, and particularly to young people. The fanatics are constantly appealing to other muslims, particularly to young people, to join them on the straight path. It's a well established fact that many second and third generation children of Muslim immigrants are more pious in their regiosity than their parents.

They don't have to approve of posing in Playboy in order to see the hatred in the fanatics and reject it.

To reject it they must hold different values to the hardcore muslims. If their values are shaped by Islam, then there are no guarantees wont accept the values of the hardcore, whose values were also shaped by Islam.

I believe this one gesture has made a far greater positive cultural impact on the backward parts of the Islamic world than all the complaining about Islam in the West combined.

Michael

And your evidence is what?

The voice of my inner cynic is suggesting that this is all staged to boost magazine sales and to raise this actress’s profile.

My inner cynic has quite the batting average.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/05/06/exclusive-german-playboy-says-cover-model-sila-sahin-muslim-death-threats-1913787006/?test=faces

She's not even Muslim. Never was. They sure waited quite awhile to come out with that clarification.

The voice of my inner cynic is suggesting that this is all staged to boost magazine sales and to raise this actress's profile.

My inner cynic has quite the batting average.

http://www.foxnews.c...006/?test=faces

She's not even Muslim. Never was. They sure waited quite awhile to come out with that clarification.

Kudos!

Nice call!

Now, if someone was maimed or killed because of this sham, is Playboy culpable, or liable?

And if so, to what degree?

Adam