NFL - 2012 - It's Playoff Time - Let's get ready to rumble...!

Selene

Saturday Games and Odds - Make your picks! Saturday Picks must be in by 3 PM EST

Cincinnati Bengals at Houston Texans

4:30 pm EST Houston -4 Over/under 38

Detroit Lions at New Orleans Saints

8:00 pm EST Saints -11 Over/under 60

Sunday Games and Odds - Make your picks! Sunday Picks must be in by 12 PM EST

Atlanta Falcons at New York Giants

1:00 pm EST NY Giants -3 Over/under 47 1/2

Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos

4:30 pm EST - Will God be making any bets? Steelers -9 Over/under 33 1/2 This could be the upset game of the weekend because of the injuries to the Steelers and the fact that their offense has failed to score well in the last few weeks. If Denver's excellent defense shows up they should cover and might outright win the game.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

Here are my predictions. I have a solid record as one of the worst football prognosticators ever. Never, ever bet money based on my advice. I certainly don't.

(1) Cincinnati @ Houston (favored by 3 or 4)

This is a difficult one to pick because the teams seem evenly matched. Both have offensive weapons. The Bengals have the passing tandem of Andy Dalton and A.J. Green, and the Texans have (ex-Vol) running back Arian Foster. Unfortunately for the Texans, though, QB T.J. Yates has a sore shoulder. Another factor is that the Bengals are a bad weather team, but the game will be in a domed stadium.

This one is a coin flip, so I’ll go with the home team. Houston’s fans have never seen the Texans in the playoffs before, and will work themselves into a wildly noisy indoor frenzy. Houston wins.

(2) Detroit @ New Orleans (favored by 11)

Could be an offensive shoot-out: Drew Brees dueling with Matthew Stafford, both of whom have had fantastic seasons throwing the ball. I have to go with Brees and the Saints, here. I suspect they may eventually knock off the Packers and win the Super Bowl. Saints win.

(3) Atlanta @ New York Giants (favored by 3)

Eli Manning had his best season, throwing for nearly 5,000 yards with 29 TDs vs. only 16 interceptions. And the Giants are playing at home. I suspect it will be a see-saw battle for three quarters, but the Giants will get some breathing room in the fourth quarter and pull away for a victory. Giants win.

(4) Pittsburgh (favored by 8) @ Denver

This game reminds me of last years game when New Orleans went to Seattle and got thoroughly thrashed. Pittsburgh is reeling from injuries and may think they just have to show up to beat a team that backed into the playoffs. The Broncos have the league’s best running game but the Steelers have one of the best defenses.

The one factor that could tip the game Denver’s way is the Steelers’ tendency toward turning the ball over. And of course Roethlesberger is banged up. If Denver’s running game can keep the game close into the fourth quarter, Tebow’s antics and the fan frenzy could make it a fun game to watch. In fact, because of the home field factor, I suspect Denver will win. Denver wins (and gets their butt kicked next week).

Dennis:

I have my moments also.

The Houston game is a close betting game. Houston 21 Cincinnati 17 is my pick which is exactly on the point spread and Over/under

The Saints Detroit game line changed to -10 1/2 Saints and 59 1/2 Over/under which I like.

Saints 35 Detroit 24 and the under - I think most folks are expecting a very high scoring game and the money will be on the Over.

So we agree.

Care to take a shot at the scores?

I will pick tomorrow's games tomorrow.

Adam

Adam,

Sounds like you are more of a betting man than I am. I manage to find plenty of ways to waste my money without supporting my local bookie.

I’ve never made predictions on scores, but what the heck, I’ll take a shot. The Houston/Cincinnati game already started, so I’m cheating. It looks like it’s going to be another offensive shoot-out at this point. My guess: Texans 35, Bengals 31.

The late game: Saints 41, Lions 38.

Both games look to be very entertaining with plenty of drama in the fourth quarter, which is all I really care about.

Adam,

Sounds like you are more of a betting man than I am. I manage to find plenty of ways to waste my money without supporting my local bookie.

I’ve never made predictions on scores, but what the heck, I’ll take a shot. The Houston/Cincinnati game already started, so I’m cheating. It looks like it’s going to be another offensive shoot-out at this point. My guess: Texans 35, Bengals 31.

The late game: Saints 41, Lions 38.

Both games look to be very entertaining with plenty of drama in the fourth quarter, which is all I really care about.

