Ron Paul Ends Campaign For Any New Delegates...

Ron Paul ends his hunt for votes

By Stephen Dinan

-

The Washington Times

Monday, May 14, 2012

• ron-paul-still-going_live_s160x102.jpg?991312792cc578325eeebc9395ba55821d3d208d
    Enlarge Photo**FILE** Republican presidential candidate and Texas Rep. Ron Paul speaks Feb. 11, 2012, to his supporters following his loss in the Maine caucus to Mitt Romney, in Portland, Maine. (Associated Press)

DEVELOPING:

Rep. Ron Paul of Texas said Monday he will not compete in primaries in any of the states that have not yet voted — essentially confirming Mitt Romney will win the Republican presidential nomination.

Mr. Paul said he will continue to work to win delegates in states that have already voted and where the process of delegate-selection is playing out. He said that’s a way to make his voice heard at the Republican nominating convention in Tampa, Fla., in August.

“Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted,” Mr. Paul said. “Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.”

He did encourage his supporters to still turn out and vote.

His decision not to compete for new votes in other states leaves Mr. Romney as the only candidate still actively fighting for voters’ support in the 11 states still to vote. That list includes the biggest prizes on the board — Texas and California.

Mr. Paul was making his third run for president, after an earlier bid as the Libertarian Party’s nominee in 1988 and then a campaign for the Republican nomination in 2008.

He ends his active bid without having won the vote in any state, though he did end up with the most bound delegates in Maine, thanks to his delegate-maximizing strategy.

Throughout the campaign Mr. Paul has said his lower vote totals would be countered by his supporters’ enthusiasm, particularly in states that hold caucuses.

In many of those states, the initial caucuses hold a non-binding straw poll and the real delegate selection process to the Tampa convention happens at regional and state meetings. Mr. Paul’s supporters have been more likely to show up at those meetings and win the delegate slots.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/14/ron-paul-ends-his-hunt-votes/

Dear Adam,

As I reflect on our 2012 Presidential campaign, I am humbled by the supporters who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much. And I am so proud of what we have accomplished. We will not stop until we have restored what once made America the greatest country in human history.

This campaign fought hard and won electoral success that the talking heads and pundits never thought possible. But, this campaign is also about more than just the 2012 election. It has been part of a quest I began 40 years ago and that so many have joined. It is about the campaign for Liberty, which has taken a tremendous leap forward in this election and will continue to grow stronger in the future until we finally win.

Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process. We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future.

Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have. I encourage all supporters of Liberty to make sure you get to the polls and make your voices heard, particularly in the local, state, and Congressional elections, where so many defenders of Freedom are fighting and need your support.

I hope all supporters of Liberty will remain deeply involved - become delegates, win office, and take leadership positions. I will be right there with you. In the coming days, my campaign leadership will lay out to you our delegate strategy and what you can do to help, so please stay tuned.

For Liberty,

RPsig.jpg

Ron Paul

Adam,

Sounds to me that he has decided to save his money for the general election rather than spend it on campaigning in Texas and California in the beauty contest.

This also appears to be a ploy to reduce the inclination of Romney supporters to attend those meetings at which delegates are actually chosen. This will make it even easier for his own supporters to outnumber the establishment Republicans.

Clever.

It isn''t over.

gulch

Adam,

Sounds to me that he has decided to save his money for the general election rather than spend it on campaigning in Texas and California in the beauty contest.

This also appears to be a ploy to reduce the inclination of Romney supporters to attend those meetings at which delegates are actually chosen. This will make it even easier for his own supporters to outnumber the establishment Republicans.

Clever.

It isn''t over.

gulch

How much would you care to bet?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Received this in today's e-mail...

Memorandum

To: Supporters, Interested Parties

Date: May 15, 2012

Re: Paul Campaign Convention Strategy

Every day, I see firsthand how humbled and encouraged Dr. Paul is to have the enthusiastic support of so many who are committed to revitalizing our country.

Let me be very clear. Dr. Paul is NOT dropping out or suspending his campaign.

As Dr. Paul has previously stated, he is in this race all the way to the Republican National Convention in Tampa this August.

And he is deeply grateful for every resource he has been entrusted with to run an historic campaign that continues to defy all expectations.

Looking ahead, our campaign must honor that trust by maximizing our resources to ensure the greatest possible impact at the National Convention.

So while our campaign is no longer investing in the remaining primary states, we will continue to run strong programs at District and State Conventions to win more delegates and alternate delegates to the National Convention.

To this end, our campaign has several positive and realistic goals:

1) Having recently WON Maine, we believe we can win several more states.

2) We will win party leadership positions at both the state and national levels.

3) We will continue to grow our already substantial total of delegates.

We will head to Tampa with a solid group of delegates. Several hundred will be bound to Dr. Paul, and several hundred more, although bound to Governor Romney or other candidates, will be Ron Paul supporters.

Unfortunately, barring something very unforeseen, our delegate total will not be strong enough to win the nomination. Governor Romney is now within 200 delegates of securing the party’s nod. However, our delegates can still make a major impact at the National Convention and beyond.

All delegates will be able to vote on party rules and allow us to shape the process for future liberty candidates.

