border question

blackhorse

I wonder. If the USA shared a border with Iran would we have open borders, that we more or less have now with Mexico, or would we have protective walls and armed personnel? I know that some Objectivists espouse open borders with Mexico (which I disagree with. I don't disagree with immigration, but safety NEEDS to be factored in) but how about if Iran or Libya shared a border with us instead?

I tend to worry more about drugs crossing the border than illegal immigrants who will end up building houses, washing dishes, etc.

Yup and we do need to keep an eye on nutballs trying to sneak in with an eye to driving their political agenda. Tightening the borders seems like an inevitable thing these days. Mexico seems particularly vulnerable due to their lack of infrastructure and vulnerability to bribes, etc. Canada, I would think, is not such a worry since it is not easy to get into, despite the ravings of uninformed senators who seem to have a fear mongering agenda, and very unsusceptible to bribes ( just try it sometime... - well don't - you'll end up in jail). In almost all cases of those types trying to get across the border into the US they were either fingered to the US officials by CSIS like the guy on the ferry coming from BC into Washington State, or busted in Canada by CSIS before they had the chance like the most recent attempt. The ones that were supposed to come on a ferry from NS never did, but came directly into the US. Big bro is watching rather carefully up here...

As I said, I am more concerned with criminals importing drugs and weapons than the others. Although if the terrorist threat is what puts the border inspection facilities in place to monitor the drug and crime probelm, power to it.

I wonder. If the USA shared a border with Iran would we have open borders, that we more or less have now with Mexico, or would we have protective walls and armed personnel? I know that some Objectivists espouse open borders with Mexico (which I disagree with. I don't disagree with immigration, but safety NEEDS to be factored in) but how about if Iran or Libya shared a border with us instead?

On a micro-scale; let's say that you live in a beautiful house on a few acres in a dirty, crime ridden area. Common sense would say to put up a protective gate so as not to have your property robbed or destroyed as well as to protect your family and friends from harm. Now, you still accept visitors and what not, but first you have them check in with the security guard at the front gate.

I have nothing against Mexican and other immigrants coming to America, but the world is a dangerous place and precautions are necessary. Common sense safety controls help keep out the riff-raff, and separate the wheat from the tares.

What's to stop a madman from bringing a dirty bomb across an undefended border?-hopefully it hasn't happened already;

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52018

Blackhorse; Of course precautions are necessary. Even the most open border question would want keep people out who have infectious diseases. People who are advocates of destroying the county and the people in it.