Intelligent Romantic movies!

Here are six top favorite romantic movies not to miss—especially if you are a die-hard romantic like me (I confess, I confess!) Mind you, I hate most so-called “romantic movies” as most are unbearably maudlin or formulaic. So I want to introduce and suggest what I believe to be the exception. (Fret not, guys, these are not “chick flicks”—so cut the macho bullshit and rent one of these movies and watch it with the lady in your life). :cool:

These movies are truly heart-warming and intelligent, and therefore contravene the usual lameness of the genre. Please feel free to add to my list. Here are a few of mine:

1, City Lights

2, Marty

3, When Harry met Sally

4, The apartment

5, Walk the Line

6, Notting Hill

Wonderful—absolutely wonderful!

See you at the movies> :shifty:

Edited by Victor Pross

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are six top favorite romantic movies not to miss—especially if you are a die-hard romantic like me (I confess, I confess!) Mind you, I hate most so-called “romantic movies” as most are unbearably maudlin or formulaic. So I want to introduce and suggest what I believe to be the exception. (Fret not, guys, these are not “chick flicks”—so cut the macho bullshit and rent one of these movies and watch it with the lady in your life). :cool:

These movies are truly heart-warming and intelligent, and therefore contravene the usual lameness of the genre. Please feel free to add to my list. Here are a few of mine:

1, City Lights

2, Marty

3, When Harry met Sally

4, The apartment

5, Walk the Line

6, Notting Hill

I'd like to add three more movies to your list, Victor:

Annie Hall

Barefoot In The Park

The Graduate

1, City Lights

2, Marty

3, When Harry met Sally

4, The apartment

5, Walk the Line

6, Notting Hill

I'd like to add three more movies to your list, Victor:

Annie Hall

Barefoot In The Park

The Graduate

Excellent, Michael, excellent! Yes, damn, how could I forget about Annie Hall! Shit, The Graduate...now that is a wild romantic movie with a classic, classic ending. Barefoot in the Part, huh? Ah, good old Neil Simon. :turned:

To add just a few more....

An Officer and a Gentleman

Jerry Maquire

Titanic

Honey, I would love to sweep you up in my arms—wearing a sailor suit, as we see in An Office and a Gentleman. It sure in hell beats drowning at the end of the movie.

Edited by Victor Pross

Hardmen III. What a classic. :devil: :lol:

Seriously though, I guess I need to watch all these movies because most of the so-called romantic movies I have seen are very lame and boring. I'd rather see some snakes on a muh'fucking plane.

The only one of those that I saw was Titanic, and I have to say...hated it. I kept thinking, "Swim somewhere else and get on another piece of debris, you stupid brotha!"

Hardmen III. What a classic. :devil: :lol:

Seriously though, I guess I need to watch all these movies because most of the so-called romantic movies I have seen are very lame and boring. I'd rather see some snakes on a muh'fucking plane.

The only one of those that I saw was Titanic, and I have to say...hated it. I kept thinking, "Swim somewhere else and get on another piece of debris, you stupid brotha!"

Kori, if you want a funny, smart-ass and intelligent romance movie---Annie Hall is a good start. This was Michael's suggestion, but it should have been mine. Grrrrr! B)

As to the Titanic deal, big freakin' OY, you guys, stop paying attention to the dreadful end and pay attention to what transpired between them throughout the movie, specifically what he ultimately did for her. Jack to an extent was an O'ist but not fully, he did what he wanted with his life and lived his life for himself. He didn't put up with people's BS. He enjoyed his life and didn't take it for granted as so many people do whereas Rose was still so caught up in so much of the social aspects, losing her identity in the family name and marrying into another family name, to be subservient to her husband, to never step out of line as to what is considered proper, to serve her mother as Rose was the meal ticket if she married Cal. Jack ultimately set her free and gave her enough courage to leave, to stand up for her rights, to live her life for herself, to keep that spark of fire that she had within her, to have fun, and not to worry about what other people thought.

Rose: Well, I'm fine... I'll be fine... really.

