One true philosophy or not

john42t

My dog has emotions too. Are its emotions "automatic results of value-judgemnts integrated by its subconscious? Is the dog's mind 'subconsciously judging itself' when the animal expresses joy at being fed and taken for a walk?

As for man's emotional and cognitive mechanisms being tabula rasa at birth, research contradicts this:

Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10531533

"At birth" is probably to read as "at the start", whenever exactly that is.

As to the dog, yes. You're strict but fair to your dog, feed it well and show that you appreciate it. The dog judges you to be a highly valuable pillar in his life. The subconscious will emit the corresponding feelings of trust and love when you are there or the dog contemplates you (which I believe they are capable of).

If your behavior to the dog is unpredictable, your punishments and rewards handed out irrationally and the dog is often starving or locked up alone for a long time, the dog's subconscious will be programmed with resentment for you (and probably also distrust of other humans).

It's no different from what happens in the human case. The only difference is that the value judgements of human beings are much more complex, as man's reliance on reason is so much greater.

I have a funny example for this in cats: My girlfriend's mother's cat vet advised her to pick her up a few days after an unpleasent treatment, rather than right away. That way, the cat wouldn't link that treatment to her owner and the object of resentment would remain the vet alone.

If the cat was more rational, she would know who she really ought to be angry with! :smile:

Without any mind, no matter how simple, the cat could neither love nor hate. The very minimum is the identification - who-hooo, Randroid alert :smile: - of anything that could be the subject of love and hate.

Man, dogs, cats and chimps all have the same "depth" of emotion/feelings. It is just that humans make a better job of determining what they are - with reason.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like saying: Let's assume that there is a God who will punish you unless you sacrifice your son, would it then not be rational to comply?

The answer is yes. But meaningless.

It is not meaningless in societies where belief in a punishing god is still prevalent. Suppose you and I had been born into some rigid theocracy, we would in all likelihood believe it too and act accordingly.

I can't say how often I feel grateful for having been born into a society allowing people to be free from religious constraints.

I would interest me whether one can at least agree on certain ethical principles universally valid for our current civilized society?

I'm looking for statements to which it is difficult to object, like "It is of high ethical value not to inflict unnecessary suffering onto others". Would such 'pathocentric ethics' serve at least as a fundament?

This is the core of our differences. I severely reject such a fundament and the fact that they have been universal to most societies is the reason why it took mankind so long to get where we are.

But avoiding unnecessary suffering has not been universal to most societies. Just think of how long e. g. slavery was widespread (and still exists in some societies in the third world).

This core premise, the "do-gooder" premise if you will, is what I fear more than any religious nuttery.

Why do you fear it? What 'evil' can result from an ethics which holds the avoidance of unnecessary suffering as a high value?

As for religious nuttery, isn't this far more dangerous?

My dog has emotions too. Are its emotions "automatic results of value-judgemnts integrated by its subconscious? Is the dog's mind 'subconsciously judging itself' when the animal expresses joy at being fed and taken for a walk?

As for man's emotional and cognitive mechanisms being tabula rasa at birth, research contradicts this:

Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10531533

"At birth" is probably to read as "at the start", whenever exactly that is.

As to the dog, yes. You're strict but fair to your dog, feed it well and show that you appreciate it. The dog judges you to be a highly valuable pillar in his life. The subconscious will emit the corresponding feelings of trust and love when you are there or the dog contemplates you (which I believe they are capable of).

If your behavior to the dog is unpredictable, your punishments and rewards handed out irrationally and the dog is often starving or locked up alone for a long time, the dog's subconscious will be programmed with resentment for you (and probably also distrust of other humans).

It's no different from what happens in the human case. The only difference is that the value judgements of human beings are much more complex, as man's reliance on reason is so much greater.

I have a funny example for this in cats: My girlfriend's mother's cat vet advised her to pick her up a few days after an unpleasent treatment, rather than right away. That way, the cat wouldn't link that treatment to her owner and the object of resentment would remain the vet alone.