We are in an excellent position to make sure the Republican Party adds solid liberty issues to the GOP Platform, which our delegates will be directly positioned to approve. Our campaign is presently working to get several items up for consideration, including monetary policy reform, prohibitions on indefinite detention, and Internet freedom.

Finally, by sending a large, respectful, and professional delegation to Tampa, we will show the party and the country that not only is our movement growing and here to stay, but that the future belongs to us.

Dr. Paul will begin this new phase of the campaign this Friday by speaking and holding several events at the Minnesota State Convention. He has also recently accepted an invitation to speak at the Texas Convention, and we are busy scheduling appearances around other State Conventions later this month and into June.

As Dr. Paul stated in his message yesterday, this fight is NOT over. We will continue fighting and expanding, and “we will not stop until we have restored what once made America the greatest country in human history.”

But for Dr. Paul’s efforts in the remaining State Conventions to be successful, and to ensure we get as many Ron Paul delegates to Tampa as we can, he needs you to continue standing with him.

Along those lines, as you probably already know, the grassroots are holding a Money Bomb on Thursday, May 17. Any money raised from that Money Bomb will go toward winning delegates and finalizing our plans for Tampa.

As those plans for the National Convention come together, we will make sure all of our delegates, whether bound or unbound, get the information and aid they need.

Your support on May 17 will also help us reach more Americans with the solutions we know can restore our nation. Each person we add to our cause strengthens our movement for the critical work that awaits us beyond Tampa.

Dr. Paul, John Tate, myself, and the entire campaign staff know what incredible sacrifices have been made by each of our supporters.

Thank you for all of your hard work and your dedication to liberty. Together, we will champion Ron Paul and his message in Tampa, and we will lay the groundwork for future victories.

Am I a bad person if I find the Ron Paul phenomena to be a Big Nothing?

Lol! Sure, if you chose to be.

Essentially, it is similar to the canary in the coal mine for me. This two (2) party system is, structurally, the dominant paradigm of power that is in need of change.

Whether is can be is a significantly difficult question to address objectively.

However, I firmly believe that it has to be changed and, this attempt internally, withing the party, is a decent attempt, unsuccessful though it is.

Adam

Et al,

Perhaps you have heard earlier in this season that those who discover Ron Paul's message in its essentials become devoted not just to him in this election but to the movement he has ignited. The movement will not disappear no matter who becomes the next president. In fact if one of the other aspirants to the top job in America succeeds in attaining that position, that will just cause Ron Paul supporters to become more energetic in recruiting others to the cause of liberty.

What you are witnessing is the start of the Second American Revolution which takes its vision from that of those Founders who hoped to create a government which would never become a tyranny. They were fighting for their own freedom and the freedom of their children and grandchildren as well as future generations. They set out to constrain the powers of the central government they were making over the sovereign states. They were not completely successful as we are experiencing . There were faults which enabled those who shared a different vision which required a more powerful government beyond the granted powers.

The struggle to change the course of our country is intellectual and philosophical and Objectivists ought to see that and join the movement so they might influence it as only Ayn Rand's fundamental ideas and principles can.

If you value your own freedom and have not resigned yourself to submission to the dictatorial elements of coercion of our overlords join with us and help to bring the day of our earthly salvation closer.

http://youtu.be/GuTXPWec_LU

Am I a bad person if I find the Ron Paul phenomena to be a Big Nothing?

No, but you are for using "phenomena" as singular. Where is JR when he's needed properly to decry the depths of ignorance displayed?

Ellen

Ellen:

1. I accept your criticism of my use of the term "phenomena". I will try to be a better person on that front.

2. I do not, however, accept the wording of your second sentence above, and I too would call on JR for a ruling on your maladroit use of the English language. Specifically, the wording of your second sentence reveals that you have either been careless (and possibly ignorant), or you have gone too far above the call of duty in an ill-advised attempt to avoid the splitting of an infinitive.

3. In light of #2 above, and while we await a ruling from JR, I hereby demand that you listen to each audio tape of Dr. Leonard Peikoff's Principles of Grammar, from start to finish. Whether you take copious notes of these lectures is entirely up to you.**

**If you need to borrow my set, I am sure we can work that out, but I warn you that I no longer have a cassette player handy.

2. I do not, however, accept the wording of your second sentence above, and I too would call on JR for a ruling on your maladroit use of the English language. Specifically, the wording of your second sentence reveals that you have either been careless (and possibly ignorant), or you have gone too far above the call of duty in an ill-advised attempt to avoid the splitting of an infinitive.

When I read the first sentence of that paragraph, I thought that what you were going to call "maladroit" was my saying "ignorance" instead of "perfidy" or some other morals-relevant charge. Of course, one could argue, and I would, that there are depths of ignorance which are morally culpable. However, I wished afterward that I'd said "perfidy."

As to the infinitive non-splitting, however, I like it better as written in that sentence, though I have no resistance to the splitting of infinitives and often prefer my infinitives to be boldly split.

3. In light of #2 above, and while we await a ruling from JR, I hereby demand that you listen to each audio tape of Dr. Leonard Peikoff's Principles of Grammar, from start to finish.

Not that!!! Please don't subject me to listening to Peikoff! Surely you could find it in your heart to suggest a lesser punishment than that!

Piteously (as JR has sometimes been known to sign),

Ellen