For Those Who Understand, No Explanation is Necessary...

But if the person who slipped was immoral, laughter would be not only appropriate, it would be moral.

Actually, Michael, this is covered in the book. This is one of the socio-evolutionary functions of humor--to help weirdos correct their behavior and fit in.

The theory the authors try to advance is the incongruity (resolution) theory, which can even explain why a high-status person slipping on a banana peel makes us laugh. Contrary to Rand's opinion, it is not only uncontrollable, but you could rightfully call it moral. The reason being that you've just corrected a belief about the world ("check your premises"--laughter can be the reward for doing so). If they take themselves seriously, and we believe them, then their slip on the banana peel instantly corrects our (working-memory) belief about them, about human beings, and/or about ourselves as a human being.

Adam/Ginny, this is amazing. I thought my own recollections may have been biased or distorted by time - but do you remember Phil's story of his "therapy\" and his overthinking of his girlfriend's slightest word, while just getting up and leaving after sex without even a backward look? I am glad Ottawa was so far from NY, and though often invited the bf never wanted to go there!

It is hard not to think that an unintended consequence of ardent Objectivism was a lot of sexual problems for otherwise normal healthy young men.

I think Ginny and I should put this to a test.

What freaken test?

Carol, yes, I remember the post from poor Phil. There has to be something about Obj. that screws men up in this area. Could that with all the importance Rand put on sex, including that your choice of a partner reveals all of your dark secrets, be a bit much to handle?

Some of this nonsense is still going on. There a guy on OO who has a blog called The Leading Man. It's an dating advice column for guys. Rand's superior man raises his ugly head again. This blog is full of stuff how only men make decisions, only men determine what happens in a relationship, and a woman who opens her mouth is emasculating men. Jeez, how much does it take to emasculate a superior man?.

Adam/Ginny, this is amazing. I thought my own recollections may have been biased or distorted by time - but do you remember Phil's story of his "therapy\" and his overthinking of his girlfriend's slightest word, while just getting up and leaving after sex without even a backward look? I am glad Ottawa was so far from NY, and though often invited the bf never wanted to go there!

It is hard not to think that an unintended consequence of ardent Objectivism was a lot of sexual problems for otherwise normal healthy young men.

I think Ginny and I should put this to a test.

What freaken test?

Carol, yes, I remember the post from poor Phil. There has to be something about Obj. that screws men up in this area. Could that with all the importance Rand put on sex, including that your choice of a partner reveals all of your dark secrets, be a bit much to handle?

Some of this nonsense is still going on. There a guy on OO who has a blog called The Leading Man. It's an dating advice column for guys. Rand's superior man raises his ugly head again. This blog is full of stuff how only men make decisions, only men determine what happens in a relationship, and a woman who opens her mouth is emasculating men. Jeez, how much does it take to emasculate a superior man?.

An early victim was Barbara Branden herself. In PAR she makes it quite clear that although likeminded with NB and greatly admiring him, she never felt the sexual attraction for him that centres a marriage, and of course no amount of her self-blaming and efficient thinking and Rand's pronouncements could make her feel it. The body does not lie.