Jack: Really? I don't think so. They've got you trapped, Rose. And you're gonna die if you don't break free. Maybe not right away because you're strong but... sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose... that fire's gonna burn out...

Rose: It's not up to you to save me, Jack.

Jack: You're right... only you can do that.

Yes, the end is sad but stop concentrating on that, people. Watch the movie over and you may find it refreshing and enjoyable as to what Jack ultimately did for her.

Edited by CNA

As to one of my suggestions: MARTY was written by Paddy Chayefsky—who Rand panned. Rand did not speak well of this movie because of its “naturalistic” leanings and of its showcasing “folks next door” types—instead of heroic giants. I must say that I respectfully disagree. I take Rand’s opinion as a personal preference and not as something that is essential of her esthetic theory.

”Marty” stars Ernest Borgnine as Marty, an Italian-American butcher who lives with his mother. Still unmarried in his thirties, the golden hearted but awkwardly shy man faces a turning point when he meets a plain schoolteacher at a dance hall and they discover that they really enjoy each other's company. Slowly but surely, they begin to fall in love and their naked need seeps out to the surface. This story is truly a heart-warming and powerful statement of the need for love and romance. In the O’ist element, the nub of the story is whether Marty will follow his heart--or listen to his mother and friends who discourage the romance. What do you think he would do...this 'folk next-door'? :turned:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048356/

edit: A few reviews from film lovers:

*I found myself deeply moved by the decency of Marty and the young teacher he meets at a singles dance. These are truly special people that life has passed by, but not for long. They discover each other and Marty calls the girl in spite of the reservations of his mother and friends.

*Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Marty and his young lady are the truly beautiful people in this poignant love story.

*I would rate this movie 50 stars if I could.

*Wonderful, funny at times and unforgettable.

Edited by Victor Pross

Rose: Well, I'm fine... I'll be fine... really.

Jack: Really? I don't think so. They've got you trapped, Rose. And you're gonna die if you don't break free. Maybe not right away because you're strong but... sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose... that fire's gonna burn out...

Rose: It's not up to you to save me, Jack.

Jack: You're right... only you can do that.

Plus, the movie is the best screen adaptation of a factual historical tragedy. The special effects blew me away.

Beautiful, baby. And let’s not forget that Jack was an artist. They are really free people who know how to live, damn it. Okay, sweetie, let’s snuggle up on the couch and rent this one. :turned:

Edited by Victor Pross

Who on EARTH would discourage ROMANCE?!

Those who don't have it, and hate to see others being happy. Such people exist.

Those bastards...

I don't care whether I have romance or not...I LOVE seeing romance. I love LOVE. It seems like romantics have died out.

~ Hey! James Cameron's TITANIC (as all his others) was Quite well done, thank you. Those who think that all sinking ships' unused floating debris is usually right there within arm's reach in a freezing North Atlantic really should find a better criticism.

~ What I'm most surprised at is that SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE hasn't been mentioned by now (not to mention Zefferelli's ROMEO AND JULIET.)

~ And, I have to ask: did no one notice that the whole MATRIX trilogy was a romantic love story, or did everyone's plot-awareness get glazed over by the hyper-'action' scenes? The whole 'plot' was Neo's and Trinity's developing mutual love. All other goings on (and motivations) were sub-plots which were ostensibly tied together as 'the main' story (Neo-vs-Smith/machines-vs-humans/architect-vs-oracle/real-vs-cyberdream/choices-vs-control/purpose-vs-chaos/etc). Scratch Neo and Trin, and, really, lottsa interesting stuff, but, no 'story.'

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

~ Hey! James Cameron's TITANIC (as all his others) was Quite well done, thank you. Those who think that all sinking ships' unused floating debris is usually right there within arm's reach in a freezing North Atlantic really should find a better criticism.

~ What I'm most surprised at is that SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE hasn't been mentioned by now (not to mention Zefferelli's ROMEO AND JULIET.)

