PENNE ALLA VODKA

Ciro

Penne with Vodka

PENNE ALLA VODKA

Ingredients: 4 Servings: 1 pkg. plain penne; 1 small onion; 1 tsp. white pepper, 2 oz. prosciutto, 2 oz. bacon, 4oz of vodka, several drops of tabasco sauce, 10 oz. tomato sauce, 9 oz. whipping cream, 4 oz. Parmigiano cheese, 2 tbsps. butter.

Melt the butter in a large skillet , add the onions finely chopped, the bacon, prosciutto, pepper and tabasco. Cook until the onions turn in a light golden color. Turn off the heat, then add the vodka, turn the heat on again, and allow the vodka to evaporate. Add the tomato sauce, season with few pinch of salt and simmer for twenty minutes on medium heat. Finely add the cream and cook the sauce until it thickens. Cook the pasta "al dente" and drain. Mix with sauce add the cheese and cook just for one more minute in order to let the flavors bland together . I usually serve it with sprinkled tarragon on top.

I've never had this dish. What does the vodka do for it? Vodka has no flavor or aroma of its own, so I don't see what you'd gain by putting it in and then letting the alcohol evaporate. On the other hand, alcohol left in a dish, unless the dish is a dessert, is usually unpleasant.

If the answer is "try it and see," my question in turn is: have you tried a blind tasting?

Peter

Sir, my resturant is not the only one in this street.

There are many others down the road.

You haven't payed for your food yet, you are free to leave!!

Thank you!

• 5 months later...
Sir, my resturant is not the only one in this street.

There are many others down the road.

You haven't payed for your food yet, you are free to leave!!

Thank you!

Ciro, it sounded mouth watering to me.