Favorite animal?

BAMF

Guerillas?

Gorillas - couldn't for the life of me remember the spelling of it last night - and when I googled guerillas in the mist (film I could remember - the spelling came out as this, so put it down). Ho hum - shamed in public :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it looks like there will be no dogs in the Angie/Victor household. The law will be laid down...

:sad:

Awwwwww....

Reminds me of this commercial. "She wanted a cat, I didn't. So we compromised...and got a cat."

Guerillas?

Gorillas - couldn't for the life of me remember the spelling of it last night - and when I googled guerillas in the mist (film I could remember - the spelling came out as this, so put it down). Ho hum - shamed in public :)

Beware the spelling nazis. :lol: At least you didn't pull something crazy out of your ass like, "guhrilla."

Well, it looks like there will be no dogs in the Angie/Victor household. The law will be laid down...

:sad:

Okay, honey, here are some pix of the types of dog from small to largest that I would choose IF I was to have a dog, meaning I personally would have the responsibility of taking care of it, cleaning up after it, walking it, replacing any property that is damaged such as my pumps or heels, etc. You can have a dog if you want. I can't stop you but the dog is your responsibility as you know.

maltese_basuedayva.jpg This is a Maltese and is adorable !!

tibetan_mastiff.jpg Tibetan Mastiff and is also so cute !!

giant-alaskan-malamute2.jpg Giant Alaskan Malamute and very cute !!

44052617_f0c5273ea6.jpg

Edited by CNA

Honey, dogs have a lot of good traits…as we were talking about in email. B)

Reminds me of this commercial. "She wanted a cat, I didn't. So we compromised...and got a cat."

Kori: Yep, this is a woman’s idea of a fair compromise. :turned: (I'm in for it now)

Edited by Victor Pross

Honey, dogs have a lot of good traits…as we were talking about in email. B)

Kori: Yep, this is a woman’s idea of a fair compromise. :turned: (I'm in for it now)

uh-huh, sure, having my leg humped and my crotched sniffed every time I walk through the door isn't my idea of a good trait to have in a pet.

Compromise, uh? If I decided to have a dog, it is my responsibility. If you decide to have a dog, it is your responsibility. I won't be the one getting up at 2 am and taking it for a walk if need be. If it destroys my Via Spigas or Coach heels for work, you can fork out the bucks to pay for them. Yeah, expensive shoes but very well made, long lasting wear, great support and will not accept anything less. LMAO So cough it up, Baby, if it happens. LOL

She just hasn't had a good dog yet, has she, Victor? Two against one!

Angie, that Maltese is thee most effing cute thing I've seen all night. And those malamutes are absolutely beautiful.

...I HAD to post this...

Fun_Cat_Dont_Cry.jpg

And hey, I think it's kind of flattering if a dog wants to hump me. Okay...actually it's really scary...

Edit: Angie, you're such a diva, gettin' all hissy about yer shoes. LOL. :devil: :lol:

Edited by Kori

I'm a diehard cat lover and always will be. But here is my baby kitty now. His name is Jengo. As for the conversion, not too sure about that one as I've also had dogs in my family at some point or another and know about all the tinkling excitement pees and stains on the carpets, having my heels chewed off my pumps, having an extremely expensive law dictionary torn to shreds, required walks every day, the begging for food when you're eating, holes being dug in the backyard. I can keep going on. But while having dogs in the house, there have been cats as well and they can get along very lovingly as I have some great shots of Saffron (dog) and Maugwy (cat) together. One great shot of Saffron's drooling tongue getting ready to lick Maugwy's face and Maugwy was totally oblivious to this fact at the time. It was a great pix of them together. If I am ever converted, it would either be a tiny little dog or one that is just absolutely huge, although I do like wolves. But at any rate, here is my baby kitty Jengo. :heart:

th_yes1.jpg

th_yes2.jpg

th_yes.jpg

My god, Angie, what a beautiful cat! Cats in general are beautiful, so for me to say that, one has to be pretty astonishingly beautiful.

There's a book I push on every single person I've ever known who's considered getting a dog. In fact, I mentioned it to Fran in an earlier post. It's called "The Right Dog For You". If you and Victor ever do compromise and agree to get a dog, it will be an invaluable resource for you in terms of investigating those traits that you can and cannot tolerate, and in terms of finding a companion that can coexist with your cat(s). For example, a terrier would probably be a bad choice because of the extreme hunt and destroy instinct. A giant breed or other lazy, mellow breed might do very well with cats, although individuals do vary.

As far as things like chewing shoes and begging at the table, if you set the ground rules early in puppyhood, you shouldn't have a problem. My kids have always had so many wonderful toys of their own that they haven't needed to eat my stuff, but then again, I've always been responsible about not leaving them unsupervised unless and until they've matured completely and I've been sure that they're completely trustworthy around expensive stuff. That means -- CRATES. When you can't watch them, crate them.