Dennis:

Lol. Actually, I am not a "betting" man, but the point spreads and betting lines are ways of equalizing the contests.

I have placed bets and win most of them, but I rarely bet as a rule.

Interesting game so far with a great defensive play by 99 which may be the decisive play of the game. Turnovers that result in instant points in a close playoff game are usually decisive!

Adam

Very nice Dennis. You got the over right and the spread.

I get the spread, but I did not get the over.

Dennis 2

Adam 1

Going into the second game.

At this point the second game looks to be a tighter contest. Detroit and Matthew Stafford seem to be ready for whatever the Saints throw at them, and are on top 14-7 midway through the second quarter. The Saints are in for a fight.

Detroit-New Orleans game effectively decided with 9:43 left in the fourth quarter when Matthew Stafford, under pressure, badly underthrew his receiver and the pass was picked off by Jabari Greer. Lions were already down by 10 at that point.

A few plays later, Brees threw another TD bomb to a wide open receiver. Game over.

Stafford looked sharp early in the game but I guess the Saints' pressure got to him in the second half. Greer picked off another pass with under 5 minutes remaining.

Dennis: You got the over 59 1/2, but did not get the spread since the Saints covered the -11.

You almost hit the Saints point total on the nose with your 41! So you were 1-1 and end up

3-1 for the day.

I got the point spread, but lost the under! So I ended up at 2-2 for the day!

Adam

Adam,

Pure luck, I can assure you. This will become more evident tomorrow, I suspect.

I never would guessed that Detroit would look so befuddled in the second half. I thought it would be a much closer game. Credit the Saints' coaching staff for their halftime adjustments. Whenever an offense goes from unstoppable in the first half to wildly erratic in the second half, I think you have to pay tribute to the coaching.

Giants 31, Falcons 21

Broncos 17, Steelers 16

Was that dope gear?Icon___PhantomPanther_Dunce_by_phantompanther.gif

Yes, you have to be nuts to pick football games, but it provides relief from watching the decline of America before your own eyes!

The line on the Giants Falcon game is NY -3 and the Over/under is 47 1/2

New York Giants 31 Atlanta 27 this one may actually go to over time just to torment us Giant fans and end up 27-24 or 31-28!

Tebow is terminated today. The line is Steelers -8 and the Over/under is 34.

Even though Rush Limbaugh, a Steeler fan, thought that this could be the upset of the day because the Steelers are banged up, have had trouble scoring recently and, as he postulated that, if the Denver defense shows up, this could be the upset.special.

At any rate, my pick is Pittsburgh 31 Denver 9. A blowout in the snow!

Adam

I think you can relax, Adam. Under five minutes to go, and the Giants are up 24-2.

I think Green Bay has good reason for concern.

Dennis:

I would never have expected the level of performance that they put forth today. The defensive line was stunning in its' run defence. Additionally, the Atlanta decision to go for that first 4th down rather than the field goal was nothing short of stupid. 7-5 turns the entire perspective of the next two series around.

A sports broadcaster here in NY on WFAN which is a 24 hour sports AM sports channel, only in NY, predicted a final score of 31-3

I am sure he will be strutting for the next week.

With the Giant tight end Ballard back, and Manningham healthy, it gives Manning four (4) excellent receivers going into next week.

Additionally, the Giant offensive line is, finally, coming together, in terms of its' run blocking schemes. They pulled their strong side [right side] tackle and guard to open up weak side off tackle holes which they had not been able to effectively run for quite a while.

Still, it is Lambeau, and they are the defending champs, but it could be a really competitive game!

Adam

Congrats to you, Eli and the Giants, Adam! Great game!

If Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw can give Eli that much of a running game next week, it will be one helluva game. Can't wait!

Thanks Dennis.

I am having a lot of trouble watching the Denver Steeler game because of the egg dripping from my forehead that is obscuring Tebow's domination of the game so far!

Adam

And he got it! Denver wins! I believe!

Dennis:

I have to say this was one of the great performances under pressure that I have seen. He is a true leader.

Quite a day!

All I could hear in the back of my mind after my dumb pick was ...

YE OF LITTLE FAITH...!

