The hitching

All the best, Rich, forever. Do I take it from the little cutie at your side you've become a dad as well as a husband? (Although she seems more interested in the cake than you!!!) That's cool!

Ginny

All the best, Rich, forever. Do I take it from the little cutie at your side you've become a dad as well as a husband? (Although she seems more interested in the cake than you!!!) That's cool!

Ginny

(Thanks to all, firstly! I survived with only a few marks here and there)

ginny--the little cutie, that's my wife's grand-baby, Appini (4). And you were exactly right--she was VERY interested in the cake. In fact, she walked into the middle of the party, grabbed my hand, and dragged me in there...."Mr. Rich! It's time for the cake! Hurry up Mr. Rich! Come on!" She has a very rare disease (only 500 cases in North America). She looks very robust now, after they installed a feeding tube. Make A Wish Foundation just gave her and mom a free Disney Cruise/vacation. Typically, the life expectancy for these kids is somewhere in the twenties. From her teens on, she will likely spend the latter part of her life in a wheelchair. So we are trying to make every moment count. No child with this disease has ever lived past their thirties, and usually they die much younger. Currently, there is no cure. I'd tell you what it is, but I can never remember it--it's a very long name that I never can pronounce, much less spell right.

So no, I didn't become a dad because I'm already kind of done with that--I have two daughters: Katelyn (22) and Leah (18), both of them still live up North. Katelyn is a ribbon-winning machine of an equestrian. That's basically what she does when she's not in college--jump horses all over the country. Leah, I don't really know what she is exactly into these days, other than trying to get done with high school--she attends Beaumont, which is a National School of Excellence. Her mom is on the teaching staff there so she can't get away with a whole lot!

I plan on hitting the beach today, weather permit. I guess we better hurry up, because the latest report puts that fucking oil spill at about 7 miles offshore.

Cheers!

rde

Rich, I'm sorry about the little one's condition. That's a heartbreaker. Just remember, a doting grandpa and some occasional cake is something she'll never get enough of. (Me, I'd rather have the cake!)

BTW, sounds like your girls are real winners. Right on!

Edited by ginny

Throw rice! Throw rice! Congratulations to you and yours, Rich.

--Brant

don't hit the beach too hard!

Thanks, Brant. I ended up not going, I sent them there. I was busy preparing a performance piece ("De Colores," a traditional Mexican folk song). I am playing it straight on the processional, then it involves doing a positional capo transposition thingie so I can emulate mandolin sounds. Transposition into guitar classic chord positions, a bit of a pain in the ass, but do-able).

The oil slick is up in the Northern Panhandle (like around Pensacola), so, down here not so bad, at least yet.

Musically, I've been working with Chuck Grinnell, music director. He plays more or less like Bill Evans. He works with a flutist named Kat Epple. You can see their stuff on amazon, cd baby, etc.

Working on this Spanish piece and then a new string quartet from the SW Florida Symphony is playing, as well.

Best to all,

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

Thanks, David!

Oh, I FINALLY get some breathing room. About to head out to Ft. Myers Beach and hit the Gulf, hard. Ah, sweet relaxation, at last! The underground oil blow up is off the Panhandle, therefore not affecting us down here (for now). We think that ultimately it will become worse, maybe even to the point of wrapping around to the East Coast (Miami, for starters). But that remains to be seen. It has already destroyed, in advance, the millions of dollars in tourist economy normally scheduled for Florida.

Make hay while the sun shines, as they say.

Regards,

rde

Happily Married, Hitting the Beach

Edited by Rich Engle