Announcement - I am no longer on Solo

Thanks to all for the kind, and not so kind(damned GW) words. This past week has seen me in Chicago, Memphis, Little Rock, Bransen, Missouri & some god-foresaken place in Misissippi, so I've been long without modern conveniences such as internet access. And, thanks to Michael for posting my comments. I have several private emails to answer, and I promise to do so.

Tonight, I rest. Just completed an 8 hour drive, and am sleepy. I wanted to say a few words though, the most important of them of them all; "thanks."

In my heading things off at the pass in my post on SoloP, I stated my love for Barbara, but I almost forgot the diabolical role that MSK plays in current affairs, so I'll publicly set the record staight now--to those who would label me an OL-ite, I say that I love Michael and Kat and value what they have created.

To those who appreciate Tennyson---it's great to be home.

To Angie--You know how much I admire you in my heart, and I love how feisty you are. As for Gary, he and I go all the way back to hurricane Katrina, and quite frankly the guy is full of it. I would explain, but GW is not worth the time of day.

To GW--Out of respect for the fact that Kat's daughter reads this site, I'll leave off my expletives for you, and simply say to hell with you, along with a heapin' helpin' of "thanks". ;)

As for SoloP, I hope my statement was explanation enough. Suffice it to say, I haven't(literally) looked back. For the sake of knowledge, I also need to point out that I will no longer be frequenting RoR either. This is purely a matter of living my life and not having the time. I wish all who are there the best. So.....you guys and gals are stuck with me, as I've prioritized my values, and as far as on-line sites go, you are IT!!!

I'm sorry for this mish-mash post, but as I said, I've had a long few days on the road and in the air.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a quick clarification about RoR...I think that site has moved in a positive direction, and I truly wish them all the best. I suspect that I will continue to read things, and I would point friends to RoR. My decision to stop posting there, is one based strictly upon time constraints. I bear them no ill will, but instead prosperity.

Well!!!!!!!!!

Look who showed his punk ugly mug!

Long time no whine!

Wine-o binge I suspect!

Just so you know -

No one cares what you have to say,

We only want to see the pictures!!!!

Also,

Your expetives are my elixer! But I will never tell you that!

Your insipid comments bring tears to my eyes!

Oh, My, God!!!!

I think it is because you are starting to stank!...after such a damn long ass road trip! Oh my god, move away, move away, move away!!!!!

Shower! Man, shower!

Peeeeyeewwww!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Jody's back!!!!!!!!!

(Note to Chuck -

That is how we say "Golly, that Jody fellow, has returned." In Texan!")

Did I say that outloud?

Damn it, the freak will think I like him now!!!!!

Anyway, forums come and go.

Life moves on.

You are home.

You have a voice.

It will be heard.

Damn, you stank!.......For cry'n out loud.....take a shower!!!!!

You were missed!

gw

Oh, did you hear? I'm a homophobe!

Nothing like that in Branson I bet!

Welcome back!

Ya Punk!

> If you disagree well, disagree with talent, or disagree with a creative writing style, you will not be tolerated.

Wait, a minute, Michael...none of those applies to me????

How come I'm being tolerated?!

Now Ciro is on the the Honor Roll. He wasn't banned. He quit.

Lately, I find myself disagreeing with the majority of people on this forum, with whom I would not associate in my personal life, because they are people with a different sense of life, and with a different agenda than mine.  

Linz. your acquaintance has been of great pleasure to me, I think it is time for me to leave.

I do not think is correct to write and be a member of a forum where I do not belong.

If things go according to the normal course, his account will be cancelled. Maybe not, but probably.

Edit - The account has remained open. You actually need to be moderated or have your account canceled on SLOP to be a full fledged member of the Honor Roll, but Ciro can be an honorary member with high honors.

Welcome to the Honor Roll, Ciro!

Michael

Wait, a minute, Michael...none of those applies to me????  

How come I'm being tolerated?!

Phil,

All rules in life for human conduct have exceptions. Even the rule I just said. You are an exception, with the following reservations:

The reason you are tolerated is because you let those people judge YOU in the vilest terms as a person, but you do not judge them back in the same manner. You merely judge specific statements or actions, leaving implicit that they are honorable people. They feel no threat from you and they habitually bask in the unearned, so you are tolerated.

Besides, your token opposition to specific points they can nitpick and sidestep to death allows them to repeat insults and foul language to their petty heart's content, while giving the false impression of discussing the issue.

