Nike fun, doing it

Nike fun, doing it

The Set Up.

Nike decided to ramp up to the next level it's message of striving for greatness. It went full social justice warrior mode.

Loser NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick essentially betrayed his job description by hogging an audience he did not create to promote a political message--he knelt during the National Anthem to bash America. He sure got the cameras on him. Then other players started imitating him. This blew up into a fiasco when President Trump got involved and called out the NFL for, essentially, pissing on their main audience with anti-patriotism. This resulted in ratings and income losses for the entire NFL.

Some genius at Nike decided to cash in on the controversy and put Kaepernick up as their idea of a hero and poster boy for greatness. Pure cognitive dissonance is what they got.

09.05.2018-05.33.png

I believe they were surfing on President Trump's form of constantly poking the outrage culture in the eye to generate even more outrage. They did this because they would get free publicity. And so they did. Lots of it.

But they also got lots of people talking about their slave labor manufacturing model, people burning Nike products all across America, a substantial drop in the stock market (which means little if they recuperate, but I don't see how with a predictable massive drop in sales coming, so it probably means a lot either as direct damage or harbinger of damage to come), and so on.

But wait!

There's more!

What's the worst thing that can happen to a brand based on human excellence? Widespread mockery. That's what. Did I hear someone say mockery didn't affect President Trump? It helped him?

Well, look at Trump's target audience. It was a neglected abused audience and a majority audience at that. The mockery of Trump came from the people who despised that audience on principle and constantly mocked them. 

Who are the people who have started mocking Nike's ad? Nike's very customers, that's who.

So we come to:

(drum roll...)

The Payoff

I'm only going to present a few funny pictures I gleaned off the Interwebs (hat tip to Mike Renzulli for the first two) to give space for you to chime in.

So feel free to add more lampoons if you find something.

As the ad says: Just do it.

Note. There are some really lame memes out there. Post them if you like, but I took a pass.

Now on with the show.

Let's have some fun.

:) 

09.05.2018-05.48.png

09.05.2018-05.52.png

09.05.2018-05.59.png

09.05.2018-06.01.png

Here comes Godwin! :) 

09.05.2018-06.09.png

09.05.2018-06.16.png

09.05.2018-06.13.png

09.05.2018-06.23.png

Michael

No one's hitting the Castro issue, which is Kaepernick's biggest weakness.

From 2016:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article117033883.html

"And that’s exactly the moment Kaepernick shows how lost he truly is. Because in the next breath, Kaepernick, born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, explains to me, the guy born in Havana, how great Castro really is."

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Heaven's Gate guy?

Jonathan,

That's him, Marshall Applewhite.

Spaceship to the next spiritual level. It's only coming around now and God knows when it will be back.

All you have to do is kill yourself to get on. You'll see. It's beyond awesome.

Believe in something even if it means sacrificing everything.

Just do it.

Michael

Dinny's supporting Kaepernick:

VKJJiFj8_bigger.jpgMahmoud AhmadinejadVerified account @Ahmadinejad1956

The #NFL season will start this week, unfortunately once again @Kaepernick7 is not on a NFL roster. Even though he is one of the best Quarterbacks in the league. #ColinKaepernick #NFL

11:40 AM - 3 Sep 2018

21 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This one stings.

I almost didn't post it.

Yeah, that's over the line.

But for some reason I feel it would be within bounds to use this picture:

germany_sept_11_trial_1798908.jpg?qualit

I'm not into football, and whole "taking a knee" thing has never struck me as important.

"Nike will never recover from the hit to its reputation."  What was Nike thinking? 

Spoiler

-1x-1.png

Edited by william.scherk
Added graphical support

Let's see what Nike sales look like after the election season has passed and settled.

I attribute the spike to the elections, not to spitting on the anthem. The Kaepernick hire is just one way of getting at President Trump.

So oddly enough, I think the spike is because of Trump (he's been appointed to the demon archetype role for the Dems are to rally around.)

I doubt the Democrats will still be so enthused over the brand after suffer election losses.

:evil: 

Michael