~ And, I have to ask: did no one notice that the whole MATRIX trilogy was a romantic love story, or did everyone's plot-awareness get glazed over by the hyper-'action' scenes? The whole 'plot' was Neo's and Trinity's developing mutual love. All other goings on (and motivations) were sub-plots which were ostensibly tied together as 'the main' story (Neo-vs-Smith/machines-vs-humans/architect-vs-oracle/real-vs-cyberdream/choices-vs-control/purpose-vs-chaos/etc). Scratch Neo and Trin, and, really, lottsa interesting stuff, but, no 'story.'

LLAP

John...what? The Matrix: How is that you consider the love interest between the two main characters as the 'main plot' while everything else is merely a 'sub-plot'--when that “everything else” clearly dominates the film?

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

LLAP

Well, John, the thread just got started and many great movies haven't been mentioned yet. I haven't seen these movies yet but know about them and that is Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc. I've heard much about these movies but not seen yet and I am curious. But I want to watch them with Victor rather than by myself.

As for the Matrix trilogy, to my understanding and having watched it, it is about the human race trying to break free from the control of the machines. The very first movie of the trilogy is about what's been happening, the war that's been going on and how it happened, why they are there, setting Neo free as he is the one that is supposed to be the "chosen one" and is to set the human race free and so on and so forth. The love story unfolds later on. It wouldn't be one of my picks for a great romance story but there's many others out there that would for various reasons. But I'll watch it again I am sure to get a clearer picture of it and understanding. Even Pretty Woman is a cute romance flick and I am sure will be mentioned eventually by someone else as their choice, etc.

Give it time. :) I am sure many movies will be mentioned.

Well, John, the thread just got started and many great movies haven't been mentioned yet. I haven't seen these movies yet but know about them and that is Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc. I've heard much about these movies but not seen yet and I am curious. But I want to watch them with Victor rather than by myself.

Oh, sweetie, I will most likely be using the pause button a lot to give a running commentary on this and that scene when it comes to these films. :)

Edited by Victor Pross

I posted earlier about seeing Ghost a couple of days ago. I don't think I will ever think of a pottery wheel in the same way again. The movie also has the song Unchained Melody as a theme song. Sam and the Demi Moore character have an interested bit of a dialogue where Demi Moore keeps telling Sam "I love you" and he always replies "Ditto". At one point she comments on this. The end of the movie Sam's final word are "I love you". Her reply was "Ditto". This is the moment where I start wiping tears out of my eyes. I expect some of you will tell me that Ghost is mystical. Get over it!

Edited by Chris Grieb

I posted earlier about seeing Ghost a couple of days ago. I don't think I will ever think of a pottery wheel in the same way again. The movie also has the song Unchained Melody as a theme song. Sam and the Demi Moore character have an interested bit of a dialogue where Demi Moore keeps telling Sam "I love you" and he always replies "Ditto". At one point she comments on this. The end of the movie Sam's final word are "I love you". Her reply was "Ditto". This is the moment where I start wiping tears out of my eyes. I expect some of you will tell me that Ghost is mystical. Get over it!

Chris, I won’t be prattling on about the mystical format of the movie. The way I see it, the movie is really about undying love, enduring love, a powerful love--and that is the thrust of the movie, not cosmology. The only criticism that I would have of this flick (and it’s pretty minor) is this: it seems that the ideal of high romance—of LOVE--was figured to be “supernatural” in nature and not of the earth. You know the bit: "God is love" and "love is a fantasy" and "we must be practical" and so forth. The same story could have been told in a different way, and as such that would still have you wiping away tears. I don’t think anybody who has ever really been in love would wish to cast their love into a supernatural realm. It is very much of the world and an actual reality. Yes, I am reminded of what Ayn Rand called "Bootleg Romanticism" (see her essay with that title in The Romantic Manifesto) But yeah, I did enjoy the movie. :turned:

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Thanks Victor; Your points are good ones but I have the feeling the next time Ghost is on I'll still be wiping the tears out of my eyes. I thought the movie is interesting that ghosts can not do everything. The law of identity applies to them. I also liked the idea that good and evil people come to their appropriate ends.

Edited by Chris Grieb