Pharo has been deposed. Now what?

BaalChatzaf

Pharo M'baruk has been deposed. What shall we see in his place? For those of you who just love Democracy recall the French Revolution. In 1793 they wrecked the Bastaille and celebrated. In 1795 the Revolution was eating her children. Tens of thousands of heads rolled into baskets during the Terror.

We shall see.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

What's next?

Frogs falling from the sky, maybe?

:)

Michael

I can think of nine other disasters just as bad.

It is the death of the first born that worries me.

Ba'al Chatzaf

In 1793 they wrecked the Bastaille and celebrated. In 1795 the Revolution was eating her children.

The Bastille was destroyed in 1789, the terror went from 1793 to mid-1794. Tut-tut Bob. Now maybe something as good as the Declaration of the Rights of Man will come out of this Egypt imbroglio...

Here's a Yaron Brook talking head appearance on this, but it won't embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USj2mY8SiY

(right-click and hit "watch on YouTube")

In 1793 they wrecked the Bastaille and celebrated. In 1795 the Revolution was eating her children.

The Bastille was destroyed in 1789, the terror went from 1793 to mid-1794. Tut-tut Bob. Now maybe something as good as the Declaration of the Rights of Man will come out of this Egypt imbroglio...

Here's a Yaron Brook talking head appearance on this, but it won't embed.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1USj2mY8SiY

(right-click and hit "watch on YouTube")

Oh shoot! A senior moment. Thank you for the date correction. The Declaration of the Rights of Man were worth sh*t. Look at the outrages done by the French.

Ba'al Chalzaf

I saw the video and I like how the Internet makes people aware of things that dictators and dictator-wannabes try to suppress.

I'm not so sure I like how the Internet is being used to manipulate crowds. But that comes with the territory. I prefer the freedom, even if it means one more form of crowd control tags along behind.

With respect to those who were aboard the Egyptian crowd mobilization by Internet who are not "business-oriented" (like those praised in the video), but instead were interested in taking over and making their own brand of dictatorship, the good news for us is that they will have the same vulnerability if they ever get their hands on power.

I believe their own weapons are their own undoing. Unless they find a way to shut off the Internet for good.

Michael

Richard,

That is so typical of all-or-nothing thinking where all-or-nothing does not apply.

Vulnerability does not mean instant change of a toxic government--except maybe to you and others who think like that.

Vulnerability means vulnerability. Like something opponents can exploit and use to erode the power.

Iran's government is still vulnerable. Don't think it doesn't know it, too.

Let's see what "The Gipper" Obama has to say on Monday when the protests hit over there.

Michael

I never said it does mean that. I was merely pointing out that Mubarak was a pussycat. The fact is, totalitarian regimes have always been vulnerable, that's why they need the gun.

Vulnerability does not mean instant change of a toxic government--except maybe to you and others who think like that.

Pharo M'baruk has been deposed. What shall we see in his place? For those of you who just love Democracy recall the French Revolution. In 1793 they wrecked the Bastaille and celebrated. In 1795 the Revolution was eating her children. Tens of thousands of heads rolled into baskets during the Terror.

We shall see.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The military has ruled Egypt for decades. They'll soon have another figurehead.

--Brant