Scientific Literacy? You Probably Won't Beat Me

A coda to my dropping-out-of-school story....

When I came home early, after that fateful encounter with the dean/wrestling coach, and told my mother -- still garbed in her filthy robe at 1 p.m., and with a jug of Gallo wine by her side -- that I had quit school, she (a former RN) became convinced that I had serious psychological problems. My mother subsequently insisted that I seek psychological counseling. She set up an appointment with some female psychologist. I resisted at first, but finally agreed. After a twenty-minute session with the lady, we left her office so she could talk to my mother.

I have never forgotten, nor will I ever forget, what that woman said to my mother -- and I quote exactly: "Mrs. Smith, there is nothing wrong with George. He just hates school."

If that woman is still alive, I hereby offer my eternal thanks.

Ghs

I do too. I don't think there are many who have autodidacticed themselves into a gross academic competency as you have done.

--Brant

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you guessed in the right direction...or do you maybe not know the definition of a "Newton" and just guessed 2 because of 200 grams in the problem?

No, I know what a Newton is, and I had narrowed my guess down to the first two options before settling on the second.

J

OK, so m-a-y-b-e this will help you "see" the math.

Repeating the question and options:

22) If you were to apply a net force of one Newton on a 200 gram object, what would be the acceleration of the object?

5 meters per second squared

2 meters per second squared

0.2 meter per second squared

50 meters per second squared

The operative formula for answering the question is Newton's 2nd Law of Motion:

F=ma

You know the definition of one Newton, viz., the net force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

So...

One Newton = 1000 (grams) x 1 (meter per second squared) = 200 (grams) x ? (meter per second squared)

Shortening it:

1000 x 1 = 200 x ?

(I'm puzzled by your describing yourself as terrible at math, since don't you use rough-and-ready math on a standard basis sizing photographs and such like chores? Is it just that algebra never clicked with you?)

Ellen

(I'm puzzled by your describing yourself as terrible at math, since don't you use rough-and-ready math on a standard basis sizing photographs and such like chores? Is it just that algebra never clicked with you?)

Prior to imaging going digital, I used a standard photographer's/designer's proportional scale for sizing photos. After using it for years, I eventually got good enough at eyeballing that I no longer needed the scale. These days, the graphics applications do all of that annoying math stuff automatically.

J