The accents of the 5 boroughs of NYC -- a how to by a native

Funny indeed. I left Brooklyn in 1977 and headed to Calif.

I returned for a visit in 2005. Everything looked run down, even the people.

Brant wrote:

They forgot the East River.

End quote

Oh yeah. They forgot the sampans on the river. Some days it looks like Hong Kong Harbor – industries, restaurants, gambling joints, and house boats all crowded together to create a foot bridge from the farthest out boat to the island. The East River Rats say “Arrrr!”

I haven’t listened to the tape yet, but my sister in law is from Lon Gighland. Keep going east on Long Island and you get into the Hamptons with speech patterns resembling those of Hollywood.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

They forgot the sampans on the river. Some days it looks like Hong Kong Harbor – industries, restaurants, gambling joints, and house boats all crowded together to create a foot bridge from the farthest out boat to the island.

This image that you advance is patently untrue. It never looks anything like that and I am a native New Yorker.

I traverse that river several times a week. Some of my friends traverse it daily. None of them would agree with this statement.

Adam

Brant wrote:

End quote

Oh yeah. They forgot the sampans on the river. Some days it looks like Hong Kong Harbor – industries, restaurants, gambling joints, and house boats all crowded together to create a foot bridge from the farthest out boat to the island. The East River Rats say “Arrrr!”

Where did you ever get that idea?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Brant wrote:

End quote

Ba'al Chatzaf

From his bigot box. It seems to be standard issue on the Maryland peninsula.

Brant wrote:

end quote

I responded, “Oh yeah. They forgot the sampans on the river. Some days it looks like Hong Kong Harbor . . .”

Ba'al Chatzaf asked me:

end quote

This thread is titled, “The accents of the 5 boroughs of NYC” and The East River is not a borough, so I decided to go along with Brant’s joke and populate The East River so that it “seemed like” a borough. The most obvious floating city I could think of was Hong Kong, the one I mentioned, so I likened it to that.

Now, back to business.

As everyone knows The East River Borough accent is likened to a cross between Louisiana Creole where the denizens live on stilt houses and Venice, Italy where the houses float or are anchored to the bottom, and these Italians differ from Rome’s manner of speaking by rolling their “R’s.” . . .

Peter

Adam wrote about where I get my thoughts:

end quote

Adam, over the years you have said you were a veteran, an anarchist, not an anarchist, marched with Martin Luther King, been a teacher, been a campaign manager, have a business and a payroll to meet, had three students killed in the freedom marches, and the bull shit just keeps marching on. Adam, which is an alias, why don’t you use your real name? You know the one that appears on your various indictments?

Michael has stated you should be given a chance, but what other scams are you hatching to bilk or hoodwink honest people?

Peter

Adam wrote about where I get my thoughts:

end quote

"...veteran; marched with Martin Luther King, been a campaign manager, have a business and a payroll to meet, had three students killed in the freedom marches."

Peter:

1) I have never said I was a veteran;

2) I have never said I "...marched with Martin Luther King Jr.".;

3) I was a student at the college when Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman and James Cheney were killed in Mississippi. At least one of them went to the same college I went to in 1964;

4) I owned a business for over ten years that had a payroll of twelve people (12);

5) I have been a field campaign manager in five plus (5+) campaigns;

Now, would you care to put these statements to a test?

We could both put up a dollar amount that we could agree to. We could provide the money to be held by Michael.

Then I could provide the proof to both yourself and Michael and he can send the money to me.

Adam

We could both put up a dollar amount that we could agree to. We could provide the money to be held by Michael.

Then I could provide the proof to both yourself and Michael and he can send the money to me.

Adam

Michael can make money on the float.

--Brant

or 10%, whichever is more

I don't remember a previous time an obvious joke--except to Adam and Ba'al, it seems--would subsume a flame war on OL. :huh:

--Brant

I'm surprised by Adam, not Bob

Adam beat me to 9500 posts, darn it!

lol, that is because I have a penchant for childish jokes and retorts.

As to a "flame war," one would have to have a worthy opponent for a war, this is a childish skirmish.

Adam

Michael can make money on the float.

--Brant

or 10%, whichever is more

excellent idea Brant, we would both have to put up an extra 5% to 10% for the "vig," this is a free market capitalist, anarcho-capitalist and even objectivist solution.

Dear Allen Cappellazzi a.k.a., Adam Cappellazzi a.k.a., Adam Selene.

Can we allegedly meet at a Forest Hills, Queens, restaurant where you will give me alleged proof of your accomplishments signed by Justice Charles Thomas with the correct index numbers on the documents? We could both then put up a dollar amount that we could agree to. We could provide the money to be held by someone who must flash their driver’s license for verification. Then I could come back after verification or lack thereof and get all my money from the guy who flashed his driver’s license. Sounds like a good plan. Olive Garden ok with you? Or maybe Lombardi’s?

Peter

Dear Allen Cappellazzi a.k.a., Adam Cappellazzi a.k.a., Adam Selene.

Can we allegedly meet at a Forest Hills, Queens, restaurant where you will give me alleged proof of your accomplishments signed by Justice Charles Thomas with the correct index numbers on the documents? We could both then put up a dollar amount that we could agree to. We could provide the money to be held by someone who must flash their driver’s license for verification. Then I could come back after verification or lack thereof and get all my money from the guy who flashed his driver’s license. Sounds like a good plan. Olive Garden ok with you? Or maybe Lombardi’s?

Peter

Peter:

Not acceptable because as we both know, they are facts as they appeared in the press.

Adam

Brant wrote:

Peter defaults into viciousness.

end quote

Ahhh. I’m a teddy bear, private eye from Da Bronx. Lying is vicious. Deceit is vicious. A crook is a crook no matter what Burrow he hides in. "The accents of the 5 boroughs of NYC -- or how to by a native". Now that title is vicious. So, George, let me misunderstand some more like Brant, the citizens of New York are “natives.” What does that conjure up? Grass skirts? Brown skins? Primitive? Bones in their noses? Well, let me pretend to take offense. How dare you! Now everybody pile on for some fun.

Peter

Brant wrote:

Peter defaults into viciousness.

end quote

Ahhh. I’m a teddy bear, private eye from Da Bronx. Lying is vicious. Deceit is vicious. A crook is a crook no matter what Burrow he hides in. "The accents of the 5 boroughs of NYC -- or how to by a native". Now that title is vicious. So, George, let me misunderstand some more like Brant, the citizens of New York are “natives.” What does that conjure up? Grass skirts? Brown skins? Primitive? Bones in their noses? Well, let me pretend to take offense. How dare you! Now everybody pile on for some fun.

Peter

You deserve to have fun, Peter. Even a poor Taylor is entitled to some happiness.

Carol

watching Fiddler on the Roof again.

Carol wrote in rapport:

You deserve to have fun, Peter. Even a poor Taylor is entitled to some happiness . . . watching Fiddler on the Roof again.

end quote

If I was a rich man, all day long I would yadda yadda do.

Thank you Carol

Yadda yadda do . . . huh, what? Oh yeah. Well the little kicker gets even smaller. Baltimore lost. Bow your heads in sympathy.

Ah, Edgar. The Ravens failed you.

It was many and many a year ago,

In a kingdom by the sea

That a maiden there lived whom you may know

By the name of Annabel Lee;

And this maiden she lived with no other thought

Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,

In this kingdom by the sea;

But we loved with a love that was more than love-

I and my Annabel Lee;

With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven