9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Samantha Bee is mediocre and one-dimensional hack (thus not very funny outside of a small political niche audience), but now advertisers are pulling out from her show because she said one more vile filthy comment about a politician. This isn't the first time, fer goddsake.

I am against the advertisers doing this just as much as I am against what the suits did to Roseanne for trashing a politician.

When backroom folks tie advertising on comedy shows to obeying Big Brother on political discourse, we open the door to a new kind of crony corporatism. And comedy gets closer to the end point of death by a thousand cuts. (American mainstream comedians are already not funny anymore.)

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, and you don't mind extinguishing laughter from our culture because you are politically outraged, it sucks to be you.

Seriously. You need to get laid or something.

Michael

Well, I think the essence of good comedy is in presenting the reality of people and situations and our behaviors and attitudes, in such an original way, that it strikes the funny bone through its truthfulness. In other words, there is something objective -and serious- underlying good humor. e.g. George Carlin, and many others. We've had generations of distorting spin-offs from that standard until we arrive at the point comedy is empty of standards: nothing matters. Isn't that hilarious? Self-irony, or superior and snide giggling at anything or anyone which could be considered 'good' in the least, is now considered cool. And also the general fare we get from films is a mixing of contradicting genres: romantic comedy, ("romcoms" which are often sentimentalist and unfunny) horror comedy, zombie comedy, apocalypse comedy, etc., While from "reality comedy" shows, comes nasty political satire (polcom?) - or some 'standup comic' expressing on stage, to uneasy laughter, the subjective emanations of his/her little mind and shallow feelings (emocom?). 

Getting back to Roseanne, I just heard part of a video where Rush Limbaugh said the reason the mainstream media was so gleeful about ABC cancelling Roseanne, even while losing about $50-60 million in ad revenue was that this is exactly what the left dreams of doing to President Trump. (This is my paraphrase, obviously.)

They wake up every day certain that this is the day they finally get the Trump Tweet or gaffe that will take him down. One where he will go too far. They dream of this so hard they can't stand it. So when something like the Roseanne case comes along, they go batshit crazy in a feeding frenzy

Roseanne was simply a stand-in for President Trump in their grubby little deluded souls.

:)

Michael

4 hours ago, anthony said:

Well, I think the essence of good comedy is in presenting the reality of people and situations and our behaviors and attitudes, in such an original way, that it strikes the funny bone through its truthfulness. In other words, there is something objective -and serious- underlying good humor. e.g. George Carlin, and many others. We've had generations of distorting spin-offs from that standard until we arrive at the point comedy is empty of standards: nothing matters. Isn't that hilarious? Self-irony, or superior and snide giggling at anything or anyone which could be considered 'good' in the least, is now considered cool. And also the general fare we get from films is a mixing of contradicting genres: romantic comedy, ("romcoms" which are often sentimentalist and unfunny) horror comedy, zombie comedy, apocalypse comedy, etc., While from "reality comedy" shows, comes nasty political satire (polcom?) - or some 'standup comic' expressing on stage, to uneasy laughter, the subjective emanations of his/her little mind and shallow feelings (emocom?). 

And it is funny if the protagonists are not very nice people, like on "Seinfeld," and the newer show, "MOM' who is played by ?Alison Janney? It's funny to see them get the skewer. So many "Seinfeld" episodes ended with them getting their Just Desserts.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

And it is funny if the protagonists are not very nice people, like on "Seinfeld," and the newer show, "MOM' who is played by ?Alison Janney? It's funny to see them get the skewer. So many "Seinfeld" episodes ended with them getting their Just Desserts.  

I haven't seen Mom. Coincidentally, recently been watching the entire Seinfeld series, and must disagree with not very nice people, although mostly they do receive their just desserts, i.e. not escaping reality, but not cruelly. The character Jerry is actually a decent and thoughtful guy who is often put into tricky situations by his friends' shenanigans and insecurities. There again, is that element of truth about people underneath the funny. Seinfeld humor is smart and gentle, not crossing the line into 'sophisticated', postmodern self-irony and cynicism. The really good humorists had that knack, too many now think they have to be nasty, slick and dark to impress. You seen "Barry" - a newish dark humor series about some depressed hitman, wannabe L.A. actor? - boring, once you know its plot-premise. Bloody violence and laughter are an unappetizing mixture. Before black humor became formulaic, I liked some, such as the movie Fargo. (And I really liked Two and a Half Men (the first series with Charley, only!), but can't enjoy the snideness of Big Bang Theory - for me -- "not very nice people").

You've convinced me to reevaluate my "Seinfeld" theories. "Two and a Half Men" is great to watch even in reruns. I think the key to rooting for naughty, flawed characters is that they are mostly good. You need to wince when the door gets slammed in their face.

"The Big Bang Theory" has a spinoff called "Young Shelden" and it is very good. He is an 8 year old going to high school, who corrects the teachers when they are wrong. He is always truthful, and will instantly tell someone they look bad in those clothes. The "naughty character" is his grandmother, played by Annie Potts. In that part of Texas they call a grandmother, a "meemaw."   

Never-Trumper writer and GOP ad-man Rick Wilson unleashes his heady humour on Roseanne ...

rickWilsonRoseanneSeason2reboot.png