Last post in a thread

Want to see the most recent post of an active thread, including your own post?

Go to Portal (follow the link above on this page) and then click on Today's Active Topics. This will give you all the most recent posts, including your own, as if you had clicked on "recent posts" with the "today" option instead of "since last visit."

Doing this will make sure you can see both your own recently posted to threads as well as those active with the posts of others. When you click on the title of any thread that comes up it will take you to the most recent post.

The only problem is that getting back there after you actually do visit one of those active threads requires going again to portal, and then again to Today's Active Topics. That's why I suggest just bookmarking Today's Active Topics so you can go there in one click.

(I hope someone will email this to people like Brant and Phil C. who are in a panic.)

I am including the tip I came up with in another thread below.

Here is a small tip for finding new posts.

On the main Forums page (not the Portal page), there is an icon that looks like a folder on the side of each forum. (In IPB geek-speak, a "forum" is not only a whole place like OL, it is also a section like "Objectivist Living Room" or "Meet and Greet" or "Barbara Branden Corner." They call that a forum. I call it a subforum or section.)

If you hover your mouse over the icon, a little box appears saying "Mark as read" or something like that. If you click on the icon, it turns into a faded color. That means you have read all the threads in that subforum.

In this upgrade, the rebuild program automatically marked all posts as unread for everyone, so you have to go down the main forum page and click on each folder icon on the left.

Then, whenever someone makes a new post, the icon of that subforum will become a dark color again. So if you want to read the new posts, just scroll down the main forum page and see which folder icons are dark.

You can check whether a post is recent or not by the date on the right side. It will say "today" for posts made today.

Not perfect, but it is something and it works.

Here are a couple of more tips:

1. If you "Mark as read" all of the folder icons as I gave above, the icon will automatically turn dark when someone posts a new post in that subforum, irrespective of the thread. If you open the subforum, you will see a list of threads. Everyone knows how to do this. On a thread with new posts in it, there will be a tiny pink-reddish arrow in a square box on the left of the thread title. Clicking on that box will take you to the first unread post in the thread.

Once you have read the post (i.e., clicked on the reddish box), it disappears until someone makes a new post. Also, once all the new posts in the subfolder are read (and that can include more than one thread in the subfolder), the folder icon becomes faded.

2. On the right there is a column called "Last Post Info." It gives the date and the poster. There is a tiny arrow bluish arrow in a square box to the left of the date. Clicking on that box—or clicking on the date itself—will take you to the last post in the thread. This also works on the main Forums page.

More coming.

Michael

"View new content" does that for me, it's similar to "view new posts" in the old version, you jump to the most recent post in a thread. Unfortunately in the new version once you've read a message and refresh the screen with F5, the whole topic disappears from the list, while in the old version only the orange square disappeared (the thread disappeared only after logging out and logging in again). If I now want to return to that thread, I have to go to the main menu and choose there another option, which is a bother, going through all those menus. Moreover, in the old version you had also a button in the "view new posts" where you could view the posts of "today", "this week", "this month", so I could also check older messages without having to leave the "view new posts" screen. I sorely miss that option in the new version! "Today's active topics" is not a good replacement for me, as it is a separate menu and I hugely prefer the "view new content" for finding new posts, only they shouldn't immediately disappear after reading! (Or it should be an option).

"View new content" does that for me, it's similar to "view new posts" in the old version, you jump to the most recent post in a thread. Unfortunately in the new version once you've read a message and refresh the screen with F5, the whole topic disappears from the list, while in the old version only the orange square disappeared (the thread disappeared only after logging out and logging in again). If I now want to return to that thread, I have to go to the main menu and choose there another option, which is a bother, going through all those menus. Moreover, in the old version you had also a button in the "view new posts" where you could view the posts of "today", "this week", "this month", so I could also check older messages without having to leave the "view new posts" screen. I sorely miss that option in the new version! "Today's active topics" is not a good replacement for me, as it is a separate menu and I hugely prefer the "view new content" for finding new posts, only they shouldn't immediately disappear after reading! (Or it should be an option).

No, the problem with view new content is that it does not show a thread to which you yourself have just posted. I suggest this easy, one click solution:

Go to Portal (follow the link above on this page) and then click on Today's Active Topics. This will give you all the most recent posts, including your own, as if you had clicked on "recent posts" with the "today" option instead of "since last visit."

Doing this will make sure you can see both your own recently posted to threads as well as those active with the posts of others. When you click on the title of any thread that comes up it will take you to the most recent post.

The only problem is that getting back there after you actually do visit one of those active threads requires going again to portal, and then again to Today's Active Topics.

That's why I suggest just bookmarking Today's Active Topics so you can go there in one click.

No, the problem with view new content is that it does not show a thread to which you yourself have just posted.

That is because the thread disappears when you've read the message and you always read your own message when you post it, you've in fact read the complete thread at that moment. Therefore I want the old version in which the thread doesn't disappear (only the unread mark disappears) until you've logged out. I found the old version perfect, this is certainly no improvement.

No, the problem with view new content is that it does not show a thread to which you yourself have just posted.

That is because the thread disappears when you've read the message and you always read your own message when you post it, you've in fact read the complete thread at that moment. Therefore I want the old version in which the thread doesn't disappear (only the unread mark disappears) until you've logged out. I found the old version perfect, this is certainly no improvement.

Yes, I know the reason. And that's why my one-click solution is perfect, it shows you every active thread in order of activity for the whole day. Have you tried what I suggested?

I suggest this easy, one click solution:

The only problem is that getting back there after you actually do visit one of those active threads requires going again to portal, and then again to Today's Active Topics.

That's why I suggest just bookmarking Today's Active Topics so you can go there in one click.

It works!. Thanks, Ted.

Barbara

It works!. Thanks, Ted.

Barbara

So now can you call off the attack turtles? :rolleyes: