Missouri Child Labour?

Mike11

From the Missouri government website

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/bts_web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=4124271

From the Missouri government website

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/bts_web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=4124271

What an innovative way to mark the Family Day holiday on Monday! Maybe some of the kids will get the day off work to deliver some bread and gruel to the less fortunate.

They don't have Family Day in Missouri? Only in Canada you say? Pity.

Missouri Mules, hang your heads, clasp your hooves, and bray.

Edited by daunce lynam

A key problem with the OL community is troll bait doesn't offer the same swarm it would on 4ARF or OO.net. Over on OO for example I would have several posters tripping over themselves to prove their Dickension credentials by now.

I tip my hat off to you all.

A key problem with the OL community is troll bait doesn't offer the same swarm it would on 4ARF or OO.net. Over on OO for example I would have several posters tripping over themselves to prove their Dickension credentials by now.

tiphat.gif

Back at ya!

tiphat.gif

Back at ya!

Is this bill actually in process of being passed, or is it just a proposal by Uncle Theodore-escaped-from-the-attic-again?

Sorry, it's Aunt Jane and she's still at large. Un deterred even by mockery from Jay Leno, the fearless child's-right-to-work activist Rep. Cunningham has explained that her bill is a good thing because (1) it removes the state from the parent-child relationship, in which parents always know what's best for the kid, and (2) kids who work always outperform their parasitic classmates at school.

She knows (2) because she talked to a (that would be one) public school teacher who said she could always tell the child labourers because of this outperformance.

I foresee a bright future for Rep. Cunningham in innovative conservative think tanks, doing research.

Is this bill actually in process of being passed, or is it just a proposal by Uncle Theodore-escaped-from-the-attic-again?

Um, I am being kept in the basement.

Sorry, Unc! We forgot about you down there.Heard some feeble tappings last night but thought it was just the rats again.

Good news, we're getting a new household help from Missouri soon - not like old Mrs Drudgeon, this one is strong and young, real young.

I wish they'd broaden it out a little more so I can get them into my coal mine.

--Brant

You might get your wish. In one interview the trailblazing Ms. Cunningham said that both her now-adult sons had earlier worked as "miners".

Carol:

She meant MINORS!

Actually, this does raise an interesting issue. I fudged my date of birth on my "working papers" so that I could work at Smilen Foods when I was twelve (12) and at sixteen (16) I was reporting to work at the Animal Medical Center in NY City at 8:00 AM. I had to take a bus, two trains and walk about six (6) blocks from Bloomingdales at Lexington and 59th Street to York Avenue and 61st Street.

I was never late, never missed a day of work and after work one night a week, went downtown to NBI to listen to Nathanial, Barbara or Ayn.

Seemed pretty normal to me.

Should I have been prohibited from working at 12?

Adam

--Brant

You might get your wish. In one interview the trailblazing Ms. Cunningham said that both her now-adult sons had earlier worked as "miners".

Carol:

She meant MINORS!

Actually, this does raise an interesting issue. I fudged my date of birth on my "working papers" so that I could work at Smilen Foods when I was twelve (12) and at sixteen (16) I was reporting to work at the Animal Medical Center in NY City at 8:00 AM. I had to take a bus, two trains and walk about six (6) blocks from Bloomingdales at Lexington and 59th Street to York Avenue and 61st Street.

I was never late, never missed a day of work and after work one night a week, went downtown to NBI to listen to Nathanial, Barbara or Ayn.

Adam

Adam, I know she meant minors. It was actually reported with that spelling. But if I had heard her, I might have heard "miners" and been able to report that to Brant.

Obviously, you were legally prohibited from working at 12 hence the fudging. 16 is legal working age most places, I assume it was so in NY so you were not prohibited. The laws in place then and now should not be repealed, however salutary and normal your own personal experience.

--Brant

Carol:

She meant MINORS!

Adam

Adam, you have double posted, I answered you above.

Carol:

I asked you if, by your standards, I should have been prohibited from working at the age of twelve?

Yes, no, no opinion?

Adam

Carol:

I asked you if, by your standards, I should have been prohibited from working at the age of twelve?

Yes, no, no opinion?

Adam

By my standards the laws to protect 12-year-olds from possibly exploitive or unscrupulous employers

(which I'm sure you didn't have) should stand, so yes.

Look, we all know kids work, on the family farm, in the family business, for neighbours, and "chores" are understood. But 12-year-olds should not be employees, and the law should say so. They should be kids.

In a time when we live longer than ever, and the media is moaning about the elongation of youth into the mid-30's, and the sexualization of children and the shortening of childhood, we should be trying to preserve childhood, not hurry it up into premature adult hood.

The prime example of child labour is in the entertainment industry. The kids all want to work, to show their talent. Many become adult stars- about 1 in a million. What about the rest of them?

What about the ones who hit it big as kids and outgrow their appeal? Paul Petersen, ex-child star, has a support group for the casualties, called A Minor Consideration.The horror stories he knows are heartbreaking.

You shouldn't have been working at 12. Nobody should.I am truly glad it was good for you and I know many others who incorporated such work into their childhoods. But exceptions do not prove the rule here. Worldwide children long to be free of their labour, and in America, a legislator wants them to be "free" to be told by their parents to do it. In America, beacon of freedom for the world.

Shame on her.

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol:

Thank you. I understand your position.

At what age should a "child" be permitted by the state to work?

Adam

Carol:

Adam

A child shouldn't. The usual accepted age for youths to work is 16. As you know,exceptions and waivers are customary in everwhere.

Carol:

Adam

A child shouldn't. The usual accepted age for youths to work is 16. As you know,exceptions and waivers are customary in everywhere[sic].

Carol:

Understood.

What standards should be used by the state to grant those exceptions and waivers to a youth under age 16?

Adam

Carol:

Adam

A child shouldn't. The usual accepted age for youths to work is 16. As you know,exceptions and waivers are customary in everywhere[sic].

Carol:

Understood.

What standards should be used by the state to grant those exceptions and waivers to a youth under age 16?

Adam

Hey, I've answered you three times in a row. Your turn. What exceptions and waivers do you think should be granted? I bet they are much the same as mine.

Carol:

Adam

Carol:

Understood.

Adam

Hey, I've answered you three times in a row. Your turn. What exceptions and waivers do you think should be granted? I bet they are much the same as mine.

Carol:

I do not think the state should prevent children from working. The presumption is that they should be allowed to work.

If, and this is a big if, the state can demonstrate that the child is being abused by the work, then, acting under the common law concept of, in loco parentis where there have been significant changes in legal interpretation since the colonial period America would be applicable.

Otherwise, the state should keep it's intrusive and incompetent hand out of the arena.

There are sweatshops within ten miles of the small town that I live in, over in Newark., NJ where we have child labor laws, workers comp. laws and OSHA laws. We have a plethora of laws and lo and behold, they are being violated as we type.

Adam

Edited by Selene