Previous Eddie Royal #19 Of The Denver Broncos Gets… 76 of 100 Tim Tebow #15 Of The Denver Broncos Celebra… Next

c61372b33f46c8e6c4a972d7b4cff80f-getty-136577697.jpg

Adam

That was impressive! Tebow did it when it counted. 4 long strikes down the field and a rushing touchdown to decimate the #1 defense. This was also a coaching problem. The Steelers defensive brain trust needed to make an adjustment. You don't just continue to let your corners get roasted in man-to-man coverage. Ben Roethlisberger also showed a lot of guts. Great game all around. Next week: reality. Tebow has to match wits with Bill Belichick and outduel Tom Brady. Still, he more than redeemed himself with this one game.

Jim

And he got it! Denver wins! I believe!

Dennis:

I have to say this was one of the great performances under pressure that I have seen. He is a true leader.

Quite a day!

All I could hear in the back of my mind after my dumb pick was ...

YE OF LITTLE FAITH...!

Adam

You were not alone. All of the Fox 'expert' commentators--Bradshaw, Howie, Caliendo, Johnson, Strahan--picked the Steelers.

If anyone had predicted Tebow would throw for 316 yards and score 3 touchdowns--including the 80 yard game winning pass to Demaryius Thomas in overtime--he would have been laughed out of town.

Tim Tebow vs the world! (Or at least the oddsmakers) It turned out to be the best game of the week-end.

If he wins next week against New England, I will start going to church again. fingerscrossed.gif

Picks for next week:

New England 41

Denver 20

Baltimore 23

Houston 3

Green Bay 45

New York 17

San Francisco 24

New Orleans 20

The one hard to pick game next week is the SF New Orleans game. I think SF's balanced offensive attack will chew up the clock and keep Brees on the sidelines.

Jim

Subject: Overachievers, Under-Puppies, Heroes, and Role Models**

> If he wins next week against New England, I will start going to church again. [Dennis]

Watching a game like yesterday's -is- going to church.

I don't follow football much, but was rooting for Tebow and I finally figured out why: I love it when a determined athlete makes it in the big time and defies the foolish 'experts' who can't measure heart or intangibles with their conventional, physicalistic ideas of what skills are needed. Unconventional throwing style and can't play in the pocket? So he uses the run game, the long bomb, and runs it himself.

Have to be over 6'2" to play quarterback in the pros, otherwise you can't see your receivers down the field over the line? Take that Doug Flutie -both in the Canadian pros and in the NFL.

There was a movie this year about a sport I understand even less than football in which Brad Pitt plays the manager of an Oakland Athletics team with no money to hire stars, so they took players no one else wanted but with one skill ("he can't hit home runs, but he gets on base") who could be molded into a team.

J.J. Barea is an undrafted, unknown, too short guard who finally won a bench-warming spot with the Dallas Mavericks as their "second backup" point guard. He had endless energy in last year's championship and somehow always got to the basket during the NBA Finals and who the superstar LeBron James tired out futilely trying to guard in the fourth quarter. The even shorter ("too short to play in the NBA") Spud Webb won the NBA Slam Dunk championship over a lot of near-seven footers.

He's 5' 7".

**I gave a well-received TAS summer conference talk called "Heroes and Role Models" a few years back.

> If he wins next week against New England, I will start going to church again. [Dennis]

Watching a game like yesterday's -is- going to church.

I don't follow football much, but was rooting for Tebow and I finally figured out why: I love it when a determined athlete makes it in the big time and defies the foolish 'experts' who can't measure heart or intangibles with their conventional, physicalistic ideas of what skills are needed. Unconventional throwing style and can't play in the pocket? So he uses the run game, the long bomb, and runs it himself.

Have to be over 6'2" to play quarterback in the pros, otherwise you can't see your receivers down the field over the line? Take that Doug Flutie -both in the Canadian pros and in the NFL.

I would not describe myself as a Tebow fan, but my overall opinion of the man improved drastically after his performance yesterday. After all the abuse he has taken in the media and 3 losses (and subpar performances) in a row, he rose to the occasion and gave his best performance yet as a pro against a very tough defense. The Steelers dared him to throw the ball—and he did, including an 80 yard TD pass in OT to win the game. That took a ton of courage and inner strength, even though he would probably give all the credit to the Almighty.

A lot of people would have packed it in under that kind of pressure. He didn’t. On the sidelines, instead of kneeling, he was yelling. You could see his intensity and his determination as he rallied his teammates. He showed true leadership as well as athletic skill.

Religious nut or not, he deserves admiration for standing tall in the face of adversity and giving it all he’s got. And prevailing “against all odds.”