If the cat was more rational, she would know who she really ought to be angry with! :smile:

Without any mind, no matter how simple, the cat could neither love nor hate. The very minimum is the identification - who-hooo, Randroid alert :smile: - of anything that could be the subject of love and hate.

Man, dogs, cats and chimps all have the same "depth" of emotion/feelings. It is just that humans make a better job of determining what they are - with reason.

It's like saying: Let's assume that there is a God who will punish you unless you sacrifice your son, would it then not be rational to comply?

It is not meaningless in societies where belief in a punishing god is still prevalent.

It's meaningless in the sense that you shouldn't kill your son, not even in such societies. That was the context.

But avoiding unnecessary suffering has not been universal to most societies. Just think of how long e. g. slavery was widespread (and still exists in some societies in the third world).

The wish to avoid unnecessary suffering has been universal.

It was always only the guilty/wicked/inhuman that were made to suffer, and it was always deemed "necessary".

At no point in history a thought such as "pointless suffering and injustice is a good thing" as been dominant enough to find its way into the history books.

There's always a God to please, a higher cause or something like that.

So your demand for the non-agression premise (that's really it, isn't it? the non-agression-principle) is futile. All I have to do to attack you is to delude myself into it being defence, or God's will or necessary in the process of saving the planet.

You want a lip service from me that I'm a nice guy. I don't think there are nice guys. Demand a sane guy, that's realistic. And sane.

You regard being cognitively mistaken about facts as immoral then? For this follows from your premise:

"There is no moral category beside the rational/cognitive" (john42t)

Would you consider being cognitively mistaken about facts as irrational?

No. If, for example, I should erroneously believe the capital of Australia to be Sydney, I would simply be wrong about a fact. Irrationality would come in if I still insisted on Sydney despite being confronted with evidence proving the capital to be Canberra.

It is not meaningless in societies where belief in a punishing god is still prevalent.

It's meaningless in the sense that you shouldn't kill your son, not even in such societies. That was the context.

It is true that it was a certain progress, indicating an ethical evolvement. For human sacrifices to a deity had been quite common in archaic societies.

You want a lip service from me that I'm a nice guy.

I want to examine your arguments. Since lip service doesn't qualify as argument, it would be of no relevance for the discussion.

I don't think there are nice guys. Demand a sane guy, that's realistic. And sane.

Maybe I just lucked out, but I happen to have known quite a few nice guys in my life. I have been married to one for many years actually. :smile:

It is true that it was a certain progress, indicating an ethical evolvement. For human sacrifices to a deity had been quite common in archaic societies.

And human sacrifices to society are still rather common.

Human sacrifices in general climaxed in the 20th century, indicating an ethical catastrophy.

I'm with you that there is an ethical development, but I'm not with you regarding the causes.

I don't think there are nice guys. Demand a sane guy, that's realistic. And sane.

Maybe I just lucked out, but I happen to have known quite a few nice guys in my life. I have been married to one for many years actually. :smile:

I'm sure my girl calls me a nice guy too.

The context got lost in both these threads of discussion.

My dog has emotions too. Are its emotions "automatic results of value-judgemnts integrated by its subconscious? Is the dog's mind 'subconsciously judging itself' when the animal expresses joy at being fed and taken for a walk? As for man's emotional and cognitive mechanisms being tabula rasa at birth, research contradicts this: Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10531533

Huh? At least we're moving up from ants and fish.

Dogs now. I have a border collie who can almost predict my actions. His breed is considered one of the most intelligent, rated the same as a 2-3 year old kid. So you want to tell me a 2-3 year old has no intelligence, or can't respond to stimuli, or can't form percepts, or has no emotions? So yes, no reason why a dog is not forming automatic value-judgments integrated by its subconscious.

Dumb argument.

My dog has emotions too. Are its emotions "automatic results of value-judgemnts integrated by its subconscious? Is the dog's mind 'subconsciously judging itself' when the animal expresses joy at being fed and taken for a walk? As for man's emotional and cognitive mechanisms being tabula rasa at birth, research contradicts this: Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10531533

Dogs now. I have a border collie who can almost predict my actions. His breed is considered one of the most intelligent, rated the same as a 2-3 year old kid. So you want to tell me a 2-3 year old has no intelligence, or can't respond to stimuli, or can't form percepts, or has no emotions? So yes, no reason why a dog is not forming automatic value-judgments integrated by its subconscious.