For the record, my opinion is that you disagree well with statements and actions of people you consider honorable. I cannot evaluate how you disagree with ones you consider dishonorable because I have not seen it.

That does not mean that you do not disagree with any dishonorable people; merely that I have not seen you treat anyone as dishonorable, even when they have treated you as such.

I have a suspicion. I once wrote about the difference between strategy (long range) and tactic (short range) in the practical application of principles, using "turn the other cheek" to illustrate the difference. I think I am seeing that in real-life action.

Michael

Jody,

Nice to see you back. I happen to agree with you about gw. The majority of his posts translate to a self absorbed "Wah! Wah! Wah!" The temper tantrums of a two year old. Yawn.

Mike Erickson

Mike:

~~ Hope you don't find 'squiggles' all that 'annoying'. :D No one ever asked, but, I'll here explain: I never used them on SOLOHQ/RoR because their (its'?) format(s) accepted spaces as paragraph indentations. I can't stand paragraphs without indents, for some reason (probably book-reading habit); hence in these other formats, I 'squiggle' (actually, 'tilde', for ignorant non-reader moderators at other forums, [ahem]), the paragraph beginnings.

~~ You are correct: I've merely been 'moderated' by Linz, but, I accept it as a ban. I'll not be posting (airbrushing here) 'there' again. I clarified to Linz how he may get me to stop posting there (without his necessitating a ban...ergo finding some excuse beyond being 'annoyed') after he hinted that he didn't like my posts (and I do believe 'squiggles' were the least of his annoyances), and he chose to refer to my request for straightforward talk as my so-called 'recommendation' to him for him to moderate me. :---) --- Well, this kid can certainly take a hint. Linz and claque (as R. Campbell accurately identifies such) clearly don't want, as I explicated to Fred (I shan't 'name-call' here...well, except for 'claque') generically, disagreers or even questioners of their accepted views on who should be denigrated, Linz' open-debate claims, nwst. Linz clearly wants ONLY 'supporters' on his site; but, 'supporters' for w-h-a-t? To my mind, what adds up here is 'supporters of Linz' means those involved in chronic denigrations (including name-calling) ONLY of people/groups he dis-likes.' Why does the concept mini-'Warlord' come-to-mind? Unfortunate. :-k #-o

~~ Some, not aware of the context, might wonder (as Fred myopically, knowingly, and purposefully non-contextually did in his follow-up post to mine), :---) how *I* could declaim the lack of 'civility' and 'politeness' (as has often been my wont) in the same post where I then proceeded to use the tactic Linz-and-claque use in denigrating the worth of disagreers: name-calling. The answer is not only within that post of mine (which you linked to: thank you) in the 'P.S.' re Gump; it should also be obvious from Fred's previous post to/about moi. --- I don't take ignorant-based, conclusion-jumping insults lightly, as some here in your forum are aware of. I've argued that 'flaming' should never be mixed with rational-arguments (pointless distractions re-focussing posts to be no more than 1-upmanship...if continued), BUT, as I have argued elsewhere, they do have their place as a 'good-bye', re responding back, once. Further, to explicate my paraphrasing of Gump: 'Dis-respect' is gotten, as dis-respect is given,' or, as an old saying goes, 'One good insult deserves another.' Fred gave; I returned...in spades. I only regret that I added 'Five-Fingers-Freddy' rather than the more apropos 'Five-Knife-Fingers-Freddy', since most of his posts are destructive-oriented. Still, I'm sure that mentioning Freddy Krueger got the, er, points, across. :evil:

~~ I found your explication re Kat's banning a bit conflicting from Linz' :---) explanation. Guess who I (and pretty well anyone who reads both sides) believe? :-$ Ergo, I see no reason to suspect that you're exaggerating re Linz' behind-the-scenes style of promoting one thread/subject/view/attitude over another, hence, I find his explanations about anything to be expectably 'off-the-mark' from here on out. Really makes me wonder what Diana and James V. see in him or his site as worthwhile...at this point, that is. :-k --- Anyhoo, I'll not get into them and Chris S. here :-# ; another thread, some other time.

