Michael Dowd

I had NO IDEA I was doing a service with him on Sunday until I got the order of worship. This ought to be quite interesting. I'll be playing guitar on all the hymns, and a duet with a bowed psaltry player during the offertory. I can feel the weirdness already, but it should definitely be an experience.

Here's who he is (Wikipedia):

Michael Dowd (Born, 1958 - ) is an American evangelist minister, evolutionary theologian and religious naturalism advocate. His 2008 book, Thank God for Evolution: How the Marriage of Science and Religion Will Transform Your Life and Our World, has been endorsed by six Nobel Prize-winning scientists[who?] and a host of religious leaders, Protestant, Jewish, Catholic and Unitarian.[who?][citation needed] Its initial success prompted Penguin to purchase the worldwide rights in 2008.

On April 2, 2009, Dowd at the United Nations addressed the lack of an evolutionary worldview which he maintains has resulted in a global integrity crisis that requires a deep-time view of human nature, values and social systems to provide a solution for going forward.[1][2] He maintains a Christian perspective and, like many who others who maintain the same, he accepts the theory of evolution. Some who take the Bible literally have criticized his point of view.

www.thankgodforevolution.com

I'll let y'all know how this turns out. Will be doing it this Sun. at my church, the Unitarian Unitarian Church of Fort Myers (www.uucfm.org)

rde

Edited by Rich Engle