Dumb argument.

Dumb argument.

Barging in here. My son has an English bulldog, than which there is no dumber dog. Your collie is Einstein compared with Bodie.This adorable animal is now one year old, well past the age for being neutered. My son hesitates to do it because he does not want to "ruin his personality." His personality! My son is a 27 year old human, gainfully employed and with many endearing characteristics.

But you tell me, who is dumber here?

Agreed.

Neuter your son then!

Just trying to be helpful.

Dumb argument.

I have emotions.

--Brant

just for the record

The difference you make is important to oneself, but dangerous in communication with others. When you talk about virtues of integrity and honesty, others all to easily assume that you promote them for their own sake. They will then agree with you, although there's no actual agreement. The primary, fundamental part of morality is rationality. If someone considers a robber career, it should be argued how that will destroy his life rather than any lectures on how it hurts others - that is the honest way of dealing with people. Contrast this to the crap that is taught to innocent children. Those who teach children that virtues are to protect others from them don't misunderstand Objectivism. They sometimes understand it very well in that regard, and deep down they fear it to be true.

I don't quite get this, since I made it crystal clear the purpose of rational morality is for one's own sake.

If I have to talk (or write) about virtues, I've always qualified them the same way, openly, without fear, or worrying much if my explanation is misunderstood.

My personal striving for honesty and integrity is aimed at achieving my values. If my honesty turns out to be beneficial to people around me, I am happy for that. But it is not my purpose.

Agreed.

Neuter your son then!

Just trying to be helpful.

Not till I get another female into this family.

grandson 2 is arriving at the end of January.

Bachelor Andy is being heavily programmed to marry a girl with a lot of sisters. Is that scientific?

I don't quite get this, since I made it crystal clear the purpose of rational morality is for one's own sake.

I didn't say you weren't.

We two are not in disagreement about morality as far as I can see.

We came here because you suggested I might be misunderstood because of the way I phrase things.

I don't think I am. For example, I'm pretty sure that my disagreement with Angela (xray, that's your name, right? I keep forgetting it) is not just misunderstanding, but a genuine disagreement.

So are we aware of the process information goes through in the "rational faculty?"

We'd have to be aware of it, in some way, to be in control of it... Right?

If awareness is the involuntary reception of information--and I say 'involuntary' simply because we can't ask for something we aren't aware of--then what is ability without awareness? Consciousness can be divided into two components, awareness and ability, but I don't know if it's possible to pinpoint the bridge between the two. Like the conscious and subconscious mind... where is the hand-off?

We affect reality, which affects our experience... we do not directly affect our experience. We control our eyes, not what we see. I have a feeling awareness is intrinsically limited, which separates the causes of conscious actions. This would explain the parallel between our minds and physical causality. What I mean is: the forces at work in the Universe, and those going back into eternity, are not separate, but one fluid motion. Each perspective is limited and separate, and maintains a limited relationship with the same force that acts upon the rest of the Universe. ...just an idea.

Rationality, reason, intelligence... I think they're all the same, and they are all automatic. The variable is our level of awareness. A rational decision is a considerate one, nothing more.

Tony, I don't think emotions are integrations of subconscious self-judgments. You'd never feel sorry for someone if this was the case, because that has nothing to do with your own self-image. If you replaced 'self-judgments' with 'the result of your perception of reality meeting your values', then I think that would make more sense.

Barging in here. My son has an English bulldog, than which there is no dumber dog. Your collie is Einstein compared with Bodie.This adorable animal is now one year old, well past the age for being neutered. My son hesitates to do it because he does not want to "ruin his personality." His personality! My son is a 27 year old human, gainfully employed and with many endearing characteristics. But you tell me, who is dumber here?

Carol,

I know something about the bulldog - I've been friends with and have been owned by many dogs.