~~ Phil'll have to fight them on his own. No doubt, like Dagny, he'll discover the pointlessness of it sooner or later. :?:

~~ As you may have noticed, I don't often comment on the 3 (er, 2 now) forums, nowadays as I once used to; nothing major beyond life-dealings with growing kids (one a time-consuming diabetic). Though, when I do, as here, I do seem to make up for lost time. You and I have diffs about Rand, the Brandens, Valliant, and, maybe Hsieh :-({|= ; so far, not about Sciabarra or Linz. :D/ --- I'll pop in once in a while...somewhere here. As I said: "Nice place. Lottsa room." =D>

LLAP

Rowlf, er, John

P.S. Re this 'Honor Roll'. Think maybe, the way your list is growing, you oughtta set up a special 'Monument Wall'?

P.P.S. I see that you STILL haven't got the 'whistle'-Smiley to work yet. Let's get with it, Ok?

It is likely the most pathetic tempest-in-a-teapot scenario out there for public consumption.

What I mean by saying that is The Movement<tm> has turned inward on itself; so badly so that it resembles satire.

It is the micro, attempting to behave as the macro, yet it cannot. Why?

Pathology, most likely.

It is either that, or the kind of tedious factionalizing that is always associated with engagements where the orthodox, the fundamentalist, is involved.

Objectivism is not immune to this, though off the rip one would surely think there would be at least a little insulation, what with it being primarily associated with the fundamental right of the individual to exist, on their own terms, so long as they do not interfere with the right of others to do so.

I believe that is the fundamental.

Where it comes funny is, I suppose, the "social metaphysics" (or as I equate it, narcissism) aspect of this. In other words, the premise for understanding, of the "group" (those associated with AR/O). Meaning, on the outside, this very basic premise, as I put above, is a given.

However, that doesn't stop the nefarious from being nefarious.

There are needs that those with low self-esteem (for one thing) harbor.

And these needs will articulate in a group enviro; where else would be better to play?

That is why you have the Perigos, and so forth. Fred Weiss makes a fine example these days- how he associates himself with what he perceives as momentum.

I do not understand the reasoning, nor the sentiment of these kind of folks. Or maybe I do, and it makes me embarrassed. Their doings make me uncomfortable and ginchy; I can only hope that there is a piece of them that feels likewise.

That is because I truly do not condemn, at least more than I feel I have to.

I came from years of Objectivism, and yes, I converted; I am a Unitarian. What I have learned from this is not an easy lesson- to temper my judgement with tolerance, with forgiveness.

These hardcore folks, they are wrapped in the judging. It is difficult to move past that concept. Recently I see threads about tolerance, and that is a good start. I certainly haven't been the best at that, recently. I felt an attack happening.

But, forgiveness? I would be sorely suprised to see very much of that going down around here, these days.

rde

As this text example shows it isn't necessary to use squiggles to get paragraph indentations. As this text example shows it isn't necessary to use squiggles to get paragraph indentations. As this text example shows it isn't necessary to use squiggles to get paragraph indentations. As this text example shows it isn't necessary to use squiggles to get paragraph indentations.

This is a test. Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi. Abracadabra. Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind? C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron. This is a test. Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi. Abracadabra. Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind? C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron. This is a test. Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi. Abracadabra. Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind? C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron.

'Fly:

~~ Thank you for your, as usual, obviously non-condescending, respectful, diplomatic, polite, and civil 'show(off)-and-tell'; don't work for me, ignoramus, unlike vous, that moi is. --- Old habits die hard...for all of us, obviously. #-o

~~ I almost forgot why I stopped reading your...stuff...almost. Apparently I'll have to make a special effort whenever I post here.

~~ Would you please...bug off? =; or :-$ --- My post was addressed to Mike, Freddy.

J-D

P.S: Your repitition within the same paragraph contradicted your point...but, that's nothing new, as per your self-styled 'refutation' of LP's A-S argument ("[LP]...didn't 'define' ice..." over-and-over, irrelevently I might add). --- No: you'll not be hearing from me again; comment away...for others to read. Try SOLOP for that matter.)

P.S: Your repitition within the same paragraph contradicted your point.

Perhaps someone can explain this? I see nowhere a contradiction.

but, that's nothing new, as per your self-styled 'refutation' of LP's A-S argument ("...didn't 'define' ice..." over-and-over, irrelevently I might add

People keep telling me that my refutation of LP's argument is not correct, but I'm still waiting for any good argument against it (I won't hold my breath, that would be unhealthy). BTW, my argument doesn't hinge on the definition of 'ice', that's merely an illustration by a rather unfortunate example given by Peikoff himself.

Try SOLOP for that matter

Surely you're joking mr. Dailey?

