NFL - 2012 - It's Playoff Time - Let's get ready to rumble...!

Selene

Was Tim Tebow’s game-winning touchdown illegal?

Photo in the link below

http://sports.yahoo....-163812959.html

Only six players are set on the line of scrimmage. (NFL.com)

A review of the Denver Broncos' pre-snap formation on the game-winning touchdown pass from Tim Tebow to Demaryius Thomas suggests that the play could have been ruled illegal.

Only six Denver Broncos players were lined up on the line of scrimmage before the snap. NFL rules say that a team must have seven or more players on the line for a snap to be legal. As the picture above shows, tight end Dante Rosario was well behind his teammates.

The formation eventually caught the eye of current Fox analyst and former NFL Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira. He dismissed any suggestion that the play should have been whistled dead. "Watch on any Sunday," he tweeted. "This is a good formation compared to many. They are not technical with this."

In other words, the "seven men on the line" is a rule on the books but one that doesn't require a tape measure and straight edge to determine if every player is precisely on the line of scrimmage. If seven guys are close to line and set, Pereira implies, then the formation is fine. The seven Broncos were close to the line and set, so there was nothing to call.

[Related: Pittsburgh mayor salutes Tim Tebow to settle bet]

This seems to go against all other NFL rule enforcements, which always say that the letter of the law is far more important than the spirit of it. Still, when Pereira speaks, it's wise to listen.

That being said, I went back and looked at tape from every touchdown scored during wild-card weekend and didn't see a single formation in which the scoring team wasn't set with at least seven guys on the line of scrimmage. In this comprehensive highlight package of Bengals-Texans, there's only one play (at the 4:10 mark) that has a similar sloppy formation. This neither confirms nor contradicts Pereira's point, it only shows that "illegal" sets aren't exactly a pox on the NFL.

Should Tebow's touchdown have counted? Absolutely. It isn't a penalty if you don't get caught.

Update: NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says the formation was legal. "This is a legal formation," he told NFL.com. "This should not have been flagged." It's not exactly an in-depth rules explanation, but it's definitive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a rule in the NFL rulebook that touchdowns are not to be achieved through prayer. (I distinctly saw God smite down one of the cornerbacks on that play.)

Okay time to pick the games and the scores for this weekend.

James can amend his picks of post # 23 above which were:

New England 41

Denver 20

Baltimore 23

Houston 3

Green Bay 45

New York 17

San Francisco 24

New Orleans 20

=========================================

Here are the point spreads and the Over/under:

New Orleans Saints at San Francisco 49ers

Saints - 3 1/2 Over/under 47 1/2 4:30 pm EST Sat.

Denver Broncos at New England Patriots

New England -13 !/2 Over/under 50 1/2 8:00 pm EST Sat.

Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore - 7 1/2 [also seen it @ -9] Over/under 36 1:00 pm EST Sun.

New York Giants at Green Bay Packers

Green Bay - 7 1/2 Over/under 52 1/2 4:30 pm EST Sun.

New Orleans @ San Francisco

Very difficult game to predict, but I think the Saints will finally win a play-off game on the road. Brees and Payton were stung badly last year, and will not let it happen again. It will come down to who can make the big play in the closing minutes. Brees will prevail.

Saints 31, 49ers 28.

Denver @ New England

It could be interesting for the first three quarters, but the Patriots are not as beat-up as the Steelers and the Broncos are playing in cold weather on the road. Tebow Magic ends here. Patriots may run the score up late when Denver realizes they're beaten.

Patriots 42, Broncos 20.

> Tebow Magic ends here.

Problem is the Patriots have a bad defense and Tebow mixes up his offense.

So the Broncos win a close one.

Mr. Coates:

For your pick to be considered, you need to pick both games and the scores.

Adam

referee pro tem

In that case, I will forfeit all prize money.

Mr. Coates:

Actually, just deleting your post would be sufficient compliance with the voluntary rules we are using to participate in this thread.

Adam

flag poised in hand...

In the first game, I am definitely taking the 3 1/2 points and San Francisco and the under.

Can't decide whether it will be S.F. 24 N.O. 20 or S.F. 21 N.O. 20 ...might as well go with the extra field goal. SF is 80.9 in FG % vs 77.2 and this is outdoors. Sorry James, but we do agree on this one lol.

I hate to jinx Tebow by going with him this week, but what the hell, might as well take the leap of faith on this one.

I will take the 13 1/2 points and the over.

And just as a reverse jinx negation hear is the anti-Tebow website: http://tebowhaters.com/

Denver 31

New England 30

And if New England wins, it should not be by 13 1/2 points.

> Actually, just deleting your post would be sufficient compliance with the voluntary rules we are using to participate in this thread.