Snorting, grunting, sighing, wheezing, drooling barrel on ridiculously stunted legs.

Underslung jaw and quivering jowls which meant they all had to be named "Winston".

Very um, unremarkable, powers of cognition - but when he rolls his eyes adoringly up at you,he's the most beautiful fella in the world.

Tony

Rationality, reason, intelligence... I think they're all the same, and they are all automatic. The variable is our level of awareness. A rational decision is a considerate one, nothing more. Tony, I don't think emotions are integrations of subconscious self-judgments. You'd never feel sorry for someone if this was the case, because that has nothing to do with your own self-image. If you replaced 'self-judgments' with 'the result of your perception of reality meeting your values', then I think that would make more sense.

Calvin,

If you take anything from this it should be that rationality and reason are not automatic.

Thinking, practicing cognition, isn't necessarily being in the full focus of rationality.

"Emotions are the automatic results of man's value judgments integrated by his subconscious; emotions are estimates of that which threatens man's values, or threatens them, that which is FOR him, or against him - lightning calculators giving him the sum of his profit or loss."

Do you believe that emotions simply 'happen' to you? Are they cause, or effect?

We all have experienced introspecting an emotion, and knowing exactly how it came about - that goes for them all.

The two questions to ask: what am I feeling, why am I feeling it?

I would rephrase your statement: emotions are one's value-judgments (not "values")meeting reality. (Not "your perception of reality". One reality exists.)

One's "values" confronting reality is more the property of self-esteem, than emotions,are, I think.

Tony

The wish to avoid unnecessary suffering has been universal.

It was always only the guilty/wicked/inhuman that were made to suffer, and it was always deemed "necessary".

At no point in history a thought such as "pointless suffering and injustice is a good thing" as been dominant enough to find its way into the history books.

There's always a God to please, a higher cause or something like that.

So your demand for the non-aggression premise (that's really it, isn't it? the non-agression-principle) is futile. All I have to do to attack you is to delude myself into it being defence, or God's will or necessary in the process of saving the planet.

There's more to pathocentric ethics than the non-aggression principle. Pathocentric ethics is also action-orienied in that people can get socially engaged in stopping the suffering of other beings.
All I have to do to attack you is to delude myself into it being defence, or God's will or necessary in the process of saving the planet.

All your arguments to justify your actions would of course be rationally scrutinized for their validity. "God's will" for example would not pass the test because it is an epistemological fallacy. Pathocentric ethics is not only empathetic, it is also rational and based on empirical data.

Imo rationality combined with empathy are indispensable elements to build an ethics on.

Rand's trying to borrow from biology in order to transfer an "ought from is" to her moral system has failed because it was built on a wrong premise.

Why she needs the "ought to" for her ethics is quite obvious: For to demand that people morally "must" do this or that would go against the idea of individualism. A moral "must" is also too close to the idea of moral duty.

The idea that an individual *must* work for a living goes against the idea of individualism?

And this is close to the idea of moral duty?

This is quite a tough ethical issue, for it depends on the perspective from where you tackle it.

For example, that an individual must work for a living was an essential part of Communist Russia's collectivist ethics. So much in fact that this principle was made a law, threatening those who don't work with deprivation of food:

In accordance with Lenin’s understanding of the socialist state, article twelve of the 1936 Soviet Constitution states:

In the USSR work is a duty and a matter of honor for every able-bodied citizen, in accordance with the principle: “He who does not work, neither shall he eat.”

http://en.wikipedia....er_shall_he_eat

On the other hand, if you merely state as a fact that humans must work in order to survive, this is not yet a moral judgement. It can be used as the basis of a moral code though, but as shown in the Soviet Russia example, how the moral codes are then presented can vary substantially.

Another thing would interest me: how does the Objectivist ethics deal with individuals who actually don't have to work for a living because they have been born very rich?

If they don't show any desire to work productively in any field, would they be labeled as 'parasites'?

If yes, one can infer that they 'ought to' work productively, right? If the answer is yes again, wouldn't an "ought to" in that context connote some kind of moral duty?