Come on you guys. This has now turned into the Love Thread. It's wonderful to see all the different and wonderful temperments on this thread and on OL. It's an eclectic group of people. It's who we are as individuals. There are those that are proper to those who are cock eyed bristle haired hyenas :D It's all good. It's the LOVE THREAD.....LOL

Jody, it is wonderful to hear that you are back and you know I've always got your back !!

Always Fiesty

Angie

Dragonfly,

How on earth did you do that? Would you mind sharing? I haven't been able to yet.

John,

You are a good guy. I am not worried about our differences since truth tends to surface over time among rational people of good will. You are always welcome here.

btw - Dragonfly is a good guy too. He comes off as condescending at times, but that is often a manner of expression only (English is not his native language). From my interactions with him, he is not condescending in the least. I do see him preempt defensiveness at times, which can be confused with being condescending, but I attribute that to the fact that he has been cussed from one end to the other on other Objectivist forums for merely expressing an idea contrary to the different party lines - and he really, really, really does not like to be cussed.

I don't think anybody does. From your interactions on SLOP, you don't either.

Dragonfly is very intelligent and challenges many ideas in Objectivism well. If my ideas are going to be challenged, I want the best there is to do it. I don't need to convince a challenger. I need to convince myself. That is what makes me strong. I leave the childish game of "trouncing" and cussing easy intellectual enemies and hollering like Tarzan to the pig sty.

Michael

Michael:

How on earth did you do that? Would you mind sharing? I haven't been able to yet.

Type: & nbsp; but then without the space between the & and the n. That will generate a space. Just copy it a few times and voilà, you have an indentation.

I'm still curious to know what contradiction my message contained.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test. This is a test.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly. Everybody is immoral but Dragonfly.

Cool...

Thank you.

//;-))

Michael

This is a test. Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi. Abracadabra. Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind? C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspTaking the test.

The Latin is roughly: That is permitted to the gods which is not to the cows (to the beasts, as it were).

"Abracadabra" needs no translation.

The German is the first line of The Erlking, nicht wahr? (I don't know how to do an umlaut, so gave the title in English.) "Who rides so late through night and wind?"

The French I need help with (could check a French dictionary, but that would be cheating).

Ellen

___

The German is the first line of The Erlking, nicht wahr? (I don't know how to do an umlaut, so gave the title in English.

Correct. You make the ö by typing <alt>148 (use the numeric keypad). And if your system doesn't allow umlauts, you can always use the "e" instead: Erlkoenig.

The French I need help with (could check a French dictionary, but that would be cheating).

I'll give you a hint: forger = to forge, un forgeron = a blacksmith.

You make the ö by typing <alt>148 (use the numeric keypad). And if your system doesn't allow umlauts, you can always use the "e" instead: Erlkoenig.

Testing:

Erlk148nig [Edit: That didn't work.]

I'll give you a hint: forger = to forge, un forgeron = a blacksmith.

Is it something like producing a mish-mash, then? "C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron." Roughly: That's the handiwork of a mad blacksmith?

French-challenged E

(I'm basically challenged in German, too, though I know that a bit better than French; and sad to say -- since I love Latin -- my Latin has grown terribly rusty. You just happened to select a saying all the words of which I knew.)

___

Erlk148nig [Edit: That didn't work.]

Either you didn't press the alt key, or you didn't use the numeric keypad (or the numlock was out) but the numbers on the first row of the keyboard. It should work at least on every PC.

C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron." Roughly: That's the handiwork of a mad blacksmith?

No, literally it says: It is by forging that one becomes a blacksmith (devenir = to become). I once was thinking of adapting it as a motto for an ex libris, but at last the thought of putting an ex libris in all my books was too much for me.

Either you didn't press the alt key, or you didn't use the numeric keypad (or the numlock was out) but the numbers on the first row of the keyboard. It should work at least on every PC.

I did press the alt key, and did use the numeric keypad (and the numlock doesn't do anything on my keyboard). I don't have a PC, but instead a Mac. Does that make a difference?

The mad blacksmith E

(So how would one refer to a mad blacksmith in French?

Laughing out loud.)

___

I did press the alt key, and did use the numeric keypad (and the numlock doesn't do anything on my keyboard). I don't have a PC, but instead a Mac. Does that make a difference?

Oh, that's possible, I don't know anything about Macs, although I'd think they must have some similar procedure. But I've found another trick for you, just type: & #246; or & ouml; but then without the space after the "&".

So how would one refer to a mad blacksmith in French?

That would be: un forgeron fou.