40 Clove Garlic Chicken

CNA

I know it sounds totally insane and so much garlic. But really, so damn good. Now this recipe is not a good meal to cook for a date or if you're planning a blissful romantic night together; that is, unless both are eating and will get used to the smell. LOL It's extremely garlicky but so very very good. Goes well with rice pilaf, fresh green beans or asparagus (which I absolutely love), and some fresh lemon slices to squeeze over the pilaf or veggies. If you don't want chicken thighs and something a bit healthier, use skinless boneless chicken breast but cut down cooking time as the chicken will dry out and become tough and chewy if cooked too long.

40 Clove Garlic Chicken

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil

6 chicken thighs, dusted in flour mixture

40 cloves garlic, peeled

3 stalks celery, diced

1 medium yellow onion, sliced

1 cup dry white wine (optional)

1 cup chicken broth

2 sprigs fresh rosemary

2 sprigs fresh thyme

2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the center.

Combine flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large plastic bag. Coat chicken in seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan. Add garlic, celery and onion; saute until lightly browned. Add wine, broth, and herbs, then arrange browned chicken on top, skin side up; bring to a simmer. Cover the pan; transfer to the oven and braise 45 minutes.

Makes 6 chicken thighs with sauce.

zThigh55437.jpg

Forty cloves of garlic?!?!?! DAYAAMMMM!!!!

I think four cloves of garlic would be plenty and a lot less work. Other than that, it sounds like a delicious dish... downright scrumptious, in fact.

If you have the calories, fat and fiber available, I can calculate the WW points. Thanks.

Kat

Kat,

Yeah, I know it sounds like a lot of garlic. Of course you don't eat it all. It just permeates through the chicken and has an unbelievable taste. The garlic is so thoroughly cooked that you can literally *spread* it on bread or the chicken itself. Yikes. I thought the same thing when it was cooked for me when I was in my early 20s. I was like, damn, are you serious; you're actually going to eat that. LOL I was asked to just try it. I am open to trying new foods so I figured, what the hell. It was very good.

Now the fat and calories are based on the thigh portion of the chicken that is not boneless and skinless. But it will give you an idea. I don't think I ever used this recipe when I was watching what I was eating and losing weight. So if you substitute the thighs for boneless skinless chicken breast, the fat and calorie intake will be less. But here are the nutritional facts according to the recipe above with the thighs

Amount Per Serving: Calories 336, Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 1g), Cholesterol 77mg, Sodium 115mg, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0g, Protein 31g

Also does Weight Watchers do the "Exchanges" in addition to the points? I have 2 absolutely wonderful books you might be interested in that I'll post here and either on the fitness thread or the Library. But the one that is a huge benefit is Convenience Food Facts which you can take with you on the run, in your car, etc., and get hungry but difficult to "go out" and eat at fast food places. The other is Exchanges For All Ocassions. I am sure you got White Castles out there !! Yummy. I love these things when I am back in Indiana. *mouth watering* :) Say for instance, you're out and about and won't be home for a while but really hungry. You can look in the Exchanges For All Ocassions book and know that you can get 2 small hamburgers that will give you 322 calories, 16 g of fat, 2 carb choices. Unfortunately it doesn't list the fiber amount which I know you need this to calculate the WW points. They list all kinds of stuff in this book from KFC, Taco Bell to snack foods to convenience foods, etc. The entire book isn't like this but has quite a few chapters that cover fast food to restaurants, etc. It gives you a better idea of what to eat and what to choose to stay within your dietary goals. The other is also for convenience foods, Convenience Food Facts. For instance, it gives the nutritional facts for something such as Stouffer's cheese pizza. Serving size is 10 oz slice, 340 cal, 41 g carbs, 15 g protein, 13 gm fat. The entire book lists foods after foods this way. It can be a tremendous help before going to the grocery store and wasting time, not sure what to pick, etc. You can plan the grocery list and your dietary foods before ever getting to the grocery store with this book. For me, it was very nice to have and saved me a lot of time.

