Hamas legalized crucifixion for Xmas

Michael Stuart Kelly

I just read something jaw-dropping:

Column One: The 'realist' fantasy

By CAROLINE GLICK

Dec 25, 2008 23:11 | Updated Dec 26, 2008 18:15

Jerusalem Post

On Tuesday, Hamas legislators marked the Christmas season by passing a Shari'a criminal code for the Palestinian Authority. Among other things, it legalizes crucifixion.

I wish Glick had cited the passage. This news went all over the anti-Islamist and even anti-Muslim blogosphere. But after looking at several, all I saw was that they referenced Glick, who simply said what she said above.

I don't have time to look right now, but I believe that this particular section of the Palestinian Authority's new Shari'a criminal code needs to be widely published in the original wording (translated, of course), mentioning a link or publication where readers can verify it. If it is what Glick claims it to be, this will be a PR disaster for Hamas like they have never seen in the Western world. If it is not, Glick will have just added more noise to the shouting to ignore.

I have no idea why people don't source something like that. I will try to find this later.

btw - Good on Israel for taking their own safety in their own hands and dealing with Hamas before Obama takes office.

Michael

Michael "Good on Israel for taking their own safety in their own hands and dealing with Hamas before Obama takes office"

Indeed. They have the right.

They eliminated some more cockroaches. Hit em 24/7.

I hope we continue to share our military technology with them. They're surrounded.

Good For Israel.

The 700 Club!?!

Someone here is referencing the 700 Club?

* I proceed to rant about Objectivist objectivity for a few paragraphs. *

Searching Al Hayat, the London based paper referenced by most of these 'sources of information' does not return anything when "14 chapters and 220 clauses" is entered and nothing about The Hamas and crucifixion appears. Nothing over at the English alarabiya.net, another site referenced by these sites. Ditto for CNN, Al Jazeera and NBC that I could find.

In terms of hard evidence unfortunately the Palestine Legislative Council site is Arabic and the other Palestinian Govt websites seem to be down (might just be my crappy modem). The only site I could find was the PLO's Palestine Media Center, it had nothing.

* I rant a bit about other Right Wing myths for a bit *

MSK, I like your skeptical attitude.

Edited by Joel Mac Donald

Michael: " If it is what Glick claims it to be, this will be a PR disaster for Hamas like they have never seen in the Western world."

Unfortunately, I doubt it would be a PR disaster for Hamas. Just look at what the press -- American and international-- has already found it possible to ignore about Hamas. If they pay any attention to it at all, it will be simply one more thing for the press to pretend is the fault of Israel.

Barbara

Barbara,

I'm not so sure. The crucifixion image is deeply ingrained in the Western predominantly Christian culture. I don't like the image (I don't like instruments of torture), but it is one of the strongest ones in our culture and it is loaded with several deeply felt meanings.

Can you imagine if a journalist took a picture of a person crucified legally by Hamas and reported how many days it took the person to die? I am convinced that the outrage would be overwhelming, even among the flaming red faction of the left.

If Glick played with this image to see what would happen, she is playing with fire in terms of her credibility among moderate sympathizers. If not, I hope it can be properly sourced.

Michael