Jack White's Randian Sense of Romantic Love

Jonathan

I'm glad you've found a performer you like, and I hope he brings you years of enjoyment, but it doesn't say Rand to me either.

Can't we just like something, without sniffing around for permission from somebody who's been dead for thirty years?

Hell of a song.

--Brant

nothing "Randian" about it though--if it were it wouldn't be a "hell of a song"

love was a dish Rand served cold--to be rationally heated up or rationally denied or even walked away from--which is ironically irrational leading to catastrophic results, except in her fiction

love happens then you figure it out--you don't figure it out to let it happen because it won't happen, but you might get a relationship--good luck with that

you can figure it out to let it happen better or to decide if it best be stopped

if love is a horse and cart thing then they keep switching places over the course of its existence

I'm glad you've found a performer you like...

I didn't say anything about liking him.

...and I hope he brings you years of enjoyment, but it doesn't say Rand to me either.

I think you guys are being too literal, and perhaps thinking of Rand's stated theories of romantic love, as opposed to thinking of some of her fantasies of romantic love presented in her fiction, as well as the events of her own life in reality. I'm also getting the impression that you're interpretting the song in only one obvious way, and not seeing the multiple Truths it presents when seen from different perspectives. Maybe focus more on the attitude rather than the particulars.

Can't we just like something, without sniffing around for permission from somebody who's been dead for thirty years?

I'm an insitutional man now. For thirty years I've been asking permission. I can't squeeze a drop without say-so.

J