If not, what does the "ought to" stand for? If it is a mere suggestion, it is too noncommittal.

If no serious consequences can be pointed out as the result (as in "You ought to stop smoking because you it is damaging to your health"), of what effect is an "ought to" at all?

(For in the case of an individual whose not-working does not have any negative financial consequences, pointing out "if-then" consequences would be ineffective).

If not, what does the "ought to" stand for? If it is a mere suggestion, it is too noncommittal.

The "ought to" is the same concept. It's exactly how I define morality: What you ought to do.

But "duty" is when you "ought to" do something that doesn't benefit you - that's what I would take as the definition for the word "duty". That's very much how Kant meant it I believe.

So when you "ought to" be selfish, there's no duty. That's the one thing you can't have a duty to, as that would contradict the definition of duty.

Rationality, reason, intelligence... I think they're all the same, and they are all automatic. The variable is our level of awareness. A rational decision is a considerate one, nothing more. Tony, I don't think emotions are integrations of subconscious self-judgments. You'd never feel sorry for someone if this was the case, because that has nothing to do with your own self-image. If you replaced 'self-judgments' with 'the result of your perception of reality meeting your values', then I think that would make more sense.

Calvin,

If you take anything from this it should be that rationality and reason are not automatic.

Thinking, practicing cognition, isn't necessarily being in the full focus of rationality.

"Emotions are the automatic results of man's value judgments integrated by his subconscious; emotions are estimates of that which threatens man's values, or threatens them, that which is FOR him, or against him - lightning calculators giving him the sum of his profit or loss."

Do you believe that emotions simply 'happen' to you? Are they cause, or effect?

We all have experienced introspecting an emotion, and knowing exactly how it came about - that goes for them all.

The two questions to ask: what am I feeling, why am I feeling it?

I would rephrase your statement: emotions are one's value-judgments (not "values")meeting reality. (Not "your perception of reality". One reality exists.)

One's "values" confronting reality is more the property of self-esteem, than emotions,are, I think.

Tony

If you don't understand why 2 + 2 = 4, are you irrational or unaware?

If I know what two means, and I know what four means, it's impossible for me to believe anything that contradicts 2 + 2 = 4.

If you agree that it's impossible, doesn't that support my claim that reason is automatic?

What I don't think is automatic is effort.

If you don't understand why 2 + 2 = 4, are you irrational or unaware? If I know what two means, and I know what four means, it's impossible for me to believe anything that contradicts 2 + 2 = 4. If you agree that it's impossible, doesn't that support my claim that reason is automatic? What I don't think is automatic is effort.

That's a redundancy. By definition, an effort cannot be automatic.

Your logic (2+2) required effort, because knowledge is not "received" (the fallacy of intrinsicism, or mysticism).

Once you arrive at "4", you can choose to evade that new knowledge, which is then a moral issue of irrational evasion.

Next, you need more effort to integrate "4" - without contradiction - into the sum of your present knowledge. (Concept formation).

Last, you have the choice to ACT upon this fresh concept, or not. Since you no longer can claim ignorance, it would be irrational ie immoral, to not do so.

(Please notice that the first step in the chain was "logical" - the next three, "rational".)

You still want to claim that reason is automatic?

The "ought to" is the same concept. It's exactly how I define morality: What you ought to do. But "duty" is when you "ought to" do something that doesn't benefit you - that's what I would take as the definition for the word "duty". That's very much how Kant meant it I believe. So when you "ought to" be selfish, there's no duty. That's the one thing you can't have a duty to, as that would contradict the definition of duty.

Yes, though I personally don't have a problem with "must" - as in man must be productive "as his noblest activity" (irrelevant that he has enough wealth); must be independent (holding his own mind as supreme); must be honest (ultimate respect for reality).

And so on, with all the virtues - geared at achieving and keeping his values.

It is this, the metaphysical state of what is proper to man, that Xray picks away at.

She has heard my own and others' arguments countless times, but hasn't stopped looking for ways to 'refute' Rand.

The last attempt - that Rand deliberately didn't use 'must' because it would counter the individualist ethics, is one of her most ludicrous.