And that ESPECIALLY goes for when the dog is around the cat or other small animals if you want to avoid bloody scenes like you mentioned with the bunny. God. A few months ago one of the cleaning people accidentally put the bird cage back together wrong. My bird got out and I had a narrow escape getting him back before the Mastiffs got him. Fortunately, I crate my Mastiffs when I'm not home, and I could see the bird cage from where I was....

Teaching a young puppy from the get-go that a crate is a warm, safe place where he/she can cuddle up and sleep and get away from things, and is most emphatically NOT a place of punishment or isolation (I keep the crate in the bedroom when the puppy is little so that the puppy doesn't feel alone when it's bedtime, and otherwise keep the crate near the center of activity) will solve just about all the problems you mentioned.

Judith

Has anybody ever visited the home of a multiple cat owner? Well, there is the smell, which I can’t begin to describe except to say, imagine if Glade made an air freshener in a fragrance called ASS. Their house is enveloped in a kind of toxic stench that makes the reek of a Bombay slaughterhouse smell like freshly baked Toll House cookies.

Has anybody ever visited the home of a multiple cat owner? Well, there is the smell, which I can’t begin to describe except to say, imagine if Glade made an air freshener in a fragrance called ASS. Their house is enveloped in a kind of toxic stench that makes the reek of a Bombay slaughterhouse smell like freshly baked Toll House cookies.

Yeah, I know a woman who tried a stint at breeding cats. Unneutered toms' urine has that distinct scent. Oi. I didn't want to stay long.

Judith

Oh my, you hit the nail on the head, Victor. As much as I love cats...they just make a place stink like sweaty A-holes. They also kinda make my throat scratchy. At least I think it's the cats...it could just be other peoples' houses.

Kind of reminds me of a Margaret Cho bit..."Why...do all drug dealers houses smell like cat pee!?"

Edited by Kori

Damn, honey, you sound all pissed off and bummed now. Honey, I like dogs, really, I do. I would definitely have him trained though. If you get one or I get one and they are a very young puppy, you can't help but fall in love with them. As for the whole multiple cat owner deal, I agree. BUT if the owner cleans up after them more than just once a day as they should for proper hygeine for the cat as well as for the health conditions within the home, they shouldn't have a problem with smell, ammonia, urine, or otherwise.

Damn, it's gang up time on cats and I'm the only one here defending them. If you neuter your male cat by the time he gets to be 6 months of age, the likelihood of spraying is pretty much nonexistent. My jengo has never sprayed. He was neutered very early on. As for the smell, Scoop Away works extraordinarily well even in a multiple cat family. One is not a problem. But if the owners are not taking care of the pets as they should be, then you will have a problem with hygiene, smell, health conditions, etc. If the owner at all cares about their cat or cats, hygeine, smell, etc., is not a problem and others will never know you even have a cat if the cat is hiding out.

Damn, honey, you sound all pissed off and bummed now. Honey, I like dogs, really, I do. I would definitely have him trained though. If you get one or I get one and they are a very young puppy, you can't help but fall in love with them. As for the whole multiple cat owner deal, I agree. BUT if the owner cleans up after them more than just once a day as they should for proper hygeine for the cat as well as for the health conditions within the home, they shouldn't have a problem with smell, ammonia, urine, or otherwise.

Well, I find myself a little more sympathetic toward dogs than cats, but I'm not pissed, honey. You know, I once took my dog to a pet psychotherapist to find out why it would not stop humping my leg. It turns out the problem wasn't with him, it was with me. It seems I was putting out signals I was not aware of.

...okay, I'm being silly. :turned:

Ange, I sent you that "I brought you a cookie but I eated it" pic because it made me think of Victor after you said you liked cats better. LMAO. Awwww....

Yeah, I saw that and was like, damn, LMAO.....

Judith,

Thank you for the informative post and I will check that book out as I am sure there will be a pooch in the household eventually !!!

Well, I find myself a little more sympathetic toward dogs than cats, but I'm not pissed, honey.

Well, honey, you just haven't had a good cat. That's all. LOL This is triggering some memories. I now remember very clearly your attitude when it came to Jengo and you said, will it be sleeping in bed with us. It was a rather stern unsympathetic indifferent tone. Now I understand. I think once you get around Jengo and see how cute he really is I think you'll also fall in love with him as so many others have. He has a wonderful personality, very loving.

Well, I find myself a little more sympathetic toward dogs than cats, but I'm not pissed, honey.

Well, honey, you just haven't had a good cat. That's all. LOL This is triggering some memories. I now remember very clearly your attitude when it came to Jengo and you said, will it be sleeping in bed with us. It was a rather stern unsympathetic indifferent tone. Now I understand. I think once you get around Jengo and see how cute he really is I think you'll also fall in love with him as so many others have. He has a wonderful personality, very loving.

