Frontier War

Landon Erp

AnnRaven.jpg

Atop this page are the two lead characters of Frontier War.

The name inspires images of the old west, and while not entirely inapproriate this is not the entire case or the literal meaning of the Frontier in this story.

For centuries there have been rare instances of individuals within the human race whose existance represented huge leaps forward on the eveolutionary ladder. The rareness of these instances lead to folklore and mystical explanations. With time as the mysticism was disproved, the individuals were often believed to simply be the product of fetile imaginations.

In the present, these people and events are becoming to frequent to ignore.

Random individuals with never before seen powers and abilities are popping up all over the world... and long existing family lines with genetic predisposition to certain abilities are becoming easier to trace.

The story begins around a few of the longest running and most powerful families alive. So powerful even the empowered are not aware of what they posess.

Decisions need to be made by each of these new "super-humans." Will they choose to live peacefully among the humans, or dominate them? Will they use their abilities for production, or force. Along what lines will they choose to align themselves, and what principles will guide them.

The struggle begins as Annastasia Marie Brenner (left) and Stephanie Lucille "Raven" Mason (right) unite against the people who chose to force them into servitude as weapons against their will.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

---Landon

Well I always feel weird giving it a typical pitch, a lot of it has to do with the character's normal lives and how the emergance of people such as them affect the world as a whole, but since you asked so nicely.

I don't want to get too specific especially about Ann because a lot of the second project is about finding out just how powerful she actually is. But Raven's an open book, she's kind of like a biological animal totem. She can communicate with animals and transform either all the way or midway into animal forms and it has various effects on her personality and actions.

There are a few other characters who show up early on I can give some details on as well.

Paul (Skarr) and Thomas Maynard. Two brothers with the same power who developed everything differently.

At an early age Paul was burned in a housefire over 90% of his body but managed to survive, it turned him bitter and mean but he still has a strong sense of justice beneeth it. Thomas was a kind frienfdly young boy who was a little too shy for his own good. Their power is the manipulation of organic tissue... Thomas became a healer... Paul did not.

Thomas works as a priest, hoping his "miricles" will go unnoticed. But he has another secret that drew him to the priesthood. Skarr works as a brutal intelligance officer for the forces who imprision Ann and hundreds of people like her, he is also a traitor to that force and is trying to destroy it from within.

Alicia Brenner Ann's fraternal twin sister. All the women Ann descends dirrectly from have powers along the same axis as her but there are two parts to it. Alicia developed hers along opposite lines as Ann. She was instrumental in planning ann's capture, faking her own death to do so.

There are thousands more like her, anyone directly in that bloodline is incapable of producing a male child and only females exhibit powers. A clue here is that this family is the inspiration for the myth of the witch.

Morningstar. the cult leader behind all the major events thus far. His power is to awaken powers in individuals only mildly exhibiting... he gets to keep part of their power as his own.

Morningstar is only the latest name this man has taken. He also holds the honor of being the only man involved in both the second and third Reich. He is a powerful man with a penchant for lotus-eating... Skarr exploits this mercilessly. He has developed the strongest army the world has ever seen, he has been too distracted to exploit this fact.

Lisa. Morningstar has hundreds of children, she is one of them. She is the only non-powered one. He treats her like garbage and has let her health deteroriate right before his eyes. She ultimately does develop powers of the most ironic kind.

All she ever wanted to be was a normal sixteen year old girl and it's clear that was never an option.

Jennifer Ming (Jen) A chinese immigrant and heiress to the Wonderland Books empire (think Borders and Barnes and Noble with her mother founding it). She is a master of magnetism who graduated college with a Double major in Metalurgy and Liberal arts. She works as a Sculptor using her power (and keeping it a closely guarded secret). Her two main points of conflict are her desire to leave the control of her mother's empire to her brothers and sisters, and tension over having to hide her lesbianism to her conservative christian family.

A romance is brewing between her and another major character.

The Objectivist context on some of these characters and powers might seem pretty obvious to an Objectivist, or not. I just know where everything is going.

But I will work in one big theme I don't think I covered well enough. The ideas of militias and vigilance committess established among rational individuals. There will always be people who see some major scientific change as an opportunity to dominate other men, so it is just for a rational person to react to this as it comes and intensly... but there is no need to define your life soley by reaction to iniation of force. You fight something that needs fought and fight it on your own terms.

---Landon

I don't have much artwork posted online. These are a few story pages from the original version of Frontier War issues one and two. I got halfway through issue two before starting the story over due to some major flaws in the story's development. These are so old that they are back from when I was calling the story Hidden Society.

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/wickedlakes/Story.html

The only problem I'd warn people about with this is that I scanned these at kinkos on a budget and I didn't think I had time to shrink and or compress the files so the filesize of these is MASSIVE.

But I still think that it's worth a look.

---Landon