I got my "Golden Compass" demon

I'm Lutheus, the Tiger. In my estimation, this is a befitting daemon! :)

Regarding the movie:

I'm looking forward to seeing it, even though I am not much of a movie person. I have kids who are often bombarded with the likes of C.S. Lewis. Religion, collectivity, humility, duty . . . as values?! It will be very nice to take my kids to a movie that encourages non-conformity and intellectual investigation.

edited for a typo . . .

Edited by Virginia Murr

Regarding the movie:

I'm looking forward to seeing it, even though I am not much of a movie person. I have kids who are often bombarded with the likes of C.S. Lewis. Religion, collectivity, humility, duty . . . as values?! It will be very nice to take my kids to a movie that encourages non-conformity and intellectual investigation.

edited for a typo . . .

Good for you, Virginia! I would have bet good money you would have a cat for a daemon. Cat people are the best people, don't you think?

I just finished the first part of Pullman's trilogy (btw, in Britain, it was entitled "Northern Lights") and now I can go see the movie which I will do either this afternoon or tomorrow (G-D willing and the bridge don't collapse). I hope it will do justice to the book, which is the best page turner fiction work I have read in the past five years (I don't read all that much fiction). Whoooweeee! It is a blast.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Its 'daemon', not 'demon'.

Problem is that most people think of 'demon' they think of 'devils'. 'Daemons' are helper spirits. That is why on unix, the background processes are called 'daemons'.

Of course, that didn't stop some people from making a big stink about the term being used in UNIX back in the early '80s.

I know. there is a great little anechdotal story about the reaction someone got when wearing a t-shirt with the little BSD daemon (a little cartoon devil with a pitchfork).

I just finished the first part of Pullman's trilogy (btw, in Britain, it was entitled "Northern Lights") and now I can go see the movie which I will do either this afternoon or tomorrow (G-D willing and the bridge don't collapse). I hope it will do justice to the book, which is the best page turner fiction work I have read in the past five years (I don't read all that much fiction). Whoooweeee! It is a blast.

I think they did justice to the book. Some purists are upset that they 'watered' things down. Yes, they had to make some changes in some stuff to help move the movie plot along, but I don't think they heavily altered things. (Pullman isn't upset about these changes, so why should we?). The Magesterium is still a sinister, evil group, who want to control people and basically eliminate free will. It will be interesting if they do the next 2 movies and how they handle the issue of angels, the Kingdom of Heaven, more about Dust, etc.

Regarding the movie:

edited for a typo . . .

Good for you, Virginia! I would have bet good money you would have a cat for a daemon. Cat people are the best people, don't you think?

Ba'al Chatzaf

The fangs give me away every time! Damn!

:yes:

Melania, the Jackal Daemon...

Modest, outgoing, responsible, sociable and solitary.

Not a bad assessment ;)

artimidoris

Mouse

assertive, solitary, softly spoken, spontaneous and responsible.

Second daemon. First is being stored for 12 days. My answers were somewhat different the first time and I got another rodent, a white weasel or something.

First daemon was Valthera: Assertive, fickle, spontaneous, and softly spoken.

Hmmm... I seem to be on the cusp between responsible and fickle. :mellow:

There were two other threads open on "The Golden Compass," so I decided to merge all the threads into one here in "Movies" for ease of reference later.

Kat and I finally saw it. I wish I could say I liked it, but I found the story line way, way too choppy for my taste. Major problems, like the broken down airship, simply become resolved with a screen cut. One minute it is in the garage and in hock, the other it is flying to save the girl (or something). Also, a Wyatt Earp kind of character in the middle of all that stuck out like a sore thumb. Many of the main characters were wooden and one-dimensional. I found several things of that nature that kept me from really enjoying the film.

HOWEVER, some things were really charming. Now that I have learned about the gazillions of universes theory of QM, it is easy to see this story sitting right on top of it. The photography, music, production, etc., were all first rate Hollywood and a joy to behold. Kat raised another point in the middle, right while we were watching. She asked me about the head honcho of the Magesterium (a bad guy): "Doesn't he remind you of someone?" I looked and he really did remind me, but I couldn't place it. Then Kat said, "Nathaniel Branden."

Dayaamm!

She was right. But only at certain angles and certain facial expressions. The actor who played this part was Derek Jacobi. I couldn't find any pictures of him from the movie, but I did find a couple from other films where he more or less looked the same.

DerekJacobi.jpg

derek_jacobi_150_portrait_elvis_03-.jpg

The Magesterium in the film was supposed to be the symbol for all repressive organized religions everywhere. The irony of the chief dude looking like Nathaniel Branden was just too much to pass up. (Good natured humor, of course, but let's give the Orthodoxy something to chomp on. :) )

If anyone is interested in information on the religious controversy: Snopes confirmed that it was based on anti-religious themes.

I also took the test on the official website. My official Daemon is named Thadra, and it comes in the form of a fox. My Golden Compass says I am proud, modest, solitary, spontaneous and inquisitive.

That sounds like one of the good guys, so it must be right.

Michael

daemon.jpg

I got my daemon - a snow leopard! Aradion is solitary, fickle, assertive, spontaneous and responsible.

I enjoyed the movie The Golden Compass for the most part and it had pretty cool special effects, although IMHO I think the Harry Potter movies are much better. It is always good to see people, especially kids, challenge the authority and irrationality of the church. We took my son to see it, and he was a bit confused by the dust thing. Like Michael said, there were some holes in the story.

The thing that I found extremely weird was the armored polar bear warriors. They should have shown some real imagination and made up a new creature for that. Everyone knows polar bears don't drink whiskey and fight... they hang around the fireplace drinking Coca-Cola!

Rating: 3/5

Kat

Ha! My deamon is also a snow leopard (but then the female of course). What conclusions can we draw from that?

The best people are cat people. Not that there is anything wrong with being a jackass person, mind you.

Ba'al Chatzaf

... but I found the story line way, way too choppy for my taste. Major problems, like the broken down airship, ... Many of the main characters were wooden and one-dimensional. I found several things of that nature that kept me from really enjoying the film.

Oh, but Atlas Shrugged, now, that's different...

My review and a link are posted over on RoR. I agree, MSK, that the storyline is too fast-paced and therefore the action does not flow, but jumps. Much is left unexplained. (Over on RoR, I pointed out that Iorek takes Lyra's claim as proof and then steals his armor back. I agree, also, that this girl never flashes her "Miracle Express charge card" to pay for all this hiring she is doing.) I enjoyed the movie despite its problems. I rate it highly and recommend it strongly.

As an aside on movie problems in general. My wife and I enjoy Sneakers and watch it occasionally. We rented it a couple of times when it came out and then bought a copy. This time through, probably the sixth with our own, we noticed what should have been obvious continuity problems. Filming is done on production. Read the credits. Transportation, catering, accounting... You can spend a lifetime writing a novel with your own resources. Even an oil painting will stay wet for days... weeks... months... but, too, many of the great masterpieces in museums were produced on contract for patrons and so are open to technical criticisms, if you care to do that.

"I never met a critic who built a bridge."

I never met a bridge builder who was beyond criticism. Especially the one who built the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I never met a bridge builder who was beyond criticism. Especially the one who built the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Quite the film of that thing flipping around. It led to safer designs, of course.

--Brant

• 3 months later...

Mine is Anthora. Shy, assertive, modest, a leader and responsible.

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?973444

I got my "Golden Compass" demon. She is Calista the Lioness, so don't piss her off. She claws and bites.

Even before I received her I know my demon would be a cat.

Ba'al Chatzaf