I was concerned about Jengo being in bed with us because, very frankly, I’m not an exhibitionist. Okay, okay, I’ll give him a chance. But I get first dibs on the ball of yarn. They are so much fun!! :turned:

Edited by Victor Pross

Damn, it's gang up time on cats and I'm the only one here defending them. If you neuter your male cat by the time he gets to be 6 months of age, the likelihood of spraying is pretty much nonexistent. My jengo has never sprayed. He was neutered very early on. As for the smell, Scoop Away works extraordinarily well even in a multiple cat family. One is not a problem. But if the owners are not taking care of the pets as they should be, then you will have a problem with hygiene, smell, health conditions, etc. If the owner at all cares about their cat or cats, hygeine, smell, etc., is not a problem and others will never know you even have a cat if the cat is hiding out.

I've been in a few homes with at least four cats, and I've never noticed any offensive smell if they have at least two litter boxes that are cleaned once a day.

You do, however, have to get used to cat hair and get one of those rollers with sticky paper on it to use on your business suit before a meeting....

:devil:

Judith

edit: that's one reason I select the color of my pets carefully: white usually isn't an option!

edit 2: and if you have dogs and cats, you have to get a baby gate and post it in the doorway to the room with the litterbox, about 7 inches off the floor, so the cats can get under it but the dogs can't get either under or over it (doesn't work for small dogs!), so that the dogs don't snack on the tootsie rolls in the litter box.

Edited by Judith

I've been in a few homes with at least four cats, and I've never noticed any offensive smell if they have at least two litter boxes that are cleaned once a day.

You do, however, have to get used to cat hair and get one of those rollers with sticky paper on it to use on your business suit before a meeting....

:devil:

Judith

Yeah, I agree that cat hair can pose a problem as well. Certain breeds such as the Ragdoll shed very very little. Like in Jengo's case being a long haired Persian, brushing is a must sometimes quite often depending on the time of year which cuts down quite a bit on the hair problem. Or you can go this route which believe it or not they absolutely LOVE, so much more playful, frisky, energetic, very happy:

lioncut1.jpg

I recently had Jengo shaved close to summertime and he was in kitty heaven. I was quite surprised. Everyone that I have talked with that has done this has reported the same thing, a lot more playful, frisky, energetic, etc.

Cats and I have a love-hate relationship. I love cats until I pet them, then I invariably rub my face, my allergies act up, and I end up looking like Hitch from the movie. No joke, that made for an interesting time one time at my girlfriend's house <_<. Well, maybe I don't love cats, I love them in that way where they piss me off after about 10 minutes, but for that first 10 minutes they're REALLY cool.

Now, dogs I love and they love me back. I can play with dogs all day, they're really nice, and they're just fun to be around. I was at my friend's house once, and he has a huge golden retriever, it's huge as far as they go and strong. I was playing with it, it latched onto my pant leg and managed to pull me out of my chair. It was really fun. The best thing with dogs is when they try to bite you and you can put a few fingers in their mouth and wrap 'em around their canine teeth. Watching what they try and do to get out is hilarious.

Or you can go this route which believe it or not they absolutely LOVE, so much more playful, frisky, energetic, very happy:

lioncut1.jpg

:rofl:

Angie, are you serious? That looks like one seriously pissed cat to me!

In fact, I remember seeing that picture making the rounds of the internet a while back, along with some joke about a woman from the south who had recently moved up north and taken the poor kitty into the groomer and asked for a line cut. Her accent resulted in the cut shown in the picture.

:rofl:

Judith

PS: I really do believe you when you say that your cat likes it; it's just that that particular picture is so funny, given the expression on that cat's face.

The best thing with dogs is when they try to bite you and you can put a few fingers in their mouth and wrap 'em around their canine teeth. Watching what they try and do to get out is hilarious.

I've used that method to open dogs' mouths as far back as I can remember -- to pop pills down their throats, to recover items that they shouldn't be eating, etc. It has always worked well until I got my Mastiff bitch. When she is determined to ingest something she believes ought to be hers, she is willing to chew right through her own cheek, it seems, if that's what it takes, if you're trying to get her mouth open that way. I still do it, but man, I'm prepared for it to hurt like crazy sometimes!

Dog jaws have truly amazing leverage. They learn to inhibit their bites as puppies as a social skill, and if they do bite us, it's an inhibited bite even if they do break the skin, so we never experience the true extent of their power. It infuriates me when parents automatically decide to get rid of a dog if it bites their kid; in most cases, that dog was simply warning away a kid that was being a pest and not respecting the dog, and the bite didn't even break the skin. I was bitten by the family dog plenty of times growing up, and I deserved it for pestering her. She was my buddy, and she tolerated my childish insensitivity with amazing patience, but enough mauling is enough.

A Chihuahua is perfectly capable of taking off your finger with one bite. A Mastiff could almost certainly take your arm. Sometimes I marvel that I'm living with giant carnivorous predators as my intimate companions -- it's like something out of a science fiction or fantasy novel.

Judith