Mr. S, just deleting -your- above post would also be in compliance with the rules.

(Also, just FYI, note that New Orleans will win in the other contest today.)

> Actually, just deleting your post would be sufficient compliance with the voluntary rules we are using to participate in this thread.

Mr. S, just deleting -your- above post would also be in compliance with the rules.

(Also, just FYI, note that New Orleans will win in the other contest today.)

Soooo predictable ...

chj11026.jpg

42-16673933.jpg

42-16674294.jpg

CB035376.jpg

Well, James and I had the four (4) point differential on the nose and the winner.

Dennis had the over, but lost the points and the winner.

Now on to N. England which is already up 7-0 after two (2) minutes...scary QB Brady and oh those tight ends!!

Well, I think it is time for Tebow to fall back and save the equipment!

35-7 at half time...I knew I would jinx him lol.

Dennis and James both will have the winner and the points and the over.

I will have to be content with the over, since I will not have the winner or the points!

Unless of course ...nah, that would involve actual literal intervention by God.

Adam

Houston Texans at Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore - 7 1/2 [also seen it @ -9] Over/under 36 1:00 pm EST Sun.

New York Giants at Green Bay Packers

Green Bay - 7 1/2 Over/under 52 1/2 53 4:30 pm EST Sun. the other three lines are the same except for the Over/under which is now in red.

The Las Vegas Line according to the Yahoo Sports page, has changed to 53 1/2 and -9

Baltimore 17

Houston 16 + 9 and the under

NYG 31 +9 and the over - sorry cannot pick against my team, but this could be a great game!

GB 28

The S.F. New Orleans game was one of the greatest playoff games that I have ever scene!

Including the final play and the emotional beauty of receiver Vernon Davis and coach Harbaugh...there is crying in football when it is tears of pure competitive joy!

You could see the playing ghost of Joe Montana grinning in the end zone!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/vernon-davis-cries-tears-joy-game-winning-touchdown-025511148.html

Well, I got a 3-3 on that game!

Congratulations to Peter.

He, being a rural aristocratic lord, did not deem us plebeian folks on this thread worthy of providing us with his wise picks.

However, despite his effete attitude, the urban slum team coming from Baltimore harbor does advance. Now, assuming their collection of thugs, murderers and other city slugs can keep themselves from being incarcerated between now and next week, they will journey up North to do battle with the Brady bunch.

Now, please join us in prayer for a big Blue victory in Green Bay!

Well, I got a 3-3 on that game!

Congratulations to Peter.

He, being a rural aristocratic lord, did not deem us plebeian folks on this thread worthy of providing us with his wise picks.

However, despite his effete attitude, the urban slum team coming from Baltimore harbor does advance. Now, assuming their collection of thugs, murderers and other city slugs can keep themselves from being incarcerated between now and next week, they will journey up North to do battle with the Brady bunch.

Now, please join us in prayer for a big Blue victory in Green Bay!

I lost by the spread in the Ravens/Texans game. Dang! The Patriots/ Ravens game will be entertaining, clearly the best 2 teams in the AFC. Hope Green Bay wins, we'll see shortly.

Jim

James:

I have watched football as a fanatic for about 57 years since I was eight (8) and been a Giant fanatic for all those years. I also played for five (5) years in an unlimited NY City money league which was tantamount to being at war with no bullets!

However, I have rarely seen as stupid a decision by the Packer coach as calling that time out and then allowing the run on the next play to get out of bounds!

WTF!

James:

I have watched football as a fanatic for about 57 years since I was eight (8) and been a Giant fanatic for all those years. I also played for five (5) years in an unlimited NY City money league which was tantamount to being at war with no bullets!

However, I have rarely seen as stupid a decision by the Packer coach as calling that time out and then allowing the run on the next play to get out of bounds!

WTF!

It's a new generation of coaches. You would never see this under Landry or Noll. Earlier in the season Jason Garrett even iced his own kicker.

Jim

The Packers/Giants game is reminiscent of the 2007 Super Bowl. This is why the best offenses need at least some running game. You can't just let a defensive line pin their ears back and go after the quarterback. Eventually you will run into a really good line like the Giants and get your quarterback killed.

Jim

James:

I just got off the phone with the Wisconsin State Police and made an intricate missing persons report on the:

1) brains of the Green Bay coaching staff;

2) offensive receivers of the entire Green Bay Packer team; and

3) real referees and not the amateurs that made three (3) horrifically bad calls for the Green Bay Packers and could have cost the Giants the game;

Adam

Post script:

As a coach and as a player, I have always believed that when you get bad calls by bad referees, you have to decide to play so well that even they cannot steal a game from you! This is what I always told myself, my teammates and any team that I have coached. No bitching, just dig in and play

your best.