Exchanges For All Occasions 4th Edition

Convenience Food Facts

Dear god, Angie, I never read this section, but the 40 garlic cloves caught my eye.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE garlic. When I order pasta in a restaurant, I tell them to give me a lethal amount of garlic, double that amount, and then double it again. They laugh. I tell them I'm dead serious. They look at me askance and say, "O-KAY". When it comes out, they say, "Was that all right?" I say, "Close enough."

This looks delicious. Makes me wish I cooked.

I had a personal chef for awhile. She delivers food for two weeks at a time such that I can warm it up at home. I stopped using her when I went to New Mexico last September on vacation and never started up again. She's damned expensive, but the stuff she cooks is extremely scrumptious. I've got to save this recipe and give it to her if/when I can afford her again.

Judith

Edited by Judith

Dear god, Angie, I never read this section, but the 40 garlic cloves caught my eye.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE garlic. When I order pasta in a restaurant, I tell them to give me a lethal amount of garlic, double that amount, and then double it again. They laugh. I tell them I'm dead serious. They look at me askance and say, "O-KAY". When it comes out, they say, "Was that all right?" I say, "Close enough."

This looks delicious. Makes me wish I cooked.

I had a personal chef for awhile. She delivers food for two weeks at a time such that I can warm it up at home. I stopped using her when I went to New Mexico last September on vacation and never started up again. She's damned expensive, but the stuff she cooks is extremely scrumptious. I've got to save this recipe and give it to her if/when I can afford her again.

Judith

hehehehehe Well, I'm glad you'll enjoy it. It really is so damn good. The 40 cloves of garlic can be rather intimidating obviously. But it's not as overpowering as you'd think. But since you are a garlic lover, you can also spread the cooked garlic on a bread roll. You'll definitely get your dose with this dish. As for me, I love to cook all kinds from asian to italian to mexican to downhome old fashioned comfort food; that is, when I have the time. I very much enjoy it. More often than not, I'm not really hungry when it is finally cooked because I've tasted so much during it to make sure it comes out right that I'm stuffed by the time it is ready.

As for me, I love to cook all kinds from asian to italian to mexican to downhome old fashioned comfort food; that is, when I have the time. I very much enjoy it. More often than not, I'm not really hungry when it is finally cooked because I've tasted so much during it to make sure it comes out right that I'm stuffed by the time it is ready.

Hmmmm. I've just been rude enough to invite myself to visit you around dinner time next time I'm on the West Coast....

:)

Judith

As for me, I love to cook all kinds from asian to italian to mexican to downhome old fashioned comfort food; that is, when I have the time. I very much enjoy it. More often than not, I'm not really hungry when it is finally cooked because I've tasted so much during it to make sure it comes out right that I'm stuffed by the time it is ready.

Hmmmm. I've just been rude enough to invite myself to visit you around dinner time next time I'm on the West Coast....

Judith

Judith, I'll be in your seat. :cool:

Judith

Judith, I'll be in your seat. :cool:

That's okay -- I'll sit on the floor and beg for scraps. :)

Judith

Judith,

Next time you are out my way, let me know and I'll cook you up something. You love Italian food it seems. I've got a lasagne recipe you will definitely enjoy. It's one of those dishes that you just keep eating despite being stuffed. I've gotten many compliments on it, even from authentic Italians and that it reminds them of their mom's lasagne and their being back "home." I still get requests to make it from people who have had it before. Took quite a while to get it to the way I like it, a lot of experimenting. It's been a while since I cooked it though. I'll have to dig it out and post it when I can find it.

You better send some of that lasagna my way, dude. I love lasagna! *begs for e-lasagna*

*attempts to brainwash you to make stir fry* mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ya know, Ange, you seem to be ridiculously healthy. Do you have any ideas for small healthy snacks (besides...apples...stuff like that)? I'll pay you in *e-money* for any tips. :lol::)

I'd love to see a lasagne recipe, too. It is my favorite food. I usually just use the recipe on the back of a package of Prince lasagne and add a little extra meat and seasonings.

I will post a pork stir fry recipe later today or tomorrow. I found a light recipe that I want to try to make tonight for dinner. Right now I gotta meet my friend for lunch at Olive Garden. I'm suddenly jonesing for some Italian. Too bad Ciro's is not closer....

btw - I don't officially start WW until tomorrow. :)

Kat

Judith,

Next time you are out my way, let me know and I'll cook you up something. You love Italian food it seems. I've got a lasagne recipe you will definitely enjoy. It's one of those dishes that you just keep eating despite being stuffed. I've gotten many compliments on it, even from authentic Italians and that it reminds them of their mom's lasagne and their being back "home." I still get requests to make it from people who have had it before. Took quite a while to get it to the way I like it, a lot of experimenting. It's been a while since I cooked it though. I'll have to dig it out and post it when I can find it.

(*drool*) Substitute extra cheese for the meat and I'm in! (I don't eat meat in Italian food. I'm not vegetarian; I just don't like much meat. I am, however, a passionate cheese lover, especially when it comes to ricotta.)

Judith

I'm sure I have some stir fry recipes. As for being extremely healthy, I agree. I've been this way a great majority of my life. Even as a very young kid, I always tended to enjoy and lean towards food that was healthier more so than the fattier high cholesterol foods. Even when it came to candy when I was young, I rarely ate it. When I've been over at my dad's house and eating dinner, he'd comment for me to eat some meat or to eat more meat. My father has told me that even when I was 2 or 3 years old, I didn't like meat and wouldn't eat it. I'm not much for the taste of it and texture, etc. I ate more pastas, salads, breads, etc. But at any rate, I've been concentrating on healtheir foods because I was asked for some low fat recipes from Kat as well as from another on OL. But I'll post some recipes that aren't geared towards fat content, calories, etc., as well as your healthier snacks.

When I find the lasagne recipe, I'll post it. I have a lot of recipe books but the lasagne recipe is written down on a piece of paper and not sure which book it is in. When I was first learning how to cook, I originally cooked it off of DaVinci pasta box. But when I first cooked it, I didn't like it so I started changing it. As time went on, major modifications to it, adding and eliminating, more tomatoes, more garlic, less ricotta, more mozzerella, etc.

Out of everything I've tried in addition to watching Food Network, Emeril, etc., I have found two places to have some phenomenal recipes and for the most part offer very very good recipes. Sunset Magazine Recipes and Taste of Home.

Judith, I've tried veggie lasagne and it is actually pretty good without the meat. I'm not much into ricotta. But I am a cheese lover as well. But of course, can always modify as usual.

Edited by CNA

I'm sure I have some stir fry recipes. As for being extremely healthy, I agree. I've been this way a great majority of my life. Even as a very young kid, I always tended to enjoy and lean towards food that was healthier more so than the fattier high cholesterol foods. Even when it came to candy when I was young, I rarely ate it. When I've been over at my dad's house and eating dinner, he'd comment for me to eat some meat or to eat more meat. My father has told me that even when I was 2 or 3 years old, I didn't like meat and wouldn't eat it. I'm not much for the taste of it and texture, etc. I ate more pastas, salads, breads, etc. But at any rate, I've been concentrating on healtheir foods because I was asked for some low fat recipes from Kat as well as from another on OL. But I'll post some recipes that aren't geared towards fat content, calories, etc., as well as your healthier snacks.

I wish I could say the same about myself. I'm don't hate healthy foods at all, but I do eat a lot of candy, doughnuts, stuff like that. I love fruit (apples, watermelon, grapes, kiwi, pretty much all fruit) and I do like veggies for the most part, but I also love salty snacks and ice cream and all that (and pastaaaaaaaaa!). LOL. I can definitely feel the difference when I eat healthier though, so I'd like to do that more...plus, hell, it's just good for you. Better to start early so I don't have to have heart surgery, right? :heart: Learning how to cook will probably be helpful as well, since I'm kind of limited to the microwave and the toaster right now. :lol:

P.S. I hate vegetarian lasagna! I had it at a friends and I just stuffed it down...luckily without it coming back up. I think it might have partially been because it was not cooked thoroughly. :sick:

Edited by Kori