Hilarious Jerry Lewis Interview Not Meant to be Funny

Hilarious Jerry Lewis Not Meant to be Funny

It was almost painful watching this interview, then I started cracking up, then I couldn't stop laughing.

The interviewer, obviously someone young and inexperienced, slanted all his questions toward a subtext that could be paraphrased as: What is it like to be a freak who works when he's as old as you are? Or maybe something like: Aren't you too worn out to function? What does that feel like?

:) 

There was no gushing, not even respectful bringing up, about Jerry's massive career, his influence on Hollywood, his marathons and charity work, nothing like that. 

Jerry gave mostly monosyllabic answers. He didn't intend comedy, but this interview will go down in history as one of his funniest moments.

:)

Michael

Each answer was precisely what the question deserved.

The interview itself was a gift to the interviewer. Jerry was waiting for some good questions. He was a dam against the ignorant condescension of mostly generic and rote questions.

A proper interview required a lot of prior work, little of which was done, and appreciation, non of which was given.

--Brant

but it seems Jerry got his health issues under control--nothing wrong with that brain of his

About Jerry: My mom told me her encounter with him back in the the 50's or 60's, while staying at the Fountainbleu Hotel in Miami Beach with my Dad. She said she saw him coming down some stairs and shouted out "Hi Jerry". He looked at her and angrily said "It's Mr. Lewis". Mom never liked him after that. --J

5 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

The French think he's a comic genius.

--Brant

not a fan

Leave it to the French to confuse